The Numeral 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RED ELEPHANT

Babyface
Dave_BONO_03.jpg

Originally posted by She wanted the highway:
That pic rocks! Who is the tall guy?

Some goon who jumped the stage.
tongue.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Hey!
Diamond
Bruno
Nine

type in-anthonydecker.com/bono -(for related story and pics.)
BonoChick can you make that clickable?thanks.

Thanks-
Diamond

PS-
I think RED ELEPHANT= U2Bama

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-07-2002).]

oh wait..I almost missed diamond in that pic....small guy..hard to see

Originally posted by RED ELEPHANT:
Dave_BONO_03.jpg
You gonna try this again next tour ole buddy?

------------------
I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore...

Diamondbruno9, yours is a very special story. Glad to see an oldtimer get on stage. Good for you.
smile.gif

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
First tell me if Iam accurate.
Then I will tell you of my conclusive reasoning.
Thank you GypsyHeart Girl.

Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-07-2002).]

Bama, while you're at it, could you please also explain why the heck an elephant is a mascot for a team called the "Crimson Tide"?

Originally posted by speedracer:
Bama, while you're at it, could you please also explain why the heck an elephant is a mascot for a team called the "Crimson Tide"?

Speedy:

I am not sure what DiamondDave is on about, but, to answer your question:

In early newspaper accounts of Alabama football, the team was simply listed as the "varsity" or the "Crimson White" after the school colors.
The first nickname to become popular and used by headline writers was the "Thin Red Line." The nickname was used until 1906.
The name "Crimson Tide" is supposed to have first been used by Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald. He used "Crimson Tide" in describing an Alabama-Auburn game played in Birmingham in 1907, the last football contest between the two schools until 1948 when the series was resumed. The game was played in a sea of mud and Auburn was a heavy favorite to win.
But, evidently, the "Thin Red Line" played a great game in the red mud and held Auburn to a 6-6 tie, thus gaining the name "Crimson Tide." Zipp Newman, former sports editor of the Birmingham News, probably popularized the name more than any other writer.

The story of how Alabama became associated with the "elephant" goes back to the 1930 season when Coach Wallace Wade had assembled a great football team.
On October 8, 1930, sports writer Everett Strupper of the Atlanta Journal wrote a story of the Alabama-Mississippi game he had witnessed in Tuscaloosa four days earlier. Strupper wrote, "That Alabama team of 1930 is a typical Wade machine, powerful, big, tough, fast, aggressive, well-schooled in fundamentals, and the best blocking team for this early in the season that I have ever seen. When those big brutes hit you I mean you go down and stay down, often for an additional two minutes.

"Coach Wade started his second team that was plenty big and they went right to their knitting scoring a touchdown in the first quarter against one of the best fighting small lines that I have seen. For Ole Miss was truly battling the big boys for every inch of ground.

"At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, the elephants are coming,' and out stamped this Alabama varsity.

"It was the first time that I had seen it and the size of the entire eleven nearly knocked me cold, men that I had seen play last year looking like they had nearly doubled in size."

Strupper and other writers continued to refer to the Alabama linemen as "Red Elephants," the color referring to the crimson jerseys.

The 1930 team posted an overall 10-0 record. It shut out eight opponents and allowed only 13 points all season while scoring 217. The "Red Elephants" rolled over Washington State 24-0 in the Rose Bowl and were declared National Champions.

from www.rolltide.com

Thank you for your interest.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 04-08-2002).]

9 eh?
I always though 666 was the number of the beast.
smile.gif

s
h
o
u
t

a
t

t
h
e

d
i
a
m
o
n
d

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Dear Diamond-

Thank you so much for what you said on the other thread, I wish that I had taken Bono's cue too. I really would rather think he wasn't trying to motion to me than to think I was a frozen dummy and ruined my chance of a lifetime, but it sure seems that's what it was. I had a sign that said "Bono for 20 years you have been my Desire" and I had pics of him from all through the years, even a 1985 CREEM magazine cover. I loved the look on his face when he saw it. On top of everything else, they were at the tip playing DESIRE so it was a perfect moment- and I blew it, and it will haunt me forever! People try to say, be happy for what I had, but you know from what happened to you, it would have been the highlight of my life if I could have had those few minutes on stage with him. Then I'd have the pics and the story too. I can still see him staring at me with his beautiful eyes, his radiant smile, the lights glowing around his lovely hair like a halo, and he was talking to me and motioning his hands- and here stood this idiot smiling and freezing like Cindy Brady on the game show. Finally he turned away. I can't stand it. It was meant to be, but I messed up. I spent the rest of the tour trying for another chance and was only left wtih heartbreak and disappointment. I wish I could have that night back.

I never thought about that until you said it, but I think he did find ME the next night! When he came down during UTEOW, he squatted down right in front of me and stared right at me, I know sometimes it seems that way and it's not really, but I know it was me, there was no one between us! Then he grabbed my son's hand and jumped in right on top of us and it was awesome! Later, during WOWY I held up another sign, and he smiled at me, yes just me, very sweet and tender and lovingly, and I made eye contact with him for what seemed like a long time. I only wish I could let him know how much it would have meant to me, and how I was lame, if only I had caught on! Someone said he probably thought I was shy, like his daughter who didn't want to come up, but I was just too overcome, and I hate myself. I don't know what he thought, I wish I could tell him, and I wish I had another chance. Like you, I wanted and needed to make contact to complete the relationship and all those years. I know you understand that. I'm happy for what happened to you, and thanks for what you said to me. I got something, and I will always treasure my little Bono moments, but what I missed becasue of my own lameness will always haunt me. I will forever be left with waves of regret, waves of joy.

Thank you

Gypsy

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 04-09-2002).]

Gypsy thats an awesome story and I can understand your frustrations, I would have probly done the same thing. :-\

Bama_9 I'm sure you know why.
tongue.gif

333%3B5%3B4723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3A2965292ot1lsi

GypsyHeart-
You're great.

BamaRedElephanthead-
I think Sicy is telling you need to get some new material..in a her own way.

Maddie-
Iam a peaceful man, ask Bono or my or his friends.

Thanks-

Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-09-2002).]

Thanks Diamond and Sicy.

Maybe the lamest and saddest thing about it is, I didn't even catch on the second night in DC in June- I never did until Baltimore in Oct. when I saw him to exactly the same thing to the guy he pulled up to play guitar, and I just got sick and my heart pounded when I realized- that's what he was doing to me! He was going to pull me up, I was an IDIOT!! Then I started talking to people about it, hoping I was wrong, but they all said that's how he does it. I had never been so close before. In a way it's worse than having nothing happen then to screw up like that. *kicks self for all eternity*

Thanks again. You're both sweet.

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 04-09-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom