The "New York" appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen far too much putting down of "New York" on this board to stand so I've decided to take action!

"New York" is a great song with a great chorus and excellent lyrics. It is stunning live, going from the electric chorus to the subtle intricacies of the "In New York I lost it all verse". The live "da da da da da da's" addition makes the song even stronger!

I personally have never been in New York but some of the lines of this song make you realise just the things that make this one place so magical. This song takes on added meaning after the events of September 11th.

Anyone who agrees with me on this topic please reply and let me know that I'm not alone in loving this song!

Well I prefer NYC before 9/11 , album and live versions are quite the same and kick ass very much , i think it's a hidden diamond from ATYCLB , and the only rock song , i didn't like the song at first , but then it really grew on me , one of my favourites by current U2 .

That song is very special to me. I live in New York City, and I remember ATYCLB came out a month or so after I moved here and that song was a true metaphor for my first 6 months here. Its funny, too, how true the lyrics have come to be. Also, I live in "Alphaville" and it never sleeps so to speak. Especially on a Friday or Saturday night people roam the streets till dawn and it makes it hard to "sit still".

I also am intrigued by the ambience of the sound. Its very unique, and dark, and mysterious and I love listening too it whilst walking around in the city. Particularly near the water at night.

:wave:

I too love this song, it has that almost 'zooropa' sound (i think) on the album but live is where it really shines. I wonder what it would have sounded like as a pre-911 single, had they released it here instead of 'stuck'.

Tackleberry, I hope you find peace in listening to it around the city at night- by the water.

Peace :)

We will find out a little more about New York with the Nice and Nasty mixes coming out next week:up:

Well I've never been crazy about the lyrics, I've always loved the music. It totally has that U2 rock sound. Edge's guitar just screams. The dynamics are awesome, too. I heard it on the radio during the Sept 11 1 year anniversary and thought it was a shame it never went anywhere.

"New York" is just one of those tunes that I can never put my finger on. I love the song and everything about it. The atmosphere it creates, the tingling plucks at heart strings, and the words of a man facing his mid-life crisis.

In fact, this is the type of song that makes someone want to have a mid-life crisis. It makes you want to go out into the city when the sky is black and there's nothing shining but neon signs of capitalism, fashion, and of course, love.

When performed live the song is magnified into a great U2 performance that you never would've seen coming (i.e. "last night on earth" during Popmart or "Miami" during Popmart). You can tell the song took a lot of work and The Edge loves to kick our ass once again with that thundering guitar. This is the way "electrical storm" should've sounded.

I can't wait to hear the 2 new remixes. Let's hope the guy didn't fuck it up.

-[z]-

I :heart: "New York"

I love the way that it builds and builds, and then just breaks! It's great! I especially love the "But it's down to Alphaville" line.

While we're on the topic of songs that many people seem to not really like, I just want to say that I really really like the song Grace. I think it's very pretty.

This was easily my favorite new U2 song. Beautiful song with amazing lyrics. Listen to the studio version very closely sometime...there are all kinds of "quiet" noises going on in the background. This song really kind of evolved over the course of the Elevation Tour with the Edge reworking some of his guitar parts before the Boston shows to give it more of a soaring sound. I think this is one of the songs that the band really enjoyed playing on the tour and I hope we get to hear it again on future tours but I am not getting my hopes up. There are just some amazing performances of this song on bootlegs from:

5/31/01 Buffalo remastered ALD
6/6/01 Boston IEM
10/10/01 Notre Dame Real Networks Satellite Feed
10/15/01 Chicago(my friend taped this show)

Great song and great thread.

Pre-9/11, there were always two moments on ATYCLB that gave me goosebumps...
1. listening to Beautiful Day while driving along the Loop Parkway comming out of Long Beach, NY... the skyline, especially the Towers, glowing in the morning sunlight... breathtaking... It truely is a shame that no one will ever again get to see that sight.

ocean-loop.jpg

2. Either driving or walking w/ discman through the streets of Manhattan at night, blasting New York. The ambiance that everyone's talked about, the one that they can't quite put their finger on... come to Times Square at night, past 10-11ish... then you'll be able to put your finger on it. Great song... great great song.

U2-1.jpg

Last edited:
New York was the first ATYCLB song I was hooked at straight away, and although it's not my favourite tune from that album anymore, I still love it's haunting, atmospheric feel.

I also got a lot more appreciation for it after I've actually been to New York last year, :)

I always liked this song. I've always liked the lyrics too. I always hear people knock the lyrics, but I think they're suitable. The song lyrics paint a picture in my head of Bono's life in New York, not just New York in general.

New York! New York!

Fell in love with this track immediately with the 30 second clip (remember those?). However, I must of overplayed it because it was also one the first tracks that I began to lose interest with after a year or so.

Along comes Jimmy "KLF" Cauty!

The Nice Mix - Essentially the same as the album version. It clocks in at 5:24 even though the booklet says 5:43 (don't you hate that). The heavy guitar parts are replaced with a more crystal-like guitar riff that is signature Edge sound. It is a great sound, but it doesn't have that raw punk-like feel that the original has. Actually, this version sound quite radio friendly now that the "New York New York" vocals are more up front. Gone are the last set of lyrics you barely hear over the guitars. It is a nice mix. Very much as the title indicates. The Nice Mix.

The Nasty Mix - A repetitive dance mix that I wouldn't want to do the nasty too. It starts off great, but I quickly lost interest. It clocks in at 5:00 just as the booklet says.

I love this song too! Probabably the most darkest and brooding song on ATYCLB. One of my favourite bits is "...you got a unquenchable thirst for New Yooork!" Love the way they did it on the Elevation tour with the drapes coming down around the heart and the sinister shadows being thrown onto the walls! Come to think of it, I think this is one of the best songs U2 have done live in a visual mindbomb kind of sense.

"Irish,Italian,Jews and Hispanics
Religious nuts,political fanactics in the stew,
Thats where I lost you...New York"

Jayhawk said:
What are the chances of hearing U2 ever playing this song on future tours? As much as I love it, I am not sure...it did seem like a song they loved playing live though.

I know what you mean. You never know though!

Back
Top Bottom