the next album WILL be the last I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
think about it...they'll all be nearing 45 by the time the next album (prob. Oct. 2003 rel.) and tour concludes. Can anyone here really say they could see them bowing out at 45 plus? If they do go on, I doubt they tour.
A year and a half to complete the new album, to me, spells 'if this is our last, lets blow the doors off on the way out.' ...that they'll try to create THE U2 masterpiece. But that's easy to say.
Or maybe it's because they figure with God, oh, I mean Bono, trying to right the world, it will take this long to finish. I just don't see why, with having eight demos now, they can't skip the european tour, and record the new album, release it by Oct. in time for the holidays...????
What ever happened to riding the ATYCLB wave Bono mentioned?

Damn, no! Think of the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney, David Bowie...
I absolutely DON'T think this will be their last album. My prediction: They will tour through Europe
smile.gif
, release an outstanding album about Christmas and - over the next decade - do their impressive age work. And they will tour!
You're crazy
tongue.gif

------------------
Take the money and run

Think what you will about Madonna, but she made a very good point. Just because an artist reaches 40+ doesn't mean they should put themselves out to pasture.

As long as U2 is in good health and making vital music, they'll be around.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

That is stupid. Age does NOT matter. The only thing that seems to matter to U2 is if they are still making good records and still spending time with their families. 45 is NOT that old. 60, yes, that is old. 45 is still young. U2 still is going strong and showing no signs of stopping. I think the only reason they'd stop now is if they weren't happy with their musical efforts and decided U2 was over.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Think Dylan. He's 61, his voice is shot, but he's been consistently making some of the best music of his career for the last few years. I can't say that about the Stones, McCartney or Bowie, but U2 are a band that has shown us all along they just keep getting better. Plus, they appear to be workaholics. I can't see them quitting anytime soon unless the next record is a total humiliating dud, which is unlikely.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 03-06-2002).]

I thought their last album was rumoured to be AB...no....Zooropa....no....POP.....no....ATYCLB.
tongue.gif
When they say it's over, then it's over. Till then, speculating is just that...pure speculation.

this wont be their last...they've got a contract until 2010. much more u2 to come!

alison

------------------
It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

If they stay cool like the Who? The Who essentially have not been a band since 1982. No new music, and in defense of the Stones, they have recorded 5 albums since 1982. I don't see the comparison to the Who since they stopped in 1982 with the exception of the reunion tours.

I agree with Sting re. The Who
comparing U2 to other bands is sort of meaningless anyway IMO

I think they still have a few more albums in them and they will keep touring for a bit

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

If All That... continues to prove, as it has all along, that it is the band's third masterpiece, then expect more U2. Their songwriting craft is just blossoming and, in case you didn't know, it was only recently during the Pop days that Bono mastered his falsetto.

The band that left their mark in the 80's and 90's are only going to do the same for this decade.

People who post "last album" threads need to be put up against the wall!

But if you noticed, how many BANDS are still going who AREN"T doing it MORE for the money???!!!!!! Not many. CSNY is doing it all for the money, as is Aerosmith, as is the Who. It becomes more about financing and retirement than music at some point, and that point, I THINK, may already be here for U2. They are a money hungry machine! But I love their music. I just think they are a little greedy. Hey, bono, if you care so much about Africa, give them some earnings from , say, part of your tour profits. No, but instead he wants to take it from US taxpayers. yeehaw! Smart man.

Originally posted by EXIT_TO_THE_NORTH:
Hey, bono, if you care so much about Africa, give them some earnings from , say, part of your tour profits. No, but instead he wants to take it from US taxpayers. yeehaw! Smart man.

you know...that is not only an ignorant and inane statement, but is really quite offensive. First of all, Bono does not equal U2. He doesn't own all the bands' money and what he does with his private life is his business. Secondly, Bono is trying to help implement REAL change and a lasting solution. And what the hell do you know about what he does with his own money? He's not the type to make a big public announcement of his personal monetary contributions to charity. Now THAT would truly be "selling out".

If a public figure recommended we institute change in our debt policies, would you deride them and tell them that they should pay for it out of their own pocket? Hardly. So then why the double standard?

