The one song that EVERY U2 fan loves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FitzChivalry said:

Why is there all this discussion about live versions? What does it matter which songs are still in the live lineup. The "winning" song is supposed to be from the fans' perspective, not which songs U2 believe to be fan favorites and therefore keep in the setlist tour after tour.

Because some of these songs are more obscure and several fans would be like :huh: if you mentioned the names.
But if the "winning" song doesn't end up being a U2 classic, then it'll be an interesting result.

I and I in the said:
Has anyone dissed Out of Control yet?

If you don't like Streets or Bad, not only aren't you a U2 fan, you must not be a fan of music in general. Come on!

that kind of comment is banned round these parts!

and i pitty the fool who comes out with comments such as that.

vaz02 said:

First of all what would i have to gain by hating streets lol ? so why would it seem fishy.
Second , has anyone else given reasons why they dont want certain songs to be on the list ?

----------------------

I think streets should not be on the list because i hate it , hate is a strong word but its the way i feel about this track.
This song is propably the most pompus song u2 have produced and easily the most pompus song u2 fans like.

Lyrically its a great song but it screams out "LAME", come on the video was terrible , very very camp. The song song sounds like something you would find on a " Now thats what i call summer hits " album which is soo cheesy.

Its not a partiulary a exciting song either , never really hits a peak. ( unlike live )

Edges guitar is hardly rocking n rolling is it ?

Coldplay please cover this song so i can hate it more.

Btw this is one of u2's best live song ( i think ) so im not slagging it off live only studio wise and album.

-----------------------------------------------

give me ' I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For ' anyday

Thanks for putting up with my badgering you, vaz02. I am satisfied with your blistering criticism of Streets. However, the fact that you like it live would keep it on the list except that zephyr? (think that was the name) killed it anyway.

I guess I suspected some of the "elitist" let-me-hate-this-song-because-all-the-know-nothing-so-called-fans-love-it attitude going on. But it would I appear I was wrong and I repent.

LemonMacPhisto said:
This whole thread is bogus

everyone has their own opinions and it would be virtually impossible to find one song everyone likes.

All this thread does is start a big debate on whether "you're a true fan" or "an elitist".

I must disagree with you LemonMacPhisto. I don't think this thread is bogus (and not just because I started the thread). The TITLE of thread is bogus, and I've already admitted that several pages back. We're not going to find a song every person likes, but I think it may be possible to find at least one song that nobody absolutely HATES. And here's the thing--I think that the song that survives may not be a "great" song. It may be one that most of us feel is just "okay." The song is going to have to be inoffensive which eliminates a lot of the songs that evoke a stronger emotional response, positive or negative, in listeners.

As to the debate as to who is a "true fan" or an "elitist", I haven't seen TOO much of that on this thread so far. Really this entire forum is ripe for the "true fan" debate and I certainly wouldn't suggest Everything You Know is Wrong is bogus.

On a personal note--yay for Orlando! That's my hometown! (Though I actually didn't enjoy living there that much. My enthusiasm is more nostalgia for my youth than anything else).

So vaz02 has explained himself, but zephyr killed Streets anyway. The Fly stays because the person who critiqued it merely said it was "over-rated" which in my book is not the same as hate. I haven't heard 40 or 11 O Clock Tick Tock outright bashed on this thread or reportedly hated elsewhere so I believe they stay as well.

Per my own rules, Until the End of the World needs to be added back in (I was the one who took it out. Haven't seen anyone else hate it). I conceded that it was "okay live" which means it still qualifies.

We've got some new entries, thanks in large part to Peterrrr who hit us with a shotgun blast of song titles some of which may actually stick for awhile. I think his method is the best for determining a song that is not hated. Slap a bunch of titles out there and some song is bound to stick.

So the List at Present (with commentary this time):

The Fly
11 O Clock Tick Tock
The First Time
Wake Up Dead Man
Please (I think people are nuts to add "Pop" songs. Too many people hate the album for these songs to last but we'll try).
Ground Beneath Her Feet
In God's Country (It's an okay song for me. I don't think it will last).
Heartland (Suggesting a song from Rattle & Hum is insanity! But I think this one's okay. We'll see how long it lasts).
Lemon (not real accessible. Don't think it will last).
Out of Control
A Sort of Homecoming (LOVE this song)
Until the End of the World
Wild Irish Rose (I've never heard it so I can't take it off!)
Mercy
Fast Cars

I think Fast Cars might actually be one to make it to the finish line (no pun intended). I haven't heard it myself, but it seems to be very highly regarded on Interference. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say anything less than high praise about it.

maycocksean said:
The Fly stays because the person who critiqued it merely said it was "over-rated" which in my book is not the same as hate. I haven't heard 40 or 11 O Clock Tick Tock outright bashed on this thread or reportedly hated elsewhere so I believe they stay as well.

