The Plan to Leak Mercy to the Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's just about he worst thing you can do for this song. It's U2's best song in 14 years and if you really want them to put it on any album I wouldn't let any radio stations know about it. If anything it will make U2 think: Ok, everyone's heard Mercy now, we can't put it on the album because people will already be sick of it.

It could also get that radio station in some huge trouble, as well as a bunch of us on here for sharing it.

Irishteen said:
You can buy Mercy on a cd in Dublin, its HTDAAB + Mercy and its 30 euro, this shop plays the cd's it has in there, and it played Mercy one day when i was in there, so i don't need to hear it on the radio because i have heard it being piped into a shop, at full volume it was great.

really? :eyebrow: must be a bootleg... U2 bootlegs :drool:

I don't want Mercy split into three tracks either, but at least WE will always have the original. And it's not impossible for U2 to improve upon it - U2 can do anything :wink:

Does anyone have the song Take You Down? I've never heard it...

OK guys, here are the YSI files. Take You Down:

s50. .com/d.aspx?id=0I094JM8WY0MT3KVOLD2FJXYD4

This one is for Mercy:

s30. .com/d.aspx?id=3Q5SZ59HAYDFK0KRDZU880AYZW

And yes, U2 can do anything they want with their song. I'm sure they've realized what they've got in their hands. But most certainly, they CAN (and HAVE) made better versions of previous songs. It's a win-win situation for us: if we like the "production version", we also have the "prototype"; and if we don't like their release, we STILL have the old Mercy.

angelordevil said:
Well said....Mercy is U2's gem, and it's not for us to take ownership of or exploit. I do have it on my mp3 player, so maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite...but I think there's a difference in 'us' having it and forcing radio to play it.

Yeah, that is a bit hypocritical. So you're okay with people spreading it around so far as you're able to get it, right?

But the less-privileged U2 fans or ones who aren't connected like us have to wait possibly 2 years, if they ever hear it at all?

No way.

And I'll go back to a previous point--the notion that this song is "unfinished" is ridiculous. The song was dropped when they were deciding on the tracklist. I don't believe any further recording was done at that point, certainly nothing noteworthy. It's as finished as Fast Cars. If they tamper with it, don't think it won't suffer.

Also, whatever happens with leaking it to the radio still won't expose it on some kind of national or global scale. If someone on the other side of the world hasn't heard it by now, they aren't likely to hear it on some indie Los Angeles station. The idea is to create a bigger rumble of rumor about the song than there is now. The DJs will know about it. Perhaps journalists will become curious and ask the band. Robert Hilburn of the Los Angeles Times, for one.

The idea that U2 would get all petulant and withhold the song as a punishment for a small group of fans is a bit far fetched. Either it's something they've shelved in their minds or it's something they're going to use as a segue to the next record. I think it's more likely that it would spurn them into action. It's also not likely that people will "get sick of it" due to a leak. It will take a long time for those waves to get rolling. If they really are trying to put something out in 2006, Mercy won't become old hat. It's not an overplayable single type of song anyway.

I think it's very realistic to imagine the band hearing about the leak, being a bit shocked at their inability to control their music, but then getting a kick out of the fans' midwiving of the song. Maybe they soundcheck it to air it out. And then maybe they play it. In Los Angeles. Where it all started.

You people love to pass around any unreleased thing you can get your hands on. Stuff like Salome (Achtung Baby stolen tapes), that you theoretically have no right to own. How many of you have the Unreleased and Rarities songs from the iTunes boxes set that wasn't paid for? The band's position on that kind of material is not the same as their feelings on fans taping shows. So to sit here and get all protective and self-righteous is hypocrisy plain and simple. Don't do Paul McGuinne$$'s work for him.

laz

lazarus said:

Yeah, that is a bit hypocritical. So you're okay with people spreading it around so far as you're able to get it, right?

But the less-privileged U2 fans or ones who aren't connected like us have to wait possibly 2 years, if they ever hear it at all?

No way.

And I'll go back to a previous point--the notion that this song is "unfinished" is ridiculous. The song was dropped when they were deciding on the tracklist. I don't believe any further recording was done at that point, certainly nothing noteworthy. It's as finished as Fast Cars. If they tamper with it, don't think it won't suffer.

