the next tour- possible setlists!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This – because your setlist is kind of boring ...

- "Where The Streets Have No Name" (80-100%)
- "One" (100%)
- "Beautiful Day" (unfortunately 100%)
- "Vertigo" (90-100%)

plus
6-8 tunes from the new album

-> this leaves 8-10 song spots in the set list for more "Greatest Hits" (which U2 have a lot) and (hopefully) a few dust-off gems from their past, e.g. "The Unforgettable Fire" etc. [/B]

Varitek said:
Do you know why they don't play RHMT?

Supposedly Bono finds it too hard to sing live. It was going to be JT's second single until he decided it would be daft to issue a single that he couldn't sing every or even most nights. However, I get the implication it wasn't totally beyond him in 1987 and could have been done at some shows. They soundchecked it on the third leg, such as on 28 November 1987 in Murfreesboro, I believe with the intention to perform it at Tempe for RAH, but nothing came of that.

I think U2 could play it, and Bono could pull it off, say just for a special occasion, but it's rather slipped under the radar post-JT and there's no impetus to pull it out of the mists of time like there is with something like One Tree Hill in New Zealand.

As for Miss Sarajevo, I agree with you. Prior to Pavarotti's passing, I think I would have ruled it out entirely as something special on the Vertigo Tour that, if done again, would be later than the immediately subsequent tour. However, with his death, I can see the band pulling it out for a few shows, say in Italy or on the anniversary of his death. I wouldn't consider anything more than a snippet likely, though.

hmm..everyone seems to be doubting Miss Sarejevo as a near-regular on the next tour...why would they stop playing it, it was such a hit and Bono's voice is unbelievable...

someone have an explanation? just cause they played it last tour?

thanks for that insight on RHMT btw...

Axver said:
Supposedly Bono finds it too hard to sing live. It was going to be JT's second single until he decided it would be daft to issue a single that he couldn't sing every or even most nights. However, I get the implication it wasn't totally beyond him in 1987 and could have been done at some shows. They soundchecked it on the third leg, such as on 28 November 1987 in Murfreesboro, I believe with the intention to perform it at Tempe for RAH, but nothing came of that.
I think U2 could play it, and Bono could pull it off, say just for a special occasion, but it's rather slipped under the radar post-JT and there's no impetus to pull it out of the mists of time like there is with something like One Tree Hill in New Zealand.

And I might add, that it is very rare, that U2 chose songs for the "vacant" setlist spots, that were not singles or otherwise "important" in previous shows. Nearly out of sight, when you think about a tune, U2 never ever have played live. Because this would mean:
1. ... to rediscover the tune at all (Oh, we have written this?)
2. ... to decide for and rehearse a live version (Oh, how can we play this?)
3. ... to opt for the way, the vocal performance could work and if that song still does mean something (Oh, should and how could I sing it?)
4. ... to ask, whether this whole process is worth the work, when on the hand you have to leave out gems & singles, that are more popular and will be appreciated a bit more by the mass audience? (Do they like it?)

That's why unfortunarely also tunes like "Acrobat", "So Cruel" and a lot of other older tunes have a problem, to find their way (back) in the setlists. And that's why I was driven to tears, when "11 O' Clock Tick Tock", "The Electric Co.", "An Cat Dubh", "Gloria" & some others were chosen in the last tours – and what made our (@Axver - cheers, mate) "One Tree Hill"-gigs in NZ so special, too.

So my wish is, that U2 follow the path, to dust off some gems from their back catalogue. Much more than for anything else it is time now the (2nd) live premiere of "The Unforgettable Fire". It is one of U2's singles, a true masterpiece regarding music & lyrics, a song with a message, a spirit – and hasn't been performed since Rotterdam 1990.
And for "operatic Bono" – as we discussed in the "Miss Sarajewo"-Thread (*smile*) – there shouldn't be too many problems finding a live arrangement, that he could master.

P.S. Yes, "Miss Sarajewo" might be a staple in the next tour – with Pavarotti & U2 images on the screen etc. – an "in memoriam" part of their now unfortunately forever gone "Passenger" & a spot for a moving vocal performance. I do even see a full band performance, folks ...

P.P.S. A performance of RHMT – one of my all time favourites – would be a dream come true – as it would be "Exit" back in the stable setlists ...

Last edited:
alright well i think it's safe to say that U2 will be bringing back something of that nature for the next tour..something fresh, from AB and pre- AB that we haven't heard in awhile, maybe even a tune from Pop...and when the time comes, it's going to be innnsaaaannnneee!!!

the other thing is...if U2 are going to keep ISHFWILF as a near-staple, i hope bono belts it out with that JT voice like in R&H version...it sounds superior to the vertigo styled version, although that one sounded pretty good as well... and Playboy Mansion seems like a song that could do really well live, and have a similar feel to it as did TTTYAATW from 92. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see....

Seeing as how JT is being remastered and rereleased, it isn't completely beyond comprehension that more JT songs will feature on the next tour...

Sorta how as one website put it, the Vertigo tour became the "U218 Singles Tour By Stealth"...

Here's what I'd like to see:

7 off new album then:

8. Vertigo
9. COBL
10. Sometimes
11. Streets
12. WOWY
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. UTEOTW
15. Bad
16. AIWIY
17. BD
18. WGRYWH (Electric)
19. Electrical Storm
20. Zoo Station
21. Please
22. One Tree Hill

Do not want to see:

Bullet
The Fly
Elevation
An acoustic set of Desire and/or Stay
One
Sunday Blood Sunday
New Years Day
I Will Follow

major_panic said:
Seeing as how JT is being remastered and rereleased, it isn't completely beyond comprehension that more JT songs will feature on the next tour...

Yes: Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With Or Without You, Bullet The Blue Sky (*smile*). These are four tunes from JT – everything else from the album, especially the B-side, in the setlist would be the biggest surprise for years ...

Back
Top Bottom