Keep in mind only a few people will admit to outright "hating" a U2 song publicly. Perhaps they are being intentionally mild and diplomatic with their words. I think the fact that some song names were brought up after the "new rules" should disqualify them.

And a couple of the song titles above - even most of the fans attending a U2 show could not identify IMO.

Also, those new, late entries are mentioned. In that case, we should have started off with ALL U2 song titles.

Last edited:
maycocksean said:

I must disagree with you LemonMacPhisto. I don't think this thread is bogus (and not just because I started the thread). The TITLE of thread is bogus, and I've already admitted that several pages back. We're not going to find a song every person likes, but I think it may be possible to find at least one song that nobody absolutely HATES. And here's the thing--I think that the song that survives may not be a "great" song. It may be one that most of us feel is just "okay." The song is going to have to be inoffensive which eliminates a lot of the songs that evoke a stronger emotional response, positive or negative, in listeners.

On a personal note--yay for Orlando! That's my hometown! (Though I actually didn't enjoy living there that much. My enthusiasm is more nostalgia for my youth than anything else).

I see what you mean, but the opinions of a select few U2 fans on a message board won't fully grasp the opinions of a whole legion of fans. One person will always ruin something 5066845097 other people like. It just seems like this thread will only bring arguing and stuff, not the good kind.

Yes! another Orlando-ite? Orlando-an? How long ago did you move from here? I kind of enjoy it.

maycocksean said:
The Fly stays because the person who critiqued it merely said it was "over-rated" which in my book is not the same as hate.

That's not why it left. Someone said it was hated on in another thread. I had it on after the overrated comment.

maycocksean said:

The Fly
11 O Clock Tick Tock
The First Time
Wake Up Dead Man
Please (I think people are nuts to add "Pop" songs. Too many people hate the album for these songs to last but we'll try).
Ground Beneath Her Feet
In God's Country (It's an okay song for me. I don't think it will last).
Heartland (Suggesting a song from Rattle & Hum is insanity! But I think this one's okay. We'll see how long it lasts).
Lemon (not real accessible. Don't think it will last).
Out of Control
A Sort of Homecoming (LOVE this song)
Until the End of the World
Wild Irish Rose (I've never heard it so I can't take it off!)
Mercy
Fast Cars

I'm taking off Lemon, which I outright hate. I think it was completely ruined by the falsetto. Also, take off Wake Up Dead Man and Please on my account.

And many of these have been hated on already. Until the End of the World in this thread for sure.

Okay, I think we're winding down now.

Ntalwar, I disagree that few U2 fans will admitt to outright hating a U2 song. There were several pages of robust discussion as to what songs U2 should be "ashamed" of.

However, I do agree that we should take off the rarities and B-sides since there will be a good number of fans unable to judge the songs.

I also concede that it would have been good (though unweildy) to present all the song titles at the beginning of this thread and weed through them that way. Not having done that means that songs may survive to the end merely because people have lost interest in the thread and not because they are "un-hated." There are flaws in the system, I concede.

I think we can also acknowledge the limitation that we are not polling ALL U2 fans, or even all members of Interference--just the people who read this thread.

Still it's been interesting parlor game for me, and I do believe that the songs that will last will not be those that are "great" or "universally loved" but those that inspire little feeling one way or the other. Remember, the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. After all, look at the list--not a single "huge hit" on the list:

11 O Clock Tick Tock
The First Time
In God's Country
Heartland
Out of Control
A Sort of Homecoming

LemonMacPhisto said:

I see what you mean, but the opinions of a select few U2 fans on a message board won't fully grasp the opinions of a whole legion of fans. One person will always ruin something 5066845097 other people like. It just seems like this thread will only bring arguing and stuff, not the good kind.

Yes! another Orlando-ite? Orlando-an? How long ago did you move from here? I kind of enjoy it.

I don't know. . .I don't think it's been too bad. I didn't think things got too nasty on this thread (much worse on the "Songs U2 should be ashamed of" thread).

Re: Orlando. My family (mom, sister, brother and extended family) are still there, but I basically moved after high school when I went to college in Michigan which was in 1992 (though I've been back every summer since). I'll be going back again in about a week and a half, June 14 and will be there for three weeks.

maycocksean said:

11 O Clock Tick Tock
The First Time
In God's Country
Heartland
Out of Control
A Sort of Homecoming

Going once. . .

Im just wandering in so I'll just cut straight to the songs that are left.

Out of that pack, my vote is to lose 40.

Just doesnt do it as much as the others do for me and besides its pretty derivative, not that it makes it a bad song but it doesn't qualify as amongst Bono's 'best' in my books.

I REALLLY REALLY like the list otherwise. I dont think there is a song I could lose off that list to be honest. Maybe Out of Control but ONLY because of it being overplayed in my stereo. IMO 40 and Out of Control can go before Heartland.

