The Official Grammy Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Reuters

U2 made a clean sweep in all three categories where it was nominated, winning the rock song and shortform video, and rock performance prizes for its tune, "Vertigo."

Frontman Bono said he was "genuinely surprised" by the latter award, adding, "This is the best Grammys we've ever seen, I've ever seen."

The band's guitarist, the Edge, dedicated his award to his young daughter, Sian, who is reportedly suffering from leukemia, although the band had not commented on the matter.

The illness almost forced the band to cancel its upcoming world tour. In a rare turn at the microphone, drummer Larry Mullen, Jr. apologized to fans for the recent snafu where many fan club members were unable to buy tickets for the shows, which quickly sold out.

Who has Across the Universe mp3?
I'm also looking for American Idiot mp3 file (I know is not from u2 but was a great live performace and got a Stand O)

Yeah, U2 won 3/3 awards, but while it was a great song, I couldn't help but feel like anyone else deserved it this year. In years past, I've chringed when a vetern band wins just because they're a safe, conventional choice, and this year I fear U2 became the band I used to hate. The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Green Day for christ's sake were just as good, if not better than U2 this year, yet I feel U2 won because nobody knows if the others will be around in a few years.

The performance of "Sometimes..." was really weak. As a fan I can look beyond the faults and respect them for paying ode to Bono's dad, but at the same time I was embarassed at how dispassionate Bono appeared. He hit a few moments when you could tell he was feeling emotional, but mostly he looked comatose and his voice couldn't match the heights seen on the album version. I tend to agree that the performance was a letdown and that it's a mistake to release this song as a commerical single. It will NOT translate well to any form of popular radio, and therefore is a waste of time and money for the band.

The performance of "Across the Universe" hit a bump the second Bono passed it on to Stevie Wonder, who missed a beat, and served as a glipse into the subsequent verses. Unlike "We are the World" or other anthemic pleas for charity, this song wasn't rehearsed to the extent of it's predesessors, and failed to move anyone I know with the exception of it being an eccentric mixture of voices. Bono sounded great on this tune and his backing vocals throughout the song were awesome. Sadly, Stevie Wonder killed the momentuem and his (sigh) harmonica solo was a tragic reminder of "That's What Friends Are For".

Overall, the Grammy's haven't impressed me since 2001 when U2, Destiny's Child, Sheryl Crow and Shelby Lynne, Madonna, Eminem and Elton John, etc performed a great set of songs. Since then it's been lousy audio, failed attempts at dramatics (J. Lo and Marc Anthoy), and odd collaberations, as seen this year in particular. Regardless, the music was decent and Ray Charles deserved all the laurels of the academy.

Nice to see someone else has some objectivity. And to the person who asked "who cares if they got a standing ovation?", I guess it doesn't matter much--unless ALMOST EVERY OTHER PERFORMER GOT ONE. Isn't that a little sad? When you're on the applause scale of Tim Freaking McGraw?

I said it before, this should have been a CLASSIC. The fact that the song ended oddly has NOTHING to do with its reception. If the performance was that powerful, people would have stood up regardless.

Is it possible for people to consider the fact that the people there just weren't overly impressed? You can write a really personal song and put a lot of effort into singing it, but that doesn't guarantee people are going to LIKE it.

Now while the song isn't one of my favs on the album, I think it's a GREAT recording, and has every right to be on the charts. However, as a promotional move, I doubt tonight did anything to make unfamiliar listeners curious about hearing this song again.

J, where are you when we actually need you?

laz

Oh yeah, just saw the acceptance speech. They should make a statue out of gold in Larry's image, and put it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Class incarnate.

laz

Dont egg him on laz.. :crack:

I was happy to hear Larry apologize to the fans, that was really cool. I thought the performance was ok but I would have rather heard an upbeat song like many others. I dunno why SYCMIOYO just doesnt do anything for me :reject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I want tickets for the shows to go on sale for europe or the third leg would I be better off getting a promo code by joining the club? if iI join the club can I only get priority once - example, I buy priority tickets for the europe leg 1 of the tour and can't then get tickets for north america the second time around?

That was absoulutly so cool that Larry apologized to the fans, totally unexpected and should quite some fans on this site that think the band doesn't care about the fans.

snowbunny00774 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I want tickets for the shows to go on sale for europe or the third leg would I be better off getting a promo code by joining the club? if iI join the club can I only get priority once - example, I buy priority tickets for the europe leg 1 of the tour and can't then get tickets for north america the second time around?

No more promo codes for new members, from what I understand.

I want buy Across Universe from iTunes but I can find it!!!!

Need help for the query

aledavid said:

Need help for the query

Same here. I think they forgot to add it. Been looking for 2 hours. That and no live feed on CBS.com hmmm...

You know, those tribute sing alongs are always kind of lame. Even if the people rehearse, it still sounds like a mess. Especially when it looks like half the people are reading the lyrics off teleprompters. Is it that difficult to remember a BEATLES song?

And I understand how Stevie's harp solo may sound a little cheesy to most people. Personally, it just brought me back to Isn't She Lovely (which Wonder sang a bit of when he presented the next award). And that song makes Laz happy. Almost as much as Sir Duke.

For those who aren't too familiar with Grammy history, here's an astounding fact: Stevie Wonder won the Grammy for Best Album of the Year THREE OUT OF FOUR YEARS IN A ROW. Can you even fathom how big an achivement that is? Even though the Grammys virtually ignored rock and roll back then, it's still an astounding claim considering how much great music happened in the early 1970s.

Songs in the Key of Life is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and even if the man has released nothing of merit in the last 25-30 years, he still has a handful of masterpieces under his belt.

laz

lazarus said:
And to the person who asked "who cares if they got a standing ovation?", I guess it doesn't matter much--unless ALMOST EVERY OTHER PERFORMER GOT ONE. Isn't that a little sad? When you're on the applause scale of Tim Freaking McGraw?

