The Pinnacle of Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mug222

War Child
Is there anything in music better than side 2 (tracks 9-16) of Abbey Road? It is comprised of eight brilliant songs:

9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr. Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End

These wonderful songs flow into each other in absolutely perfect harmony--from a gorgeous song describing the fueding within the band to the final, now infamous declaration that "the love you take is equal to the love you make." And of course, in typical cheeky British fashion, they tack on Paul's little ditty "Her Majesty" to deflate any pomposity that could have been created.

The whole thing is just majestic to hear, and features what I believe to be the pinnacle of musicianship, of lyricism, of melody...of everything in music.

So, who disagrees?
wink.gif

(EDIT- For Salome's sake
smile.gif
, here's my U2 reference: If U2 can create something this moving and transcendant in their final album, I will die a happy man)

So, again, I'm in an arguing mood: Who agrees/disagrees that this is the pinnacle of musical expression?

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 02-13-2002).]

In terms of a single song, I think 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is the pinnacle of musical expression.

But you're right on the money if you consider those songs... All of Abbey Road even.

------------------
And I felt like a star...

YES! Abbey Road is one of my favorite albums ever, especially because of the last half of it...plus You Never Give Me Your Money is one of my favorite Beatles songs. But the end is just a huge, kick-ass medley, I love it!

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Can't say that I disagree. I've always loved that little suite of (mostly) Paul's genius. I especially like the mini-suite of Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam and She Came In Through The Bathroom Window... It's too bad that those songs became their last hurrah (excluding "previously unreleased" material).

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)

Two albums, Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree! The Two greatest albums ever made!

Originally posted by STING2:
Two albums, Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree! The Two greatest albums ever made!

I do believe my love for these two exceeds my love for Abbey Road. However, Abbey Road is damn fine. Its presence in my collection raises the vibe of the whole collection exponentially. (I don't know what I'm talking about, but I love AR.)

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-13-2002).]

What about the White Album? Can't beat 30 awesome Beatles songs (well, 29, excluding 'Revolution Number 9')

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Back
Top Bottom