Sad to see Red Hill Mining Town gone tho :( And Streets? What the???

ok i wont start, promise lol

ps my finalist prediction number 1 song: Sort of Homecoming 2. In Gods Country 3. 11 Oclock TIck Tock

is 'fast cars' the 'in gods country' of the 00's ? The pace seems similair , such a catchy song :drool:

Not enough time to read 14 thread pages - scanned a few; so here goes:

The premise of the original question "song that every U2 fan loves"

Streets seems closest to the mark -- fans that don't "love" it; might be too young to have heard it from album to a live version a lot; fans that are older / been round awhile longer, might start disliking it due to repeat performances and staleness.

I'll go with Streets as the closest to the original question; especially from an "album and live" perspective.

Take away both the "album" and "live" part and then; yet another thread; perhaps too -- 28 more pages of reading.

Yikes -- g'night all.

gabrielvox said:
Im just wandering in so I'll just cut straight to the songs that are left.

Out of that pack, my vote is to lose 40.

Just doesnt do it as much as the others do for me and besides its pretty derivative, not that it makes it a bad song but it doesn't qualify as amongst Bono's 'best' in my books.

I REALLLY REALLY like the list otherwise. I dont think there is a song I could lose off that list to be honest. Maybe Out of Control but ONLY because of it being overplayed in my stereo. IMO 40 and Out of Control can go before Heartland.

Sad to see Red Hill Mining Town gone tho :( And Streets? What the???

ok i wont start, promise lol

ps my finalist prediction number 1 song: Sort of Homecoming 2. In Gods Country 3. 11 Oclock TIck Tock

I'd say we keep 40 because there's not out and out hatred. The thread is mistitled. It should read the one U2 song that nobody HATES. Also, it's necessary to narrow it down to one. The final list is whatever is left when people stop posting.

As per Streets. We had many pages on that, believe me, but it is most definitely gone. Zephyr, I believe it was, despises it.

Insofar as I can tell, the list remains the same. (Walk on was knocked out pages back I believe).

11 O Clock Tick Tock
The First Time
In God's Country
Heartland
Out of Control
A Sort of Homecoming

maycocksean said:

I'd say we keep 40 because there's not out and out hatred. The thread is mistitled. It should read the one U2 song that nobody HATES. Also, it's necessary to narrow it down to one. The final list is whatever is left when people stop posting.

As per Streets. We had many pages on that, believe me, but it is most definitely gone. Zephyr, I believe it was, despises it.

:huh: :coocoo:

LOL ok well since you are the thread starter I guess you can change it, your call.

In other words, given the Streets call, I would call this now

'which of these 6 or 7 songs have you or would you be able to form a completely irrational hatred for?'.

In which case, I can definately say 40.

In fact, I absolutely detest it. What a joke of a song. The damn thing only took 10 minutes to write, 10 minutes to record etc etc. They play it at the end of each show and make us sing our lungs out with this false hint of a promise that they'll come back out onstage for a third encore, and then, not with a bang but a little whimper, the lights go up and the singalong fizzles. And they friggin plagerised the Psalms! Irreprehensible!

:shrug:

gabrielvox said:

:huh: :coocoo:

LOL ok well since you are the thread starter I guess you can change it, your call.

In other words, given the Streets call, I would call this now

'which of these 6 or 7 songs have you or would you be able to form a completely irrational hatred for?'.

In which case, I can definately say 40.

In fact, I absolutely detest it. What a joke of a song. The damn thing only took 10 minutes to write, 10 minutes to record etc etc. They play it at the end of each show and make us sing our lungs out with this false hint of a promise that they'll come back out onstage for a third encore, and then, not with a bang but a little whimper, the lights go up and the singalong fizzles. And they friggin plagerised the Psalms! Irreprehensible!

:shrug:

Fair enough, 40 is out.

Did you slog through all 14 (or whatever) pages of this thread? Because if you did, I don't think the "change of rule" would seem so crazy or abitrary. I realized early on that I had not titled the thread appropriately and I made the change then. I personally don't think there IS one song that every U2 fan is passionately in love with. . .(though Streets and Bad and other songs like that are definitely loved by a majority) but I do think that there are songs (at least one, if not more) that are not passionately hated by any U2 fans, at least those reading this thread.

These are the songs that just may make that cut:

11 O Clock Tick Tock
The First Time
In God's Country
Heartland
Out of Control
A Sort of Homecoming

zepher25 said:
has I will follow been mentioned before, if not add it to the list if noone has any objections

Yes, it was. And it was booted already.

Going Once. . .

11 O Clock Tick Tock
In God's Country
Heartland
Out of Control
A Sort of Homecoming

I'm not a huge fan of 11 O'clock Tick Tock, but there's nothing WRONG with it, it's just my personal preference ... which means you shouldn't take it off the list just on my account. :wink:

I LOVE the other 4 on that list, though. All 4 of those are in my top 10 U2 songs.

^ Agreed, you're bound to get one or two people who'll dislike any song you put forward... :shrug:

My personal favourite atm, Walk On, or maybe Heartland.....

Back
Top Bottom