the next album WILL be the last I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that U2 were already old,
smile.gif
I've got this impression that once an artist turns 40, it doesn't really matter whether they're 40, 45 or even 50; they're still regarded as "old" by the people. Some don't see much difference between, say, Madonna (who is 43) and Cher (who is in her fifties).

I think that the reason many people find Aerosmith embarrassing is not because they're "old", but rather because they're acting as if they're stuck in a Never-never land. I mean, I'm all for rock stars to be flashy and fun, but the sight of Steven Tyler in torn-up sleeveless T-shirt and rippled jeans singing while the camera's fuzzy focus blurs out his wrinkles in Aerosmith's last video is just plain cringeworthy. Unless U2 have a really scary midlife crisis and start populating their videos with writhing half-naked young women, I think they have a pretty good chance to age gracefully. And it's not as if their music ever had that ranting-against-your-parents, hope-I-die-before-I-get-old vibe that often makes people snigger at the aging rock bands playing their old "rebellious" tunes.

Overall, I think U2 have already broken most rules as far as bands' longevity, popularity and relevance go, and right now they're crossing into uncharted waters, so the next years should be pretty fascinating to watch.

Originally posted by Lemonite:
I find it funny that you even think I am short sighted enough to even want to enter a field that would place me in a cubicle.. You have no idea who I am, or where I am going professionally. So I won't even address the rest of your post.

Yep, there is the "naive college boy" talk I was talking about. Again - when you hit the real world - enjoy your pie my friend.

By the way - I did enjoy my evening.

[This message has been edited by zonelistener (edited 03-08-2002).]

Originally posted by Saracene:

Unless U2 have a really scary midlife crisis and start populating their videos with writhing half-naked young women, I think they have a pretty good chance to age gracefully.

Maybe rocks stars aren't supposed to age gracefully...who knows? I really haven't seen many who do. Maybe U2 will be one of the first. I hope so. I would kind of dread seeing them end up like The Who or Plant & Page, and this isn't even appearence wise-although Robert Plant looks like an old grandmother now-just listen to how they sound. Does anyone want U2 to end up like this? Touring & taking your money just because they can, even if they have become a shadow of their former selves?

Originally posted by Saracene:

I think that the reason many people find Aerosmith embarrassing is not because they're "old", but rather because they're acting as if they're stuck in a Never-never land. I mean, I'm all for rock stars to be flashy and fun, but the sight of Steven Tyler in torn-up sleeveless T-shirt and rippled jeans singing while the camera's fuzzy focus blurs out his wrinkles in Aerosmith's last video is just plain cringeworthy.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread. Steven Tyler's act has never changed. At this point, it's embarrasing.

U2, on the other hand, have aged quite gracefully.

You guys just wait until you're over 40--you'd be surprised what you find yourself doing and how you dress, because inside you still feel like you're 18 except way better because of the accumulated life experience. I applaud Steven Tyler for not dressing the way society says a man his age should dress. At 41, I was recently told I'm too old to be wearing tank tops. Fuck that shit--I'm finally tank top worthy and I'm flauntin' it, baby.

is that why you rfrom says: the high desert mountains

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
is that why you rfrom says: the high desert mountains

I don't quite get it--you're suggesting my point of view on aging is because I'm high?

I'm at a high altitude in the desert mountains. We call it the high desert mountains.

Don't hurt me Salome--I'm feeling fragile today, which is why I had to adopt that bad-ass attitude.

I only hurt little children

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Of course, I have been high in your fair country--that was more fun to see than me in a tank top.

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
if it's another mainstream pop album like ATYCLB, I hope it is their last. You can respond if you want, I didn't say I disliked ATYCLB, but to me it's U2-lite, and I'd rather just have them move on than make another attempt at selling records.

Yes, I agree...to an extent. Although, much of ATYCLB was light(Stuck In, Kite, Grace) it is their most cohesive and fluent album since AB(and their best, I might add).

I hope the next album is heavier, but not a repeat....and U2 has NEVER repeated themselves so I am not worried about this!

WHat do you think?

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
Perhaps you should write a letter to U2 and Principle Management letting them know how you feel. I'm sure they would take your opinion into consideration as they debate the direction of U2's career.
rolleyes.gif

U2 is going to do what they want. If they decide to make five more albums and they're all up on stage in Depends with no hair/gray hair and pants pulled up to their nipples, then you can decide not to be a fan anymore. The bottom line is, U2 will make the decision and live with the consequences, not the "fans."

That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!!!! LOL!!!

With AC/DC the band has a lot of old albums that have continued to sell well over the years, but their current product really does not sell very well in terms of popular artist. Their past two studio albums have been under 3 million worldwide. They also struggle to sell out arena's with a top ticket price of only 45$. They have not had a big album since the Razors Edge. In terms of the business, this is not a band that has aged well at all.
The band are still good though at what they do. Although they really don't experiment at all. I imagine they will continue to play and record, but they are not the shining example of an ageless wonder.

If Bono's voice does crack up in ten years time all they hve to do is get edge to sing more and more, In concert he could learn to back Bono more and more in thier older songs!
For example, Bad, Elevation (the Woohoohoo), Mysterious ways (he already does), One (at the end), Where The Streets have No Name and With Or Without You.

If The Edge could take an equal share of the singing in ten years time, the band will still sound great well into their 60's!!!
No matter what Song they play!!

This thread is making U2utah feel very old
frown.gif

It seems I have only a few more years to be be attractive and learn new things!
wink.gif

Originally posted by Zoo Station:
Sadly, once artists are past the age of 42 it seems they become unpopular

Sadly, it's the kind of sentiments that you express below that causes people past 42 to become unpopular. (I wonder if Bono was 42 right now if you'd have said 43. Hmmmm)

Originally posted by Zoo Station: Appearance wise I don't want U2 to go on for too long because they'll be like the Stones and be remembered as a bunch of greying, 40/50 year olds. The funny thing with ATYCLB was although they had reached 40 cept for Edge they looked younger than they did for Pop. I remember being shocked at how old Bono looked with his cropped hair and withered eyes. Adam also looked really grey. With ATYCLB they solved the problem with Bono has grown his hair back and he shows no signs of balding.[perhaps this is nitpicky but his hairline is obviously receding
wink.gif
It's dyed jet black so he looks really young. Adam has also dyed his hair as well. Larry has remained as a ageless as ever while the Edge still has his hats to hide his bald head. He needs to dye his goatee though!

But it is not just on age and appearance. U2 simply have no further musical directions to take and explore....
They would also be too old to master any new directions properly though it is amazing how young they sound on Pop despite being mid/late 30s....
If they did make anymore albums after this next one they would just be the same in style and steadily worce than the previous one.

Oh my!
rolleyes.gif

It may be hard for our younger forum members to believe, but life does not end at 45 and people can be creative and vital even when they aren't as young and sexy as they once were. Yes, even past the advanced age of 45 or even "gasp" 50! They may not have quite as much mass appeal (due to attitudes like those above) but they still can do great things.

U2 needed the current big popularity push to cement their position as music icons. Having succeeded, it won't be quite as important from now on although I'm sure they'll always do their damdest to be as popular as possible. Now they can go on forever without the music establishment raising eyebrows as long as they do good work.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by u2utah (edited 03-08-2002).]

Originally posted by u2utah:

It may be hard for our younger forum members to believe, but life does not end at 45 and people can be creative and vital even when they aren't as young and sexy as they once were. Yes, even past the advanced age of 45 or even "gasp" 50! They may not have quite as much mass appeal (due to attitudes like those above) but they still can do great things.

You are correct. Age is just a number. It won't matter to me if U2 sales start to decline as long as they continue to do good work. No other active band can really touch them in terms of sales & longevity. They don't really have any thing to prove. My point is I don't really want to see them start to cruise, as Bono says, and turn into another dinosaur act. If there is any band that can be creative & relevant into their 50's, it probably is U2. The only thing I'm saying is how many bands or artists have been able to achieve this? Can anyone name more than 2 or 3? I have faith in U2, and I hope when they know can't deliver the goods anymore, they will take themselves out of the game.

Here's what U2 could do to improve their chances in our youth-obsessed culture:

1. Hire "cool" designers and animators and become a cartoon band a la Gorillaz. Think about it: they'll always look good and funky with no worries over wrinkles or receding hairlines.

2. Make Larry a frontman instead of Bono. When the band will be in their sixties, Larry will probably look not a day over fourty and will still be able to get away with that unbuttoned shirt look,
smile.gif

I am sorry MBH, but I disagree about Kite being "U2 Lite." You can call the whole album "U2 Lite" if you'd like, but just don't refer to Kite as being a lite tune.

You obviously listen to this song, but you don't "hear" it. Or is it the other way around?
wink.gif
(White Men Can't Jump)

------------------
"Pull the trigger on a rock n' roll ****** bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker!" -Bono, Bullet the Blue Sky.

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 03-08-2002).]

I know a lot of people seem to have the impression that I'm ageist. Yes I'm an 18-yr old who understands how other people my age look at bands. I hate it and I suppose some see U2 as old anyway. I am definitely not ageist when it comes to music I like New Order (45 yr olds now) and Peter Gabriel (52) (god I wish he would hurry up with his new album).
I suppose my attitude is that U2 should stop and just do occasional tours is because of a fear that they could end up like a lot of other bands such as the Stones etc. I just want U2 to quit while they are still remembered as something special and extraordinary. For a band to recapture their peak popularity after 13 yrs of originally peaking is spectacular. Face it, most bands after 45 make the same records over and over again that sell less and less and they lose their reputation. I want U2 to be remembered as something special like The Beatles.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Jealousy huh....Do you know where I went to school? I respect ND - and actually spent quite a bit of time there while in college. I even cheer for the Irish.

I have an enormous amount of pride for MY alma mater. Its has served me well in my career pursuit. The pride that my fellow alums have for our school has also helped out quite a bit along the way.

But, Silly naive college boy, wait till you get out into the real world and realize college is all about what you make it - not a pretty name you put on a resume. This "jealousy rears its ugly head" won't be an excuse for why you don't get a job - or end up sharing a cubicle with someone who went to a technical instution - and made the most of it.

Oh, bells will ring in Interferenceland when our little Naive Lemonite gets his first taste of humble pie. Wear a bib L.unplugged, it's going to be a messy day at the dinner table!

Go Irish!

Careful there with the sarcasm... I have TWO degrees from ND and probably a LOT more "world" experience than you. Don't dismiss someone because of their age - and this goes BOTH ways. I'd hate to see someone dismissed because he/she doesn't have enough world experience simply due to youth; yet I'd hate to see someone dismissed as not relevant due to age.

I don't understand this strange assumption that one can not make great music or the best music of their life after the age of 45! This simply makes no logical sense at all. U2 are superior currently to any of the new blood that are between 18-22 in age which of course is not a surprise. Age is just a number. This is not the NFL Football, but music. The most physical part of U2 is Larry and he still looks like he is in his early 20s.
This band formed when the members were 14,15,16, and 16. This has lasted most of their lives and I don't see it ever stopping. As the Edge said recently, "The Band that plays together, stays together". When he says play, he means hang out together. Despite their age and families and other activities, a person going through Dublin in low season still has a chance to run into the band in a small pub have a few pints. For most musicians, music is like breathing. They are going to take this as far as they can!

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Careful there with the sarcasm... I have TWO degrees from ND and probably a LOT more "world" experience than you. Don't dismiss someone because of their age - and this goes BOTH ways. I'd hate to see someone dismissed because he/she doesn't have enough world experience simply due to youth; yet I'd hate to see someone dismissed as not relevant due to age.

Doc -
You DO have much more wordly knowledge than I do - I have read your posts and respect you very much. And I would NEVER put down Notre Dame. Like I said, I respect the school a lot.

To explain, the sarcasm comes in when I targeted this message to Lemonite who is contantly degrading people because of their age ( I have seen him do it to a handful of people in FYM), and I am tired of it. He is always so self righteous, and it is sickening.

I hope everyone understands that not everyone from Notre Dame is like this. There are some very smart, proud AND HUMBLE alums/students of Notre Dame - damn vocal minority!

Originally posted by zonelistener:

To explain, the sarcasm comes in when I targeted this message to Lemonite who is contantly degrading people because of their age ( I have seen him do it to a handful of people in FYM), and I am tired of it. He is always so self righteous, and it is sickening.

Doc,

Zonelistener has made it a vendetta from his cubicle that he was telling me I was going to Walk into a cubicle and trip face first whilst falling on top of a bottle of Jack Daniels as someone trips me by tying my shoelaces together.. And that is going to be an everyday happening apparently.. And apparently he assumes I'm going to be entering 'business'.. Well, we'll let him assume what he wishes.

He also likes to use big words he just looked up in Rogets.

L.Unplugged

We'll see. Up to a point, age IS a factor when it comes to image (lots of people already won't get into U2 just because they're ageing rockers), and looking hip (particulary Bono) is going to be increasingly harder after approaching 50.

Musically, the biggest problem is Bono's voice IMO. As long as he can keep touring, i think they will be fine. As for reaching new musical teritorries, there's still uncharted teritorry. More music a la MDH soundtrack songs, traditional Irish music influeced music like Wild irish rose etc...having said that, everyone fades away eventually, if nothing else, because they can't connect to the younger generations anymore like they used to, or they continue to make the same kind of music all the time (AC /DC a great example). It's only natural that the new replaces the old.

U2 can and will call it quits whenever they are ready. They can also stop touring and make albums only, Beatles did that and it didn't seem to affect them in a negative way. About the Stones touring at 60, i think it's silly for Mick to try and act like he's 18 again, and jump around on stage. Touring can only work up to a certain time IMO (not to mention it will be hard to come up with something topping Elevation tour)

OF COURSE the next album is going to be less succesfull than ATYCLB (because it will be different). If you look at the past: Zooropa followed AB and R&H followed JT. Both were different than their predecessors and less successull commercially (and to be honest, they don't keep up the predecessor's level).
I really doubt U2 can come up with an incredible album twice in a row.

U2 doesn't need to prove anything to anyone at this point. Even if they stopped right after ATYCLB/Elevation tour, i wouldn't mind - because they already achieved so much.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 03-11-2002).]

I'm not worried about U2 on record. I have faith they can make good records for some time to come. I do worry about them on stage though. I'm sure they have another good 10 years of performing in them, but let's face it, age DOES matter in this department. Roger Daltrey, who is great physically shape for someone in his mid to late 50's, can't sing like he did in his 30's anymore. It's just a fact of life. To me, It's not really fair to the songs or the people paying to see you deliver them live, if you can't put them across anymore. This is more so the case when you have a great voice, which Bono does. Paul McCartney, who I love, is a good example of this. His new album actually has some really good tunes on it & his voice sounds great for the most part. But live it's a different situation. Some songs he still can do justice to, but others...

Originally posted by Lemonite:
Doc,

Zonelistener has made it a vendetta from his cubicle that he was telling me I was going to Walk into a cubicle and trip face first whilst falling on top of a bottle of Jack Daniels as someone trips me by tying my shoelaces together.. And that is going to be an everyday happening apparently.. And apparently he assumes I'm going to be entering 'business'.. Well, we'll let him assume what he wishes.

He also likes to use big words he just looked up in Rogets.

L.Unplugged

Gosh, no place I worked was like this! LOL! Yes, there are always pranksters at a work place - but none have ever tied my shoes together to purposely trip me. And, while in my youth there were a few "hungover" days, it's not like I was drinking all day at work looking like a fool.

ND provided me with a VERY strong background to succeed in industry. I don't know your field or what degrees you are obtaining, but I feel ND should prepare you well for the real world. Unforunately, many people feel that if one goes to ND, he/she must be a "spoiled rich kid." This is hardly true. I was there as a grad. student, fighting for fellowships and taking out loans. I wanted a good education from a respected university - so I made that happen. My family is lower middle class at best and offered no help during my graduate studies and minimal help during my undergraduate years. Therefore, to assume someone is "rich and spoiled" because of their choice of schools is asinine. It takes hard work to get in and to stay in these universities - and people should be respected for that, not chastised.

Back
Top Bottom