But look at the calibre of the people who got standing ovations. Simply dismal. Glad U2 didn't get one.

And I really don't give a shit who gets a standing ovation. I'll give them a standing ovation and whether or not anyone else does is of utterly no concern to me.

Hey Laz, J was the one who originally pointed out that U2 did NOT get a standing ovation, so...

As for the performance of "Sometimes..." It was OK, not as powerful as say SNL or Live at the Brooklyn Bridge, but I think that there are some heavy things happening here now. Obviously Edge's daughter is ill. As the father of two, one being a gorgeous young daughter I could feel his pain. I pray that she will be OK. If it is leukemia, I have a friend who's son had this disease as a very young child, he's now 16 and cancer free. The survival rate for children's leukemia is extremely high, so there is a lot of hope.

And as for Larry...all I can say is thank you, and can we give the ticket crap a rest now. Yes some of you still do not have tickets, but come on there is no conspiracy to steal from you.

Axver said:

But look at the calibre of the people who got standing ovations. Simply dismal. Glad U2 didn't get one.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. People who sucked got ovations, so U2 not getting one validates their less-than-stellar entry?

That you disapproved of the actual well-received says more about your apparent narrow taste than the quality of the performers.

As I stated before, I'm not a fan of Alicia Keys, Melissa Etheridge, or Green Day, but all of them were a hell of a lot better than U2 tonight, even if the songs they played were not as well written. From what we saw of the crowd reaction, a lot of other people felt the same way. And it's not like the audience was full of suits. There are artists representing nearly every genre of music. I'd be pretty damned honored to have that large a crossection of people standing up for my performance.

Better luck next year with Miracle Drug.

laz

the first time you heard a u2 song did you ever feel like it was the best song ever? and i mean do you really think the casual music listener, who doesn't even know the song thats being played and probably doesn't know the band that well either since rock has fallen to the bottom of music's hierarchy in the past 10 years will give a standing o for that? every single performer performed a song thats already hit the top of the charts on the radio (other than u2, and the sometimes single doesn't count because its not released in north america); and r&b/hip-hop/rap/pop artists will always get more recognition than rock artists... most of the great written u2 songs aren't ones that you can get into within one listen... the other day i was doing some work with my friend for university and he was playing songs on his laptop and i suggested he play the crumbs dvd mix that i had handy and he stopped playing it after 30 seconds claiming it sucks, saying that he likes beautiful day, new york and pride, but this song "just didn't do it" for him... if they played vertigo, or all because of you i'm pretty sure they would have gotten a rise out of everyone because those are rocking, high energy songs which are already on the radio... imagine if evanescence played "my imortal" at the grammys without it being played on radio first, everyone would be bored out of their skulls

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. People who sucked got ovations, so U2 not getting one validates their less-than-stellar entry?

U2 played well. I'm just pointing out that a standing ovation isn't necessarily reflective of quality.

aledavid said:

Need help for the query

The iTunes site says "in Production. Please stand by." Anybody have the video in yet? I keep listening to the mp3 (thx batman!) and can't help but notice Bono's voice in top form. He's even got a vibrato going in a lot of the verses. That is a good good sign! :up:

All of you that have nothing good to say about the U2 performance should go listen to another band I am sure the rest of us could do without your constant bitching and complaining.

U2 didnt get a standing obvation because I would say 95 percent of that crowd never heard the song before and were trying to take it in. Did Please get an obvation at the MTV awards no it didnt that doesnt mean it wasnt a good performance....This performance was one of the best ive seen live in a long time especially the range of Bonos vocals.

As I said in the 1st paragraph if you didnt like the performance go listen to somebody else it would be nice to hear something complimentry here for once.

I think U2 did fine tonight. It was an emotional performance-from what I'm reading on these boards, sounds like they've got a lot to deal with right now, and I heard the audience's cheers for them, they were loud enough, so I'd say that's a sign of something good (and seriously, I had no idea until this thread of the serious nature of Edge's daughter's illness...man, I hope his daughter will be okay and make a speedy recovery, and I hope everything else comes up roses for these guys, too). And :applaud: to them for winning all three of their awards-they definitely deserved them. Congratulations, guys. The "Across The Universe" performance had a few glitches, but overall, it wasn't that bad. Bono sounded good and all, so did Steven Tyler.

As far as other performances go, it's funny, for the longest time I wasn't much of a Green Day person-only in recent months have I started to not mind them so much-but man, their performance tonight was enough to make me appreciate them even more. They kicked some serious butt tonight, they were awesome and totally worked up the crowd :up:. Way to go, guys. Alicia Keys and Jamie Foxx did a wonderful job, too-I'm impressed by Jamie, I had no idea he was that talented a musician. And Queen Latifah-she wasn't too bad a host, and she did great on that jazzy number she performed at one point during the show.

And Melissa Etheridge and Joss Stone...yeah, they totally did Janis Joplin's music justice. Melissa nailed the "Piece Of My Heart" scream so perfectly. That little country/Skynyrd jam wasn't too bad, either-Keith Urban isn't too bad a guitar player (I keep forgetting he's from Australia. Doesn't sound like it when he sings). And tonight was the first time I'd ever heard Franz Ferdinand perform live, and they didn't sound too bad (heh, not too fond of Alex's hairdo, but hey, that's a minor quibble).

Yeah. Not too bad a show tonight. Some unexpected wins (you'd have thought Kanye and Usher were going to steal it all, but no, they didn't, some other people got a chance to win, so that's cool), some great performances...overall, pretty decent show.

Angela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom