The Next One...Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well, I now own four U2 albums, and with my birthday money I am planning on buying a fifth. I know what some of the answers will be - to make my own mind up but can you help out a 14 year old (to be 15 in about 15 days I think) as to which CD you think I should get next. Should I go for 90's music and get Zooropa? or go back to the 80's?

I'm assuming you already have at least Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree, and maybe one of the two newest if not both. If that is the case, I'd suggest getting all the 80's stuff FIRST. Then get the 90's stuff.

I'm not saying that because I think one if better than the other, but I think that's just the better way to do it.

I think it's fun to go back and forth between 80's and 90's U2...you have ATYCLB, HTDAAB, Achtung, and Best of 80's, correct?

That means...you don't have The Joshua Tree :ohmy:

there's my reccomendation :wink: either that or The Unforgettable Fire.

AtomicBono said:
I think it's fun to go back and forth between 80's and 90's U2...you have ATYCLB, HTDAAB, Achtung, and Best of 80's, correct?

That means...you don't have The Joshua Tree :ohmy:

there's my reccomendation :wink: either that or The Unforgettable Fire.

Correct.

My idea was to get JT or UF, but I had an idea of going chronologically. By this I mean I think i would enjoy U2's catalogue more if I started buying the albums chronologically, meaning that the next album I get be Boy

Or am I just talking outta my behind?

Thanks VertigoGal! :wave:
Some of my favourite songs from the albums i have so far include -

ACHTUNG BABY
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Acrobat

80/90 BEST OF
With Or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Where The Streets Have No Name
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
The Unforgettable Fire

ATYCLB
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
The Ground Beneath Her Feet (my version had it)

HTDAAB
Basically the whole album, but my favourite is the long form of my username, City Of Blinding Lights.

These were all songs I gave 4/5 or higher for, so don't be shocked at the lack of songs under the heading Achtung Baby. Most of them are 3-and-a-halfs and growing on me with every listen.

Challenge - Out of this list I've provided, what album do you think matches my tastes most? (My prediction - UF or JT!)

hmmm....I think the Joshua Tree is a must, but going in chronological order might be kinda fun/interesting. Personally, I think Boy is a great album, so it wouldn't be bad to get that one next anyway. You didn't put I Will Follow on your list of favs from the best of the 80s though, so keep in mind that most of the songs on Boy sound a lot more like that one than any others on the best of.

If you decide not to go in order, I'd say get the Joshua Tree next, then War, then Pop for a twist. I don't know why, but I found TUF sort of hard to get into. :shrug:

anyway, have fun exploring U2's catalogue, and let us know which you choose! (you should review each new album as you get them...COBL_04's ongoing saga...plus it would give us a chance to go on about each album for the 28743294th time :wink: )

Go get The Unforgettable Fire. It may take a bit of getting into and probably won't grab you at first, but I'm now convinced it's U2's best ... and hopefully you will be too!

I'd say Joshua Tree or UF. If your fave song on htdaab is cobl, then I have a hunch that you will really like The Unforgettable Fire.

Those two songs are kind of like brother and sister to me. Though I must admit that UF blows cobl out of the water.

COBL_04 said:

Correct.

My idea was to get JT or UF, but I had an idea of going chronologically. By this I mean I think i would enjoy U2's catalogue more if I started buying the albums chronologically, meaning that the next album I get be Boy

ACHTUNG BABY
Acrobat

80/90 BEST OF
With Or Without You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
The Unforgettable Fire

ATYCLB
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite

HTDAAB
Basically the whole album, but my favourite is the long form of my username, City Of Blinding Lights.

These were all songs I gave 4/5 or higher for, so don't be shocked at the lack of songs under the heading Achtung Baby. Most of them are 3-and-a-halfs and growing on me with every listen.

Challenge - Out of this list I've provided, what album do you think matches my tastes most? (My prediction - UF or JT!)

The Ground Beneath Her Feet :drool: one of my favourite songs ever. you have good taste :up:

going in chronological order would be fun, though you already have AB... Boy is a good album to get anyway as VertigoGal said. A lot of modern bands, specifically The Killers, seem to have taken great influence from Boy, and U2 has done a lot of Boy songs this tour.

Based on your tastes, I'd say you'd enjoy The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree a lot. Of the two I find JT more "accessable" but it really depends on the person, I mean a lot of people found Pop hard to get into but it hooked me right away.

Whatever album you get, do NOT get the 90's Best Of. It is worthless. It has some great songs but you're better off just getting the albums they're on because I do not find it to be an accurate representation of what U2 was about in the 90's (especially with two songs that were written and released in 2002, wtf?). Also, I think the songs from Zooropa and Pop will hit you much harder if you hear them on the albums first... but I think since you just got AB you should stay away from the 90's a bit, either go in chronological order or get JT/UF, then later go back to the 90's. You will probably appreciate Zooropa and Pop more if you hear how incredibly different they are from the 80's :wink:

I agree with VertigoGal, you should review each album as you go :D whenever you get to Pop there will be a lovely 25 page thread that will surely end up as a Pop VS. ATYCLB or Pop VS. every album ever thread :wink:

Axver said:
Go get The Unforgettable Fire. It may take a bit of getting into and probably won't grab you at first, but I'm now convinced it's U2's best ... and hopefully you will be too!

Any album that has Bad, The Unforgettable Fire and Pride on it is going to be good. I love this lyric -

"I'm only asking but I think you know"

I think I might drop the chronological idea. It's going to be hard to find Boy. I think I'll get one of The Joshua Tree/The Unforgettable Fire/Zooropa (probably the Joshua Tree). Once I have all the albums I'll listen to them all in order.

I don't plan on getting the 90/00 best of, it might be one of the last ones I get (and probably only for the b-sides).

VertigoGal said:
anyway, have fun exploring U2's catalogue, and let us know which you choose! (you should review each new album as you get them...COBL_04's ongoing saga...plus it would give us a chance to go on about each album for the 28743294th time :wink: )

:lol::lmao::lol::lmao:

Don't worry, I will post a review...and keep your eyes peeled for The Next One...Part III!

COBL_04 said:
I think I might drop the chronological idea. It's going to be hard to find Boy
B]

Well Boy shouldnt be too hard to find.
Have a look around at JB-HI FI....I Confess to being a fan since 2001 and finally buying Boy, War and October from JB last November for $9.99 each at JB-HIFI.
I'm sure you should be able to track down almost any U2 album at JB.

COBL_04 said:

Correct.

ACHTUNG BABY
Acrobat

80/90 BEST OF
With Or Without You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
The Unforgettable Fire

ATYCLB
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite

HTDAAB

Well, you've pretty much listed all of my favorite songs off the 3 of my top four albums! So, if our tastes are similar, get the Joshua Tree; Running To Stand Still, In God's Country, One Tree Hill & Red Hill Mining Town are exceptional songs.

I guess I'm gonna do it.

GET POP!

That or UF. Whichever suits the style you wish to explore first.

Go for Boy or War

Boy - coz it's there first and so awesome (it's my fav)
War - very .....umm......great (i don't know how to describe it)

Unforgettable Fire has to be a definite.
Joshua Tree maybe next?

From what you've said, I think I would go for a classic and get JT. I got into U2 in 1999/2000, right before ATYCLB came out and I seem to remember hearing the albums for the first time in a totally random order. I think it was JT, then War, then Zooropa, then MDH, then AB. :huh:

AtomicBono said:
[B whenever you get to Pop there will be a lovely 25 page thread that will surely end up as a Pop VS. ATYCLB or Pop VS. every album ever thread :wink: [/B]

Pop vs ATYCLB threads :drool:

COBL_04...you shouldn't have much trouble finding Boy. I see it all the time at most CD stores, same with October. I know I already said this, but I'd get Joshua Tree next if I were you. I agree that Bad, Unforgettable Fire, and Pride are great songs, but don't expect the rest of the album to be like that necessarily. Not that I'm anti-UF or anything. :wink:

YOU STUPID ASSHAT. YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE JOSHUA TREE YET?!??!? :angry:

:wink:

But seriously, you need the Joshua Tree. Pretty much blows all of the other albums out of the water, IMO.

It makes Achtung Baby look like a Simple Plan album. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom