The 'Please' Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PDVD_255.jpg

PDVD_261.jpg

Does this mean anything? I have often wondered what all the kissing means. Is it kissing in the first black and white dreamworld section, and then violence in the colour real world section?

Its a beautiful video. I'm not sure that I understand it. My daughter believes the little girl can't fly because she doesn't have a beanie :cute: But I reckon its probably a whole lot more complicated that that. :mad:

iheartlemon said:
This is definately an amazing U2 song, and pretty much the only one of its kind. I like it a lot because its bass line gives it almost an jazzy feel to it. This song has definately the best bass line I've ever heard in any song.

Its my favourite bass line in a U2 song. I agree with you.

beli said:

PDVD_249.jpg

Mr Patronising Bastard, Wife, and more Catholic ornaments than even MissVelvetDress.

I like this part the best... maybe those are not the right words to say, but I do...

Notice how "the wife" is standing and only kneeling when "the bastard" comes home...

This is the most powerfull video U2 ever made... sadly, I don't think most people "got it".

I like symbols, I like symbolism...
I think this video is showing the world like that (part in B&W) to show people, to make them realise how silly and sad at the same time it is to "kneel", to beg while the rest is living a normal life...

I don't want to get into religious parts of the video... but an image of a bishop kneeling in front of of this old man is so :ohmy: and at the same time so REAL... in a way "it should be like this" or at least the foundation of christianity is saying so... but we all know the reality.

I think this video is realy made for people to think for a while... something people are not used to watching MTV...

Bathiu, please do discuss the religious parts of the video. I'm an Atheist so I'm sure I'm missing a lot of religious references.

And I agree with you. It is U2 most powerful video.

I also agree that the part where the wife is standing but starts kneeling when her husband comes home, and he in turn was kneeling but stands up when he returns home, is a very powerful image.

Last edited:
top 5 song for me as well.
best u2 song from the last 13 years
musically and and lyrically it's u2 at their peak
excellent video - when you want great videos you call corbijn

beli said:
Bathiu, please do discuss the religious parts of the video. I'm an Atheist so I'm sure I'm missing a lot of religious references.

And I agree with you. It is U2 most powerful video.

I also agree that the part where the wife is standing but starts kneeling when her husband comes home, and he in turn was kneeling but stands up when he returns home, is a very powerful image.

OK... but I might be wrong... it is only my interpretation:
IMO
1st side of the video
- people are on their knees because they are begging for forgiveness, kneeling in front of the God him/her-self
- little girl is not on her knees because she is a child, she's innocent...
- the old man is not kneeling because he doesn't have to (to GOD I mean), through suffering he already has a place in heaven (to say in the most simple way), and we even see it at the end of the video...
2nd side of the video
- it's all just a mask... people are "religious" just to "show off" (kind of like american republicans) they are "kneeling" outside but thinking diferent at home
- home is like a temple... but it is a (stereotype) husband that is a "God" there... that's why the wife did not have to kneel while the "God" wasn't there (and as a suffering one don't have to kneel to the true God)

And the old man flying at the end is - I think - his ascension.

Last edited:
...and when the colors come out the simbolism is out of the way... it's the real world... probably as a contrast.

bathiu said:
an image of a bishop kneeling in front of of this old man is so :ohmy: and at the same time so REAL... in a way "it should be like this" or at least the foundation of christianity is saying so... but we all know the reality.

What I wanted to say here is that priests, bishops...etc should be servants, pastors they should care about people, help them etc. that's what Jesus wanted (at least what's left of his teachings is saying so)...
But it's not that hard to find examples of something totaly diferent.

...and it is bishop that SHOULD "kneel" before the old man, because the old man is more important in God's eyes... we all know how this is working in the real world.

Last edited:
I have to say for me.......please is one of the best pieces u2 have written. Larrys drumming is superb as is adams bass playin. Should get an airing on the bomb tour preferably 21st june at glasgow. Not too bothered after that

beli said:
Does this mean anything? I have often wondered what all the kissing means. Is it kissing in the first black and white dreamworld section, and then violence in the colour real world section?

I've always thought it was a comment on how we tend to put a mask over everything.

The world really isn't such a nice place to be right now, but we drain the horrors (or colours) out until it looks like what we want to see -- ie love, kissing.

The old man is saying "Please, just look around you! Open your eyes! Don't ignore the violence, do something about it!"
He represents wisdom -- he's the only one who is looking at the world in true colour. In the end he seems overcome by the misery of what he alone sees, and dies.

The little girl is hope for the future. She takes on the old man's thankless job of constantly trying to remind people that there is another side to their 'ideal' world.

In short --
B/W = World people see when they look out the window. Everything looks fine in my backyard, must be like that everywhere.
Colour = Real world with violence and hatred.

I'm not saying this is the right interpretation, bathiu's made a lot of sense to me as well -- This is just how I see it.
My interpretation of SATS is alot like this too, so maybe it's just what I think about from day to day more than an actual interpretaion. Either way, it works for me! :D

Hope it helps you beli! :wink:

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I do actually like the song too! It normally wanders around Number 1, 2 and 3 in my favourite songs list.

Last edited:
Best thing in the video is NO NAME street.
Love the video, but hate the sound from it.
Album version:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
I'm :mad: because i can't make such thing

Back
Top Bottom