The Overlooked Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Most Underatted Song From Each Album (For curiousities sake)

A Day Without Me
Stranger In A Strange Land
Like A Song...
Indian Summer Sky
Red Hill Mining Town
Van Diemen's Land
So Cruel
Some Days Are Better Than Others
IGWSHA
Wild Honey
AMAAW

All underappreciated songs. All underrated songs. All songs that were good live...oh, wait, like half that list wasn't played live...

i think rhmt will neva be as appreciated because it didn't become the 2nd single, and also bono can't sing it live

timothius said:

Amen.

I've always thought the line... "I spend my whole time running, he spends his running after me" is one of Bono's top 5 lyrics, if not top 3. It's just georgous.

Yes!

Thank you. I love that single lyric so much. I know that in comparison to some of the more overtly obvious lyrics it may seem a little bland, but there is just something about it which has always caught my attention.

Also, 'but I left by the back door, and I threw away the key'.

Both 'The First Time' and 'Red Hill Mining Town' rank in my top five. I'm on a single girl mission to unleash them on the world to get the credit they deserve.

I like When I Look at the World. Dont really care for One Step Closer to Norway. Don't really understand why so many people don't like A Man and A Woman. I think it's a great song! I also think Yaweh is genius.

Don't forget Vertigo. Not the first time - the second time.

I think a song that never gets enough appreciation (and would be amazing full band live) is Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Last Night on Earth
Promanade
Seconds
Ultraviolet
For The first Time
Van Dieman's Land
Wire
Dirty Day

Joshua87 said:
when i look at the world...awesome song, but i dont know who else likes is at all!

Now you know!
That second guitar during the solo is amazing!
Not to mention the lyrics...

goldmember said:
Is If you wear that velvet dress underrated?
I think it's a masterpiece:sad:

Its beautiful especially the Bono, Jools Holland version:drool:

Drowning Man, Elvis and the Two Americas, Seconds, God Part 2, Love is Blindness, When I Look At The World, The Wanderer...all songs that get me funny looks when I put them on. "Who's That?"

"I'm on an island in a busy intersection
can't go forward and I can't turn back
can't see the future, it's getting away from me
I just watch the tailights glowing"

:drool:

Of course, the way Bono sings these words makes it even more :drool:-worthy. This song sounds like it's being sung by the Bono with a pony tail.

financeguy said:
Love Comes Tumbling is the most underrated song IMO.

Decent song. I always thought this was the result of U2's secret Fleetwood Mac admiration.

A Celebration, Slow Dancing, Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova I, and Ave Maria. All these are album quality tracks. Pretty much everything on ATYCLB and HTDAAB is underrated.

One Minute Warning.

Sounds to me like a city, early morning, waking up and going about it's business, filmed in triple speed. Completely oblivious to the fact that today will be the last day any of them will live.
Like the opening of a William Gibson story that hasn't been written.

Hey Earnie, I never heard your response to my last post in 'The Bomb That Could Have Been'. Do you still think Miracle Drug is phony?

Good call on One Minute Warning, btw. I just listened to that yesterday. I wish I knew the lyrics near the end of the song. Something about "chasing gold" and "what a way to go".

these are songs i believe are overlooked on interference (i won't bother listing the gazillion songs overlooked by the general public, but pretty well loved here, like Lemon, Exit, etc)

Shadows and Tall Trees
Promenade
Wire
The Wanderer
Playboy Mansion
Like a Song

don't really know about b-sides

One Minute Warning is one of the most un-U2 songs ever. I remember watching Ghost in the Shell and seeing the name "U2" in the credits - I literally fell off the sofa.

VertigoGal said:
these are songs i believe are overlooked on interference (i won't bother listing the gazillion songs overlooked by the general public, but pretty well loved here, like Lemon, Exit, etc)

Shadows and Tall Trees
Promenade
Wire
The Wanderer
Playboy Mansion
Like a Song

Nice list. How I wish I could have found a girl that liked Shadows and Tall Trees when I was in high school! On 2nd thought, it wouldn't have mattered b/c I didn't even like U2 then. :reject:

VertigoGal said:

Shadows and Tall Trees
Promenade
Wire
The Wanderer
Playboy Mansion
Like a Song

don't really know about b-sides

Shadows and tall trees:drool: Promenade:drool: :drool: Wire:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Two Hearts Beat as One
Rejoice
I threw a Brick through a window
Is that all?
October
Babyface
If God will send his angels
Do you feel loved?
Playboy Mansion
Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car
Electrical Storm

Fire
The Playboy Mansion
Wake Up Deadman
Tomorrow
October
Silver And Gold
North And South of the River
Babyface
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Some Days are Better than Others
HMTMKMKM
Wild Honey
I Fall Down

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
There are U2 songs that are classics, songs that are fan favourites, songs that inspire heated debates, songs that are hated...and then there are songs that people just don't talk about too much. This is a thread for those songs, the U2 songs that deserve some recognition as great songs. I wouldn't put, say, Miami in here, because Miami is a pretty talked-about song, love it or hate it.

Fire - the whole album October is rather overlooked, but despite the fact that it was a single I don't hear much about this song... I was listening to October last night and this song really jumped out at me. Parts of it actually remind me a lot of the Franz Ferdinand song by the same name... but this song is far superior, the end especially. After "I'm going home..." Edge's solo, and around 2:58 is paticularly beautiful.

Indian Summer Sky - I've always loved this song, it's very unique and as a kid it made me think of someone running through a jungle or something, through the darkness, and then reaching a beautiful clearing with an open sky...I'm weird, I know. I also think the lines "To lose along the way/The spark that set the flame/To flicker and to fade/On this, the longest day" were some of the best on the album. A very unique and awesome song, gives a feeling of movement.

Those are my two for now, feel free to add your own :)

Cool! :up:

Back
Top Bottom