Personally, I am sick and tired of hearing this. It's hypocritical and childish and shows a lack of critical thinking.

But if you noticed, how many BANDS are still going who AREN"T doing it MORE for the money???!!!!!! Not many. CSNY is doing it all for the money, as is Aerosmith, as is the Who. It becomes more about financing and retirement than music at some point, and that point, I THINK, may already be here for U2. They are a money hungry machine! But I love their music. I just think they are a little greedy. Hey, bono, if you care so much about Africa, give them some earnings from , say, part of your tour profits. No, but instead he wants to take it from US taxpayers. yeehaw! Smart man.

http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/018417.html

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

You can not stop a musician from making music. No matter what happens - the 4 will continue to make noise.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

U2 would only continue to make music for the love of making music. They wouldn't have to continue just to make money, they've been smart with all the money they made throughout the years. They'll make music as long as they find it challenging, and as long as they still have the ability to make music that is viable still.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
you know...that is not only an ignorant and inane statement, but is really quite offensive. First of all, Bono does not equal U2. He doesn't own all the bands' money and what he does with his private life is his business. Secondly, Bono is trying to help implement REAL change and a lasting solution. And what the hell do you know about what he does with his own money? He's not the type to make a big public announcement of his personal monetary contributions to charity. Now THAT would truly be "selling out".

If a public figure recommended we institute change in our debt policies, would you deride them and tell them that they should pay for it out of their own pocket? Hardly. So then why the double standard?

Personally, I am sick and tired of hearing this. It's hypocritical and childish and shows a lack of critical thinking.

well said, sula!! i agree 100% with everything you just said. first of all, we don't know how much money bono gives to charity- or whether he gives at all. however, given his political involvement, as well as that of his wife, i think he probably DOES give money to charity.

but this point is irrelevant, as individual contributions to charity will NOT solve the problems being faced in africa. although money from individuals/charities helps to bring about short term solutions, bono is trying to enact a long-term, global scale plan. he is trying to change the SYSTEM, instead of just writing a check and ignoring the larger problems. i think what's he doing is noble. i wonder, would all his naysayers prefer that bono just sit back and do nothing?? is that a better solution? i fear to think what this world might become if all people around the world were to follow that credo....

frown.gif

in another thread this was mentioned. just handing over money to something does not mean all the problems will be solved. you need to start at where it's important and that is convincing the people that govern that things need to be changed. the problem is far more worse than money. bono just can't give africa a million dollars and expect everything to be a-okay.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I just think they are a little greedy. Hey, bono, if you care so much about Africa, give them some earnings from , say, part of your tour profits. No, but instead he wants to take it from US taxpayers. yeehaw! Smart man.

Do you smoke crack?

Originally posted by STING2:
If they stay cool like the Who? The Who essentially have not been a band since 1982. No new music, and in defense of the Stones, they have recorded 5 albums since 1982. I don't see the comparison to the Who since they stopped in 1982 with the exception of the reunion tours.

Sorry, I should have clarified. When I mean cool like The Who, I mean the image, and the fact that they are able to continue to draw in younger fans. They have managed to create soemthing that continues to resonate with people my age, and I think that's really incredible--to create something that transcends generations.

I don't ever want to go to a U2 concert and see it full of only older people (older than 35 or so). No offense to people of that age, there's certainly nothing wrong. But I think its awesome that U2 have been able to stay relevant for people of all ages as well. At least half the people at the Elevation shows I went to were under 30, and about one-quarter looked like they were college age. There are quite a few people in this forum who only became fans after ATYCLB came out. How many other bands who are around for even 10 years can continue to do that? Looking at the Stones, I don't know, they seem really unhip to me and my friends. It seems like they lost the passion long ago. They just don't have the image of being a cool band anymore.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Foxxern, you are correct about the age thing. In order to stay a vital musical force, it is important for a band like U2 to appeal to both the younger and older fans.

This coming from one of those over 35'ers. No offense taken.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jezebel:
Foxxern, you are correct about the age thing. In order to stay a vital musical force, it is important for a band like U2 to appeal to both the younger and older fans.

This coming from one of those over 35'ers. No offense taken.
biggrin.gif

I gotta agree. As one of those over 35'ers myself, even I get depressed if I see 25,000 people my age under the same roof. Even when they look as good as me (she said immodestly).
biggrin.gif

I don't think I would like to see U2 end up like the Stones or the Who. I saw a tape recently of the Who live in 2000, and though it was cool that Pete was back on electric guitar, Roger Daltrey does not have the voice he had anymore, plus when he spins the mic, he drops it half the time, it's kind of sad...& I love the Who, but they should have given it up when Keith Moon died. As for the Stones, I've got to say, I still think Mick has a good voice, but he looks a lot like Don Knots on stage now. (I thought he was good at the NYC show though.) The Stones are pretty much a Vegas act now. Who knows, maybe rock stars are just not supposed to grow old gracefully. I think U2 can, and will, make records as long as they want. But I'd like to see they stop playing live while they can still deliver the goods. The Beatles stopped touring in their mid 20's. Do you really want to see Bono trying to sing Bad in his mid 50's? It's tough enough on him now....This tour was great, as I'm sure the next one will be. But didn't the man himself say at a certain point it's about self respect?

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
you know...that is not only an ignorant and inane statement, but is really quite offensive.

And what the hell do you know about what he does with his own money? He's not the type to make a big public announcement of his personal monetary contributions to charity. Now THAT would truly be "selling out".

I think asinine is a much more pungent and aromatic synonym for an insult than inane, but to each their own I guess...

You ask 'What do you know about what he does with his money'...

I think just to cover all bases, we should ask you 'How the hell do you know he's not one to make a big public announcement' (As he stuffs his ego into the nearest SkyScraper).. because he hasn't made any such announcements?.. Maybe he has not just given any $ to Africa, I don't know anything to confirm or negate that.. Chime in if there is anything there... Thanks..

The statement, 'Why Don't you give your own money as well', or something to that sort, reflects a thread I created in FYM about Virginia opening up a program where people (Liberals) can donate extra money, other than their taxes, to help pay for the programs that they (Liberals) Oh So Clamor For. [Not starting a discussion on this, just pointing out that it is a valid point]

I'd be interested in hearing 'why' such a statement by .. Who was it that posted it.. Edge of North?.. Anyways, Why such a statement is 'ChildisH', and exactly why It shows a lack of critical thinking?.. Ah. Exit to the North.. That's it.. I think it's a perfectly valid point, if anything as a stronger symbolic gesture for someone to donate to their cause more than anything, Whether it be the Liberal Government programs I referenced above, or Bono's Drop the Debt Parade.

Don't be so quick to judge such statements as childish et al.. How old are you? Still in High School?.. We all have our 'idealistic' stages.. You'll pass through it in due time.

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by Lemonite:
Don't be so quick to judge such statements as childish et al.. How old are you? Still in High School?.. We all have our 'idealistic' stages.. You'll pass through it in due time.

Hmmm, I was wondering the same thing about Lemonite: "When is he going to grow up and pass through this 'idealistic' stage?" "When is he going to stop being so childish and self-important sounding?"

Hopefully you will pass through it in due time. We won't wait for you though.

Um, go Irish!

*wonders if it is the old "I am special because I go to Notre Dame" complex - this hopefully will pass too.

Originally posted by zonelistener:

Hmmm, I was wondering the same thing about Lemonite:

Um, go Irish!

*wonders if it is the old "I am special because I go to Notre Dame" complex - this hopefully will pass too.

Ah... Jealousy rearing it's ugly head. That's why so many people dislike ND, and what it stands for, I hate to disappoint you, but that will never pass, And sadly, it is something you will never understand.

Enjoy your night.

L.Unplugged

If they can stay cool like The Who, I say keep going. But if they descend into that Rolling Stones area.... let's pray that doesn't happen.

I always think of that quote from Larry at the end of the VH1 Legends show when he says "I don't want it to end, I don't want the experience to end. I know the band might have to record less, and tour less, but whatever it is that's special between the band, I never want that to finish."

------------------
Change is the only constant

ON MTV NEWS they showed a clip of bono after the grammy,s and he says that the next album will blow you all away and its going to be very ground breaking . have you guys herd of this.this clip i saw last night on mtv.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom