The Operation to record Vertigo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hey folks,

I think it would be a good idea if we could organise a co-ordinated 'attack' to record Vertigo ASAP. We all know it will be played first in New Zealand or Australia due to the wonder of time zones, so I propose that those of us with recording capabilities co-ordinate our efforts so that we cover as many online radio streams as possible.

I have a very small list of radio stations that you can 'claim'. If you know of more stations that are likely to play it, feel free to contribute and record from them.

I personally will get up at 5:30am Australian time 24/09 to begin recording, which is 7:30am New Zealand time and 3:30pm 23/09 on the US east coast. I don't know what's happening in Australia, but in New Zealand, five separate copies of Vertigo will be hand-delivered by five Universal reps in five separate cars to five major networks in Auckland (clear enough for you?). This means we can't be certain of when they will receive the song, and it will most likely depend upon the distance of the station from Universal's offices and the state of Auckland's traffic.

In any case, these are the streams. If you can record and will be available to do so in the morning of 24/09 (afternoon and evening of 23/09 in the USA), feel free to claim one. Make sure you familiarise yourself with it so that you know what to do when Vertigo is played.

New Zealand
91ZM - I will be recording from their Auckland feed (labelled 'nationwide' on their website).

More FM Auckland - WMP
More FM Wellington - Real
(I'm not sure how much different they are in the morning because I suspect they share the same morning crew, but I haven't looked into this)

Australia
(I haven't looked into these, but they're two stations I am told stream online and are very likely to play Vertigo.)

Triple J

Triple M - I have no idea how co-ordinated the various cities are.

If you can record, claim a feed or contribute one, and we'll try to get Vertigo recorded and heard by the desperate fanbase as quickly as we can. For this reason, I call it Operation Fafervof Otiyaita, aka For All Fans, Enjoy Recording Vertigo On Friday (Or Thursday If You Are In The Americas). So I thought it was funny when I invented it on AIM.

Have a good one,
- André

Edit: If you have the capability to host this file, would you like to join in on the effort to help as many fans hear the song as quickly as possible? If you can, please leave your e-mail address so that as soon as someone records the song, they can send it on to you. Thanks!

Last edited:
Triple M in Sydney (don't know about other cities) don't stream which is a shame because they'll definitely play it the most.

Nova FM in Sydney do stream and definitely will play it, although less than Triple M, but on Friday I'd bet it will get a few spins.

www.nova969.com.au

Link to streaming is on the left hand side of the page (is there a rule that says radio station websites must be the most cluttered of all?)

So this means here on the West Coast we can hear Vertigo at 12:30 pm on Thursday if we tune into the Australian stations?
:hyper:

Wow. I didn't know you "free peoples of Middle Earth" were so hip:)

Lucky bastards!

Earnie Shavers said:
Triple M in Sydney (don't know about other cities) don't stream which is a shame because they'll definitely play it the most.

That's strange ... I'm told Melbourne does, and when I checked Brisbane, they had a 'Listen Live Online' option.

Nova FM in Sydney do stream and definitely will play it, although less than Triple M, but on Friday I'd bet it will get a few spins.

www.nova969.com.au

Link to streaming is on the left hand side of the page (is there a rule that says radio station websites must be the most cluttered of all?)

Cool, thanks for the tip, and hopefully someone might want to listen in there. I hate these radio station websites, they're such a pain in the arse and the 91ZM listen online feed is absolute agony to work.

U2SJ said:
So this means here on the West Coast we can hear Vertigo at 12:30 pm on Thursday if we tune into the Australian stations?
:hyper:

Well, you'll hear it sometime on Thursday afternoon, yes! My bet is that it will be played on a Kiwi station at sometime between 8-10am New Zealand time, which would be 1-3pm 23/09 for you.

Axver said:

Well, you'll hear it sometime on Thursday afternoon, yes! My bet is that it will be played on a Kiwi station at sometime between 8-10am New Zealand time, which would be 1-3pm 23/09 for you.

THANKS Axver!!!

I'll aim to monitor the More FM Wellington station for a few hours on Thursday night (9pm - Midnight). I'll also be tuning in to Dave Fannings show that night too (6pm - 7.30pm GMT). I'm able to record, and have been offered some space online for hosting.

Is it worth trying to organise a list of fans who are able to host so we can try to get it to them asap? (apologies if this is being organised in another thread).

UKTan said:
I'll aim to monitor the More FM Wellington station for a few hours on Thursday night (9pm - Midnight). I'll also be tuning in to Dave Fannings show that night too (6pm - 7.30pm GMT). I'm able to record, and have been offered some space online for hosting.

That'd be great. I'm pretty sure Dave Fanning is going to play it, and if he doesn't, I think it's a safe bet you'll hear it on More FM.

Is it worth trying to organise a list of fans who are able to host so we can try to get it to them asap? (apologies if this is being organised in another thread).

Ah, I knew I forgot to add something to my original post! Hopefully I can still edit it.

If you have space to spare, would you like to join the cause?

nice thing is by the time thursday(australian time) rolls around, we'll probably have word on exactly when and where Vertigo will be played in australia.

You can expect Dave Fanning, will be the first one to play it either Wednesday or Thursday according to a very trusted source... So be prepared...

I rekon you could bet that Adam and Will, will play the song during their breakfast shift on Friday and JJJ stream on the radio, but then again, who knows. Now that Richard Kingsmill is the head honcho of the Js (and he has never appeared to be that much of a U2 fan over the years) he may decide not to play it, especially if it is very 'commercial sounding' U2 song, so maybe Nova would be the best bet- listen to Merrick and Rosso:wink: either way I think that us Aussies and kiwis will be hearing it first:wink:

Katey said:
You can expect Dave Fanning, will be the first one to play it either Wednesday or Thursday according to a very trusted source... So be prepared...

nice! thanks for the tip!

So if were listening on a stream on the net from the UK we can hear it being played around midnight or before, yes? Wowo I will be listening in Thursday then. My local Radio Station here in the UK (lincsfm) have said they will be playing it on Friday, don't know what time though.

OzAurora said:
I rekon you could bet that Adam and Will, will play the song during their breakfast shift on Friday and JJJ stream on the radio, but then again, who knows. Now that Richard Kingsmill is the head honcho of the Js (and he has never appeared to be that much of a U2 fan over the years) he may decide not to play it, especially if it is very 'commercial sounding' U2 song, so maybe Nova would be the best bet- listen to Merrick and Rosso:wink: either way I think that us Aussies and kiwis will be hearing it first:wink:

You can listen online to Triple M Brisbane, but not Triple M Sydney. Of all the stations, it will be Triple M. They're by far and a mile the most pro-U2 station.

Just got done listening to Dave Flanning's Monday show on 2FM - Got to love live streams - He sandwiched the news that he would have an exclusive world premire of vertigo on Thursday's show between "when loves comes to town" talking about the 1989 New Years Eve Concert which several people have bootlegs of :wink:

Axver said:

That'd be great. I'm pretty sure Dave Fanning is going to play it, and if he doesn't, I think it's a safe bet you'll hear it on More FM.

Ah, I knew I forgot to add something to my original post! Hopefully I can still edit it.

If you have space to spare, would you like to join the cause?

I'm more than happy to join the cause altho I'm just "renting" that space. Prob the best way I can help, is if I do get a good recording, is to send to as many hosting ppl as quick as poss.

I was also given the following link which may come in useful for emailing large files around. http://www.yousendit.com/default.uplx.

You attach your file & enter addy's of who you want to send the file to, the files stored the yousendit server for 7 days & a link to download the file is sent to email recipients....haven't tried it yet but sounds like it could solve some problems :)

From the article: "Our radio source says that "Vertigo" is probably the most highly anticipated single to hit radio this fall, and that no rock station will want to sit on the song for a week or more waiting for October 5 th. In the end, we're told, it's up to the owners of the radio stations to decide if they're going to follow Interscope's request or not."

I highly doubt many stations will wait, if any. Based upon a number of e-mails from DJs that users have posted, there's a great deal of confirmation that Vertigo will be played on the 24th.

That article could very well be accurate. Interscope may be requesting that the stations "add", but wether or not the stations comply is completely up to the station.

Which is also a good indication that the station's may already have the single and it won't be delivered exclusively via electronic format on the release date.

If stations already had the single, it would have leaked.

Alright folks, we have another station that we need someone to record.

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/

Dave Fanning, who typically gets these sorts of things, says he'll be playing the world premier of Vertigo during his show from 6:00-7:30pm 23/09 GMT (1:00-2:30pm 23/09 US east coast; 3-4:30am 24/09 Australian east coast). They have a Real Audio listen live feature, but I can't get it to work. Hopefully someone else can and will be able to record ...

Okay ppl we all need to have line out audio recording programs ready to go (well duh) so that when we hear the Vertigo announcement or whatever we can just click record.

beli[/i] [B]I could get it to work before but not now. Maybe theres too many people on it[/B][/QUOTE] Yeah said:
Okay ppl we all need to have line out audio recording programs ready to go (well duh) so that when we hear the Vertigo announcement or whatever we can just click record.

I'm with you there. I'm hoping to be up to record it, though I'm sure others will be on the ball too.

Back
Top Bottom