The NME Top 50 Albums 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patske

Refugee
Not bad if you know that u2 never scored very high in this list
(correct me if I am wrong)

The NME Top 50 Albums 2004

1. Franz Ferdinand
2. Libertines
3. Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free.
4. Scissor Sisters
5. Futureheads
6. Danger Mouse - Grey album
7. Kanye West - The College Dropout
8. Razorlight - Up All Night.
9. The Radio Dept - Lesser Matters
10.The Dears - No Cities Left
11. Interpol - Antics
12. Morrissey - You Are The Quarry.
13. The Killers -Hot Fuss
14. Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus
15. Dizzee Rascal - Showtime
16. Beastie Boys - To the 5 Boroughs
17. TV On the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
18. U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
19. The Concretes
20. Kasbian
21. Keane - Hopes and Fears
22. Gwen Stafani - Love Angel
23. Ryan Adams - Love is Hell (Parts 1&2)
24. Elliot Smith - From a Basement on a hill.
25. Kings of Leaon - Aha Shake Heartbreak.
26. Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere.
27. Mylo - Destroy Rock'n'Roll
28. The Ordinary Boys - Over the Counter Culture
29. Hope of the States -The Lost Riots
30. Dios
31. Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands
32. Kelis - Tasty
33. Brian Wilson - SMiLE
34. Amplifier
35. Graham Coxon - Happiness in Magazines
36. The Go1 Team - Thunder Lightening Strike.
37. The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons?
38. Goldie Lookin' Chain - Greatest Hits.
39. Eminem - Encore.
40. The Bees - Free the Bees.
41. Mos Def - The New Danger.
42. Regina Spektator - Soviet Kitsch.
43. The Music -Welcome to the North.
44. Wilco - A Ghost is Born.
45. Green Day - American Idiot.
46. Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans.
47. The Shins - Cities Too Narrow.
48. Joanna Newshom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
49. Selfish Cunt - No Wicked Heart Shall Prosper.
50. 22-20s

Re: Re: The NME Top 50 Albums 2004

ponkine said:
half of the list I don´t know who the hell they are :eyebrow:

That must mean they're bad then. ;)

Also, The Shins have a new album out??

considering NME aren't big U2 fans thats not so bad, and the majority of the albums near the top are great albums - not all necessarily better in my opinion but at least respectable.

3. The Streets- A Grand Don't Come for Free......

you are joking...right?

But yeah, U2 at 18...not worth fussing about, they put an album out. not everyone likes it.

Franz Ferdinand deserve #1.

On what basis do they rate the albums? It's obviously not on album sales or anthing quantitative.

Originally posted by
3. The Streets- A Grand Don't Come for Free......

you are joking...right?

But yeah, U2 at 18...not worth fussing about, they put an album out. not everyone likes it.

Franz Ferdinand deserve #1.

You don't like the new The Streets album???? That's totally cool--I can dig it and it's up to you....but could you explain why? I only ask because, along with Blueberry Boat by The Fiery Furnaces, it was my favorite album of the year. Sorry for any off-topic-ness, but I can't help but ask. I REALLY loved that album...

Last edited by a moderator:
Beastie Boys are way too high

Green Day is way too low..

but meh, lists like these are just that... lists.. who cares :p

korczykp said:
Beastie Boys are way too high

Green Day is way too low..

but meh, lists like these are just that... lists.. who cares :p

To the 5 Boroughs is one of the best releases this year. Oh well, music is so subjective anyway :shrug:

Franz is definitely #1. Chutes Too Narrow (not Cities too Narrow) by the Shins came out in the US in late 2002, but if it's a 2004 album in the UK, it slots 3rd behind Interpol. U2 4th methinks.

Fiery Furnaces Blueberry Boat is way overrated IMO. I didn't actually like it at all. That list is definitely missing The Arcade Fire's Funeral album. Probably my favorite of the year. I think most of their choices are decent, but the order isn't ideal. I haven't heard all of these mentioned albums, though.

Personal favorites:

1. The Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
3. U2 - HTDAAB
4. Interpol - Antics

Aardvark747 said:
I dislike everything in that list, except Keane, Green Day and of course - U2.

But it's the NME....and I could've predicted those 50.

Actually, I tell a lie. I have listened to the new Interpol album - and didnt mind it too much!:wink:

Obscure list. Not surprising though because obscure bands usually fare well in these types of list. Dont know why, perhaps an unwillingness from the critics to acknowledge that older and more well known bands can still be brilliant, even if they are not necessarilly "fresh" and fashionable. I mean where the hell is REM's around the sun?

U2 deserve higher.

intedomine- Around the Sun was not a very good album, in my opinion and the opinion of many REM fans. BUT, "Leaving New York" is the best song the band has released in years, and one of my ten favorite songs of the year. I just feel like REM has become a singles band with singles that aren't very successful on the whole.

UnforgettableLemon said:
intedomine- Around the Sun was not a very good album, in my opinion and the opinion of many REM fans. BUT, "Leaving New York" is the best song the band has released in years, and one of my ten favorite songs of the year. I just feel like REM has become a singles band with singles that aren't very successful on the whole.

I thought after one or two listens that the album was kind fo ordinary, but it grown and grows.
Is it innovative? No
Is it really any different to any previous REM albums? No not really.

Yet in some parts it is unbelievably brilliant. I will admit that Final Straw and Make it all go Wrong havent really done anything for me. But what an amazing contrast there exists between the almost happy go lucky Aftermath and the most depressing song I have heard in some time High Speed Train.

and what a way to end an album. Think of Worst Joke Ever, it's not so much what Stipe says but instead how he says it. No one can vocalise like that.
How can he sing in a way that sounds so effortless yet at the same time so difficult? I've been struggling to weeks to get my head around the vocals of Worst Joke Ever. It just drives me crazy and I am unable to truly understand Stipe is feeling, which is a great thing because I enjoy that challeenge.

Ascent of Man is very Animal yet singalong in an obscure way.

Around the Sun is soaring and once again leaves me awestruck at the unique vocal gift that Stipe posesses.

The album is brilliant because no one else can make one like it. And depending on the way you might look at it, it can really strike you as something very straightforward but at the same time very special.

Franz Ferdinand #1? come on it's a good record, and FF is a very promising band but definitely lacks of variety: it's always the same guitar sound for 11 songs...there's a lot to improve before we can talk of a #1 album

weird, for many critics the record of the year is The Cure... but where is it on that list ? :eyebrow:

call it obscure or whatever you want, but there's nothing like the new album from nick cave. it should top every list. (considering of course that u2 are from a league of their own).

I can see a lot of wrong things in that list

Wilco in 44?
The Shins album (is Chutes Too Narrow, by the way) was released in 2003

I like The Libertines, but they aren't number 2 in this year

:tsk:

Remember kids this is a British list... and The Killers should have been higher.

You haven't been able to buy a copy of NME all year without one of the top 8 acts dominating much of it, so it's of little surprise to me. I'd question alot of the placements, but I think HTDAAB deserves to where it is in the list. The only thing I don't agree with is the albums that have been placed above it - I think the order is all wrong, and half of them don't even deserve to be there.

Last edited:
My first exposure to the Scissor Sisters was on SNL this past week. Bono expressed an interest in having them open for U2 on the next tour (whether that happens is another thought). And NME now ranks them very high on their annual list.

However, I'm sorry to say I wasn't horribly impressed with the Scissor Sisters' performance on SNL. I absolutely hated the remake of the Pink Floyd song (not that I'm opposed to remake - I'm glad they made the song "their own" - I just didn't like that remake at all) and the first song sounded like a disorganized mess. That first song sounded like it was going in 4 directions at once. Sometimes that works - but I didn't get that feeling from it.

So, are they a lot better than the SNL show suggested? Are NME and Bono correct?

I really, REALLY liked Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, which Bono enjoys, so I give him a nod for their recommendation. But at present, not too into the Scissor Sisters.

doctorwho said:
My first exposure to the Scissor Sisters was on SNL this past week. Bono expressed an interest in having them open for U2 on the next tour (whether that happens is another thought). And NME now ranks them very high on their annual list.

However, I'm sorry to say I wasn't horribly impressed with the Scissor Sisters' performance on SNL. I absolutely hated the remake of the Pink Floyd song (not that I'm opposed to remake - I'm glad they made the song "their own" - I just didn't like that remake at all) and the first song sounded like a disorganized mess. That first song sounded like it was going in 4 directions at once. Sometimes that works - but I didn't get that feeling from it.

So, are they a lot better than the SNL show suggested? Are NME and Bono correct?

I really, REALLY liked Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, which Bono enjoys, so I give him a nod for their recommendation. But at present, not too into the Scissor Sisters.

Doctor Who, I want to share my love of Jake Shears and his posse with you!
Man, I love the Scissor Sisters. 'Comfotably Numb' is not their best by any means. When I went to America in the summer, I was telling anyone and everyone who would listen about how much I liked them... I don't know whether it's because they're so quirky, or just because Jake Shears is so damn camp and cute. However, I think they're the kind of band that you have to develop a taste for. It's not something that most people instantly like.
Anyways, yeah.... going off on a complete tangent there :shifty:
I'll send you some more of their stuff if you give me your e-mail, and let you decide for yourself.

Last edited:
I also hated the Scissor Sisters remake of Pink Floyd.

And in no way do I find Franz Ferdinand to be the best album of the year.

Back
Top Bottom