Also, whatever happens with leaking it to the radio still won't expose it on some kind of national or global scale. If someone on the other side of the world hasn't heard it by now, they aren't likely to hear it on some indie Los Angeles station. The idea is to create a bigger rumble of rumor about the song than there is now. The DJs will know about it. Perhaps journalists will become curious and ask the band. Robert Hilburn of the Los Angeles Times, for one.

The idea that U2 would get all petulant and withhold the song as a punishment for a small group of fans is a bit far fetched. Either it's something they've shelved in their minds or it's something they're going to use as a segue to the next record. I think it's more likely that it would spurn them into action. It's also not likely that people will "get sick of it" due to a leak. It will take a long time for those waves to get rolling. If they really are trying to put something out in 2006, Mercy won't become old hat. It's not an overplayable single type of song anyway.

I think it's very realistic to imagine the band hearing about the leak, being a bit shocked at their inability to control their music, but then getting a kick out of the fans' midwiving of the song. Maybe they soundcheck it to air it out. And then maybe they play it. In Los Angeles. Where it all started.

You people love to pass around any unreleased thing you can get your hands on. Stuff like Salome (Achtung Baby stolen tapes), that you theoretically have no right to own. How many of you have the Unreleased and Rarities songs from the iTunes boxes set that wasn't paid for? The band's position on that kind of material is not the same as their feelings on fans taping shows. So to sit here and get all protective and self-righteous is hypocrisy plain and simple. Don't do Paul McGuinne$$'s work for him.

laz

Take a chill pill, Lazzy baby....

Do you know for certain that Mercy is finished? I understand that Mercy almost made the album, but is it the same version that we've heard? I'd be prepared to bet money that the mp3 that has been floating around these quarters is not the finished song. It sounds liek it hasn't been mixed properly, and obviously hasn't been mastered. Maybe its just the demo for the song, or an early version....I don't know, and neither does anyone else except the band. The point is that leaking Mercy to the radio may jeopardize that band's future plans for the song. Don't kid yourself, if an LA radio station plays the song it will make international news. It will piss off the band. Maybe they're already pissed that the song got leaked. Or maybe they were the ones who leaked it to us. The band has made no public statements regarding this, so to equate it with the Hansa bootlegs might not be appropriate. Maybe, maybe, maybe - its all speculation. Who knows? Let's not force the band's hand on this one. The song will likely come out the way the band wants it to be heard by the public, and even if it isn't, we'll always have this great "unheard" song that we can drool over. radio airplay is not the way to go.

lazarus said:

So to sit here and get all protective and self-righteous is hypocrisy plain and simple. Don't do Paul McGuinne$$'s work for him.

laz

And I thought we were family :sad:

You obviously have some anger issues.:eyebrow: I think there's a massive difference in sharing the rough cut of Mercy I have and pushing it on radio...just because a friend shares a manuscript with you or your family doesn't give you the right to send it to Doubleday without their permission.

angelordevil said:

:up: Well said....Mercy is U2's gem, and it's not for us to take ownership of or exploit. I do have it on my mp3 player, so maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite...but I think there's a difference in 'us' having it and forcing radio to play it.

I think there is huge difference. I have it on my iPod, yes, but I'm not pushing/giving it out in a commercial setting. I think there is a large amount of difference there. :shrug:

AtomicBono said:

I don't want Mercy split into three tracks either, but at least WE will always have the original. And it's not impossible for U2 to improve upon it - U2 can do anything :wink:

Well said. No matter what happens, we still have one hell of a good "version" or copy or whatever the hell you want to call it, of Mercy. Great song...like what someone said - the best in years. And deserves recognition.

I would actually like it if Bono would improve upon the lyrics... although I believe I am in the minority when I said that. :reject:

starvinmarvin said:
Do you know for certain that Mercy is finished? I understand that Mercy almost made the album, but is it the same version that we've heard? I'd be prepared to bet money that the mp3 that has been floating around these quarters is not the finished song. It sounds liek it hasn't been mixed properly, and obviously hasn't been mastered. Maybe its just the demo for the song, or an early version....I don't know, and neither does anyone else except the band. The point is that leaking Mercy to the radio may jeopardize that band's future plans for the song. Don't kid yourself, if an LA radio station plays the song it will make international news. It will piss off the band. Maybe they're already pissed that the song got leaked. Or maybe they were the ones who leaked it to us. The band has made no public statements regarding this, so to equate it with the Hansa bootlegs might not be appropriate. Maybe, maybe, maybe - its all speculation. Who knows? Let's not force the band's hand on this one. The song will likely come out the way the band wants it to be heard by the public, and even if it isn't, we'll always have this great "unheard" song that we can drool over. radio airplay is not the way to go.

Once again, Mercy probably sounds poorly mixed because...IT'S A LEAKED RECORDING! Who knows how many generations were lost before it hit the internet? Also, we know that Fast Cars and Mercy were both dropped at the same time after a band meeting. That article/interview was done after the completion of recording. Sure everything is speculation, but having Mercy at all seems hard to believe. The notion that we have some earlier version is even less likely.

"Leaking Mercy may jeopardize the band's future plans for the song". In what way? It sure as hell wouldn't have been the first single off the next album. If anything it creates talk about what the next album will sound like and whets people's appetites. The idea that they are going into darker territory again is good news for their hype machine.

Sorry, but I don't see an L.A. indie station playing Mercy as international news, unless you are putting U2 fan sites in the same category as AP and UPI. It certainly won't be making the front page of Yahoo. Yeah, there might be a little blurb on Rolling Stone's site or something, but to make it out to be some potential international scandal is exaggeration.

And we know the song will be dealt with the way the band wants to--that's obvious. They do whatever the hell they want. But I've questioned their judgement a lot in the last five years--the choices made for the last Best Of, the New Mixes, ATYCLB, some of the production elements on the new album...and frankly I don't trust them to keep it as is.

The reason there hasn't been a public statement is because this isn't that big of a deal. It isn't their entire working tapes for their new groundbreaking album, like Salome was. It's one song. A finished song that was this/close to making the last album.

Better a leaked version of this Mercy DOESN'T make the new album than a watered-down version DOES make it. When they see the response to the song perhaps they will realize what they've created and give it the stature it deserves.

Last edited:
i am going to be blunt and get warned by the mods

but if anyone does this, they are simply a fucking asshole for all the reasons stated in this thread. the song is not YOURS. you did not record it, you don't even know if that's the freaking copy that would have gone on the album. It could have been a rough demo, ala electrical storm. Maybe it's set to be the centerpiece of their next album, and because somebody wants to give it to the radio station to force U2's hand is crap. maybe you don't want to see mercy cut up into three tracks, but what if it is and gives us three kickass songs ala the fly ultraviolet? and then you STILL have the original copy of mercy to listen to.

yeah. don't leave it to the band to fuck it up when theyre the ones who made it in the first place. it's their tune, not yours. or mine. and as somebody said, there's a huge difference in having it downloaded then trying to pirate your own commercial release of it because you think it should be released now.

lazarus said:

But I've questioned their judgement a lot in the last five years--the choices made for the last Best Of, the New Mixes, ATYCLB, some of the production elements on the new album...and frankly I don't trust them to keep it as is.

so you're the bands manager now?

lazarus said:

Should I recommend you some Xanax... and wine?

So I guess spreading it around or playing it would be the same as promoting it in a radio station. You know, those places run based on the fact that people listen to them.

And the band KNOWS about the leak. There has been no new songs as b-sides (a la Are you gonna wait forever); there's, at least, one single left, and there are rumours of them touring Japan, Australia, New Zeland, Mexico, Southamerica AND USA. That would be the 3rd leg for the US. No doubt that they can fill up stadiums, but would they bet on promoting the same songs for almost 2 years, or more? I suppose you'd say yes, as you don't like what the band has done recently.

Anyway, do what you want. But I'm sure as hell that if the finished version of Slane got out before its release, and someone wanted to play it in the local TV station, and it drew viewers after the word was out... well, bring on the lawyers that will bat off the FCC and U2.

I think the idea blows :down:. Mercy is NOT a 'radio' song. :rolleyes: You rarely here Bad on the radio, and that is a good thing. Songs like that should be for the informed, rabid fan. Not the fan that just knows the radio hits. I hope if Mercy does come out from the band, that it is an easter egg or hidden track.

Maybe I'm selfish, but if the casual fan wants to know about unreleased songs, rare gems etc... they should just find out for themselves. If you don't have the desire to do the research then you just need to stay a casual fan.

GAGV said:
OK guys, here are the YSI files. Take You Down:

s50. .com/d.aspx?id=0I094JM8WY0MT3KVOLD2FJXYD4

This one is for Mercy:

s30. .com/d.aspx?id=3Q5SZ59HAYDFK0KRDZU880AYZW

And yes, U2 can do anything they want with their song. I'm sure they've realized what they've got in their hands. But most certainly, they CAN (and HAVE) made better versions of previous songs. It's a win-win situation for us: if we like the "production version", we also have the "prototype"; and if we don't like their release, we STILL have the old Mercy.

Thanks for this! :up: and I agree. It's possible for U2 to improve Mercy. Take You Down imo is better than Lady With the Spinning Head, but not The Fly or Ultraviolet.

I'm in agreeance with those who think this idea is really poor. Very much so. Don't be a dick.

Besides, it's waaaay too long for the radio.

Why Bother to leak it?
I'm sure this isnt why Bono handed it to the fan....He handed to Her (I think he gave it to a girl??) To share with other Fans.

The band dont have too many "Radio Songs". (From HTTDAAB, Vertigo and ABOY...you can argue LAPOE)....and I dont think Mercy belongs on the radio.

BONO DID NOT GIVE ANYONE A COPY OF MERCY!!!!!!!

Stop repeating that people because IT'S NOT TRUE!

Bono told a girl to look out for it. Never gave her a copy. The actual song came from an unnamed, unknown source that WAS NOT BONO.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated at seeing this same fraudulent tale repeated everywhere.

Axver said:

Bono told a girl to look out for it. Never gave her a copy. The actual song came from an unnamed, unknown source that WAS NOT BONO.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated at seeing this same fraudulent tale repeated everywhere.

I can't believe this story has turned into an urban legend. Here is the original thread from when Mercy was leaked. Bono did not give the song to anyone.

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102136

Reading this thread makes me detest the idea of 'leaking' this song to the radio even more.

I suddenly realised what a complete and utter fool I myself, and a fair few others here have been regarding the song's status. Simply making throwaway comments like "Oh, yeah it needs to be heard by everyone..." when that's just the thing, it DOESN'T. Not yet anyway.

Since this song leaked, a vast majority of us have taken to the idea that the fans technically "own" this song and can do what they please with it. It just makes me feel sick now. I could never take part in publicly exposing such a work of art that U2 obviously DIDN'T intend for us to hear! I just couldn't take part in basically making a mockery of the band who I have loved and respected for so many years and probably owe a hefty chunk of my life to.

Thanks to those who finally cleared up that myth for me...since we know Bono never actually gave the CD to anyone and the track was given to someone by some unnamed entity, we know the band took it off the album at kept it in the vaults, where it's really SUPPOSED TO BE NOW.

I thought they might have intentionally leaked it and got people to check around forums like this one to see how we all reacted and decide either "Hey, they seem to love it, let's put it on the next record..." or "Fuck it, B-side it is..." but that seems less and less likely, However the idea of sending it out to all and sundry in the hope it will become some cult radio hit at 6:31, effectively forcing a decision out of U2 is just wrong...

Imagine some plank went and sent it to a major national radio station and a midday DJ went and made the decision to suddenly play it in the middle of a popular afternoon show. [unlikely, yes, but hypothetically speaking...]

What would happen? They would have to answer to Island records why they were playing [what is nothing other than] an illegally acquired song on public radio, and they would have to say how they got it and that would mean the record company would be all over U2 forums like a fucking rash searching high and low for whoever originally received the CD with the 'bonus' track and uploaded it for us all?

What if they came here and [with a little searching] came up with U2SJ's thread that says "I have a CD of 'How To...' with "Mercy" on it and need help uploading it" [or something to that effect] Surely the forum would come under fire for playing host to a mass sharing frenzy of this track.

I just don't want to think what would happen if this track was played and exposed when it's quite obvious the band didn't want it to see the light of day for some time yet. I think a lot of people here need to stop and properly think about what they're doing before just sending this around willy-nilly.

Nobody here owns the copyright to the song, no-one here has a say in what happens to it, and at the end of the day [no matter who says differently] EVERY SINGLE PERSON who has an MP3 of the track has acquired it illegally, and attempting to get it played on the radio when it's obviously not meant to be made public is just going to do more harm than good, will probably just anger the band that their fans are willingly spreading around 'stolen' material just like they were 15 years ago [though obviously not to that large an extent] and there is a strong chance it could put places like Interference in jeapordy.

What would say to the band if you happened to meet them after a show?! "Oh, hi guys! We're too impatient to wait for you to put 'Mercy' on a record so we've just sent it to multiple Radio stations in the hope you'll see how much we like it." I think it would just make the band angry at whoever's instigating this proposed mass distribution of an unreleased piece of work...what if they just lost trust in their fans after all of this?

To top this off, I think you should just be patient. Like somebody's said, it's one of those songs like 'Bad' which the really enthusiastic fan will find hidden away on an album that you would never hear on the radio...Mercy is definitely one of these songs and what harm is it going to do to just keep it quiet and wait for U2 themselves to decide what they're going to do before we try and force it upon radio and the casual listener just because we want it to get more recognition...

Yes, we love the track but surely it would be better for both the band and us as fans to let 'nature take it's course'. I'm losing track of what I was going to say but all I can say now GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT. U2 aren't stupid, they don't just record stuff and keep it hidden away forever just because it wasn't used the latest album. "Mercy" is probably likely to appear on their next record [that is if you people don't go and BLOW IT by trying to force it out of them by getting it played everywhere], and I think the only thing we can and SHOULD do is WAIT AND SEE.

If you really feel strongly about this, write to the band! Write to McGuinness, or principal management and let them know that, yes, the track IS out there and it's the best thing they've done and ask what's going to happen to it...that's really all you can do. Stop taking things into your own hands when you don't have ANY ownership of the track, U2 will do the right thing, I'm sure...

---

On another note, one thing I'd like to know is if U2SJ still has that CD with "Mercy" on it or if she's returned it to the band or something...?

Last edited:
Axver said:

So what's the whole story on the history of Mercy then? I'm really curious. :confused:

SiW87 said:

So what's the whole story on the history of Mercy then? I'm really curious. :confused:

I read the thread Axver (i think) posted the link to, and i had trouble figuring what really happened too.

Mercy shouldn't be leaked. don't force the band's hand

Love your new sig U2dork :lol:
Axver it frustrates me too, you have no idea how much, that people will not believe the story because ITS TRUE!!!!!! Bono did NOT give the cd to anyone. I cant believe that people will not believe me, if he had, dont you think I would have been pretty damn excited to have been given something by Bono! I would tell people forsure!
DiscotequeLP yes it is just coincidence, as bizarre as it may seem. Trust me I think its the strangest thing to ever happen to me.
And gareth brown, No i did not return the cd I have to the band, it was just a plain old blank cd that I was given, nothing special. It just happened to have this extra track on the end...and the band did NOT give it to me so there is no point of returning it to them.
I really hope they release the real Mercy soon so I can stop feeling shitty about this whole thing..... I didnt mean any harm I just wanted to share it with other diehard U2 fans......

Last edited:
If by some unlikely chance a radio station decides to play it (they can be fined and/or shut down if a band with the financial pull of U2 decides to get pissed), I think we could count on an internet shitstorm - goodbye, fan sites.

This is an ASININE idea. It's doubtful that the radio stations would play it anyway - the DJs don't get to choose what they play, guys, those are corporate decisions - but if they did, we'd be hanging ourselves. They'd send legal interest to the source of the leak - U2 internet fan sites - and they'd be gone. No more torrents, no more fan boards, no more setlist parties, nothing. Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom