The New World of Concert Ticketing (from @u2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
No news for me (except that RMG part....), but what do you all think about this development?

It's clear for me that industry/artists just want to earn even more money with this auction-thing. The solution is so easy, just sell max. 2 tickets pp on passport number...

July 23, 2008

Sherry Lawrence

U2's Vertigo Tour saw a changing of the guard in terms of concert ticketing. Not only did the old Propaganda fan club transform into the many layers of U2.com and the ticketing complications that came as a result, but fans also found themselves scouring the web to find coveted General Admission tickets from sources other than Ticketmaster, Tickets.com, or their local original ticketing company. Thanks to several grassroots online mailing lists and forums, most fans were able to get what they were looking for.

The New World of Concert Ticketing

But while U2 is busy planning its next tour, the concert ticketing business is changing. Sites like presalepassword.net help fans, brokers and scalpers get access to advance tickets. Secondary ticket brokers are now legal in 40 out of 50 U.S. states and generate a whopping $3 billion annually. According to a report on ESPN's E:60 program, major sports teams are partly responsible for the change: Season ticket holders wanted a venue to resell tickets for games they were not going to attend. For example, the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team has created its own ticketing resale site called Flash Seats, where fans can resell their tickets and the team gets a cut of the resale profit.

Given the success of this business model, Ticketmaster has also joined the ticket resale business. Ticketmaster spent $265 million to purchase TicketsNow.com, the second-largest ticket reselling site. This may appear to be redundant since Ticketmaster's Web site already has a TicketExchange feature, but as the saying goes, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." According to a Ticketmaster spokesperson in the ESPN report, the company's primary focus is to offer a fair and equitable opportunity for the general public to have access and purchase tickets.

In May, Ticketmaster CEO Sean Moriarty spoke about this to ticket brokers at a meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada. A month later, TicketNews.com described the meeting this way:

"One of the meeting's key points was Ticketmaster's commitment to the secondary market, which Moriarty said began when Ticketmaster built its first resale platform in 2002. The company's commitment is due in large part to the huge financial growth opportunities that exist in the secondary market, and Moriarty offered up a series of statistics along these lines."

While Moriarty stated that Ticketmaster does not have control over what tickets the artist releases or the original price of the ticket, its TicketExchange product offers a true-value cost for what the market will bear. It is similar to stocks: If you purchase at the initial offering, you will pay the lower price. After that, it's whatever the market will bear.

In the ESPN E:60 report, Ticketmaster spokesman Joe Freeman said that the acquisition of TicketsNow.com is allowing fans as many choices as possible to purchase the tickets they're looking for. "Fans have embraced resale, quite frankly, as the numbers show," he said.

Despite its move into the secondary ticket market, Ticketmaster is still committed to primary sales on Ticketmaster.com. In June, it won a permanent court injunction and an $18.2 million judgment against RMG Technologies. RMG created software used primarily by ticket brokers that bombards Ticketmaster.com in an attempt to buy tickets faster than regular users can. Ticketmaster sued on the basis that this software violated the site's rules, which prohibit the use of automated programs to purchase tickets. According to court records, Ticketmaster produced evidence that one ticket broker used IP addresses registered to RMG Technologies to make "more than 425,000 ticket requests in a single day". Another ticket broker, also using IP addresses registered to RMG Technologies, made "more than 600,000 ticket requests in a single day." According to TicketNews.com, Central States Ticket Brokers Association President Barry Fox said that "the ruling could give Ticketmaster a license to go after brokers who used RMG's software. This can allow Ticketmaster to enforce this judgment against other brokers. They now have a tool in order to do that." As part of the court proceedings, RMG Technologies had to hand over the software's source code to Ticketmaster.

RMG Technologies countered in the court documents that its software did not violate Ticketmaster's rules because the company had hired people in India and Sri Lanka to manually type in the "captcha" words when they appeared prior to formally processing the ticket request. RMG Technologies founder C.J. Garibay has denied there was anything illegal about RMG's software.

@U2 spoke with a ticket industry veteran who has seen RMG's software in action. Our contact asked not to be identified by name, but told us that the efficiency of the RMG Technologies software was amazing, and described seeing 100 tickets pulled in the first 10 rows for a concert with lightning speed.

States are also getting involved, thanks in large part to last year's Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana tour. Moms and dads across the United States were unsuccessful in purchasing tickets for their kids, only to find thousands of tickets available through any one of the 199 legalized ticket resellers through the National Association of Ticket Brokers. In Minnesota, Governor Tim Pawlenty signed the "Hannah Montana Law," which "outlaws ticket-buying software that enables users to snap up blocs of tickets before much of the public can."

State laws and Ticketmaster's court win may slow down the way secondary ticketing brokers obtain tickets, but it will by no means put an end to the $3 billion industry. Our ticket industry contact tells @U2 that there are brokers still using older versions of RMG's software and running it on their own servers. On top of that, our contact says RMG's software is not the only automated ticket buying software brokers are using.

U2 and LiveNation?

Which brings us back to U2. Live Nation is the band's concert-promoting partner, and U2 is slated to be one of the first bands to fully use their new ticketing system in 2009. While it is still too early for any speculation, fans are already showing concern in many online forums about how ticketing will go, hoping that what happened in 2005 will not happen again. In the new ticketing landscape, nothing can be guaranteed.

The switch from Ticketmaster to Live Nation raises many issues for U2, and many questions for U2 fans. Will Live Nation have a way to keep automated software from getting all the best tickets? Will Live Nation's system be able to handle the load that a U2 concert sale creates on its servers? Will a presale to U2.com members happen – and if so, how will the presale password not be available to those willing to pay for it through presalepassword.net? Will U2 move forward setting up its own auction site, as Paul McGuinness mentioned while at an industry convention in Los Angeles in February? How much will people pay in an official auction for a U2 concert ticket?

Live Nation did not return our requests for comment for this story.

For now, it's all about patience for U2 fans. The competition for tickets has certainly gotten tougher thanks to the legalization of secondary ticket sales and the growth of the presale password sites. We can all but hope that Larry Mullen does not have to write another letter like the one he did in 2005.

(c) Lawrence/@U2, 2008.

Ahhh isn't it any wonder so many people get so stirred up over the whole ticket sale fiasco when articles like this are published to do just that......get people stirred up?! No fan will ever be completely satisfied about the whole ticket sale issue, especially U2 fans. U2 fans should be happy with the fact that this is one of the biggest bands in the world who continue to keep the average fan in mind by keeping their ticket prices much more reasonable than other rock bands! I will patiently wait for tickets to go onsale and take what I can get, no whining fits from me. :wink:

U2 fans should be happy with the fact that this is one of the biggest bands in the world who continue to keep the average fan in mind by keeping their ticket prices much more reasonable than other rock bands!

To date, the crappy tickets I bought to see U2 on the Vertigo Tour (clocking in at a whopping CDN $187.00) were much more expensive than the good tickets I've bought for other performers of equal quality and comparable popularity. Now, I know it was obviously great to just be there. I had a very good time at the show, despite wanting to slap some life into the casual fans in my row. However, I think $187 is too great a price to pay if the band members look like ants from where you're sitting. U2's ticket prices are only reasonable if you're one of the lucky few to get GA. Maybe they're decent when you compare them to the Stones or The Police...but that's about it.

Anyway, I hope Live Nation is better than TicketBastard. I'm so tired of having to deal with the latter's inadequacies.

This last tour I paid $52 to $65 for GA, $165 for really good opening night seats, $165 for OK seats in Portland, and $65-$85 for Las Vegas shows that were AWESOME (I actually loved being slightly behind the stage). Looking back, I think the opening night San Diego seat and Vegas1/Hawaii GA (lucked out both inside the VIP area were the best. The only real problem I had with Ticketbastard is that I think the fees they charge are completely ridiculous, especially for "delivery".

I also got all my tickets via Presale, eBay and trading with people (a lot of friends made that way!) I'll do the same again. Just need to save the $$ :ohmy:

Tell me, is this right?

u207.jpg

I was in the first row behind the GA section, separated from diehard haven by little more than a flimsy gate and a few guys on security. The people standing TWO METRES away from me paid over $100 less for that privilege.

I especially like the dumb jerk standing right in front of me with his arms crossed, not moving at all. He became a little bit more animated during Streets and Beautiful Day, but spent the majority of the concert looking bored/miserable. I felt like calling him over and asking him if he would kindly hand me his wrist band.

Personally, I think U2's ticket pricing sucks. I'm a strong advocate of the idea that ticket prices should be based upon incentive. It's not right that a diehard fan should have to pay $187 to sit directly behind a GA section where casual fans twiddle their thumbs for $50. Granted, there are still casual fans who would pay big bucks to see the band up close like the diehards, but I think there would be considerably less of them.

For me, the ticket price is not the biggest problem. Although there is a limit of course! If I have to pay $100 for the GA ticket it's ok with me. I have more problems with companies buying the best places and reselling them for 5 times the official price. And if you refuse to pay that you are left with a ticket of $200 in a big stadiumcorner, second ring...

And I have even more problems with the ticket company (and thus also the band itself) earning much much more by organising a ticket auction. This is already happening for almost all music groups that have their ticket selling system via LiveNation. Probably this will happen with U2 too. In Netherlands at this moment every ticket you buy via LiveNation you are able to resell via their site. You make money and they (LiveNation=music groups) make money. I understand it's more honest that the band earns more money in stead of secondary companies. But then don't say you keep the ticket prices 'low', while at the same time joining a system that makes you more and more money!

I would be stupid if next time I will not try to get the maximum amount of tickets that is allowed, keep 2 for myself and sell the rest with profit...

I just can't understand why they dont allow dedicated fans,, ie, fan club, or even U2.com subscribers more time to buy tickets beforehand.. it just makes sense to me??

Personally, I think U2's ticket pricing sucks. I'm a strong advocate of the idea that ticket prices should be based upon incentive. It's not right that a diehard fan should have to pay $187 to sit directly behind a GA section where casual fans twiddle their thumbs for $50. Granted, there are still casual fans who would pay big bucks to see the band up close like the diehards, but I think there would be considerably less of them.

I think plenty of diehard fans also paid $50, so I don't see the problem. They can't satisfy all the people all the time (let alone demand :) ).

:mad:Yeah? Well, when I Started out into this band, one only had to wait all nite in line...and your reward was the best seat! And then..fans Traded, not sold to each other, tickets they did not want, to get tickets in another city that they did!! I have always loved the bands music, but it's the band LIVE that does it for ME!!! I missed the whole tour last time, cuz I don't have the money for the high prices of Seat, and don;'t have the time to sit out on sale day or concert day all day for the tickets I could pay for!! And I too, think it So unfare, that diehards have to be behind people that just don't Care, whatever They paid!!:|
Never has U2 Live, ever been about just sitting/boredom!! There has Got To Be Another Way, than this!! :doh:Or your adverage, working class fan into the working class/peoples band
won't make it!!:|

I just can't understand why they dont allow dedicated fans,, ie, fan club, or even U2.com subscribers more time to buy tickets beforehand.. it just makes sense to me??

Why allow more time? The last time U2.com subscribers already got to buy some tickets a few days early and the allotted tickets still sold out quickly. Sold out is still sold out.

I think plenty of diehard fans also paid $50, so I don't see the problem. They can't satisfy all the people all the time (let alone demand :) ).

That's not really the issue. The best tickets are priced so low that they appeal to diehards and casual fans. Why should I have to compete with a guy who knows two songs and spends the rest of the evening looking bored out of his skull? Based upon his interest level, I highly doubt that he would have bought GA tickets if they were priced a bit higher. I know, I know - you're going to tell me that casual fans have every right to see the band up close, even if they do stand there with their arms crossed, talking on their cellphones, etc. I do agree with that. I just...I don't know.

I think it's very frustrating that there is such a massive pricing disparity between the various arena/stadium levels. You really feel like a loser when you realise that the view you got for $187 is exactly the same as the view that some bored, uninterested person got for $50.

This is how I would price it (taking into consideration that the average ticket price on the Vertigo Tour was $90):

Floor: $100-$120
Lower Bowl: $85
Upper Bowl: $65-$75

The average is roughly the same, but the difference between each level is much smaller. I know some diehards wouldn't be able to pay $100 or more for a floor ticket, but $85 for a lower bowl seat is very reasonable and potentially results in a seat next to the stage.

I don't like the prices either, but that's what the market will bear. Heck, I paid over $170 for tickets that were $50 at face value, but I can't complain because I paid it, it was worth it, I'd do it again. I wanted to be in THAT spot at THAT show and didn't have time to grovel online for tickets so I went to a broker and it was a done deal. When I bought upper level seats on TicketBastard and decided I'd rather get GAs from a broker, I sold those seats using a local forum within two days and the couple who bought them weren't much more than casual fans that didn't try to talk me down in price (I asked face plus what I paid in processing fees). You and I don't want to pay $187 to sit behind the GA but there's probably a hundred people that WOULD pay TWICE that for the same spot.

Anyway, as for this new "system", my main concern is the load on the servers. It seems that whenever someone else gets involved in U2's business, they just can't keep up (think FanFire and the U2 merchandise). If brokers can hack it, so be it I guess. I was lucky enough to buy, sell, and trade for what I wanted last time and I'm hoping I can be optimistic about it again.

How about a ticket lottery? Could that work in any system we can come up with? :wink:

I was thinking of something involving two tickets at a time..........

I don't like the prices either, but that's what the market will bear. Heck, I paid over $170 for tickets that were $50 at face value, but I can't complain because I paid it, it was worth it, I'd do it again. I wanted to be in THAT spot at THAT show and didn't have time to grovel online for tickets so I went to a broker and it was a done deal. When I bought upper level seats on TicketBastard and decided I'd rather get GAs from a broker, I sold those seats using a local forum within two days and the couple who bought them weren't much more than casual fans that didn't try to talk me down in price (I asked face plus what I paid in processing fees). You and I don't want to pay $187 to sit behind the GA but there's probably a hundred people that WOULD pay TWICE that for the same spot.

I realise that, but it doesn't make it right. I would much rather see a closer distribution of general ticket prices.

Anyway, as for this new "system", my main concern is the load on the servers. It seems that whenever someone else gets involved in U2's business, they just can't keep up (think FanFire and the U2 merchandise). If brokers can hack it, so be it I guess. I was lucky enough to buy, sell, and trade for what I wanted last time and I'm hoping I can be optimistic about it again.

That's my greatest fear as well. If there's one good thing to be said about TB, it's that their servers can handle a large volume of activity on the day of a high-profile ticket sale. Whenever I buy tickets locally, I have to go through Admission.com (a small TB subcompany). Their servers are utterly incapable of handling the strain. I often experience load times of up to twenty minutes just to log into my account. I hope Live Nation won't be the same way.

I realise that, but it doesn't make it right. I would much rather see a closer distribution of general ticket prices.

I agree, but I don't see it every happening b/c there's really no reason for it. If people will pay $180 for a seat (or even twice that much), why lower the price? Heck if it were up to me you'd have to answer ten questions about Bono's underpants (or something) before you could even login to the system, but if the shows are selling out in minutes at high prices, I don't see the prices going down or them doing fans any favors any time soon. If I want to see a show bad enough, I will pay the market value for the ticket whether I can get face value online or have to pay a broker. All I expect from the band is their music, I wish there was a better way of pricing and selling tickets, but I don't expect any favors from the band. If they lost a lot of fans that would be one thing, but they don't seem to be hurting in popularity...

The difference gibson girl is you had a guaranted place in a seat, vs. someone that might not be in a guaranteed place. This was my view from the floor:

769552855_f4453bf221.jpg

That is with my camera high above my head. Sometimes/some people (like my wife) can't see from the floor. (shoot I'm almost 6' and I have problems seeing from the floor, and prefer a seat just off the floor)

There is a REALLY easy way to solve all the re-sale issues. 2 tickets per person for the best seats (at whatever price) that are available at willcall, and you show ID, and are escorted directly in the venue. No resale, unless you sell the one "extra" ticket.

Let's not get into "I'm a bigger fan than the guy in front of me" issue either. Many hard core fans snuck into the heart multiple times, with saved wristbands, faked wristbands, etc...most "non fans" wouldn't have done or known to do that.

well for me it's not about the price. i don't mind to pay something. It's just the intention that livenation (and the bands (like U2) taht signed with that company) have to make more and more money with auctioning...and of course the secondary companies. It's the whole trade around it that I don't like. How many people are there in the line that wanna have the tickets, just to make monmey out of it? It's the whole system that sucks and that is so unbelievable easy to solve...

as one poster already said, where are the times that you could stand in a row in the middle of the night to get get the tickets you deserve? (because of standing in the row the whole night).

grtz

Wait...nevermind, I woulda been closer, since I was taping...that must be Buffalo...Right Gibson Girl?

There is a REALLY easy way to solve all the re-sale issues. 2 tickets per person for the best seats (at whatever price) that are available at willcall, and you show ID, and are escorted directly in the venue. No resale, unless you sell the one "extra" ticket.

Let's not get into "I'm a bigger fan than the guy in front of me" issue either. Many hard core fans snuck into the heart multiple times, with saved wristbands, faked wristbands, etc...most "non fans" wouldn't have done or known to do that.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU! 2 tickets pp, on ID

Probably we have to face the fact that it's all about the $$$ for music groups these days...

The difference gibson girl is you had a guaranted place in a seat, vs. someone that might not be in a guaranteed place. This was my view from the floor:

But you paid considerably less for just about the same view I had (I'm assuming you paid face value) and had the option of getting closer if you wanted to. Still much better off than I was, guaranteed spot or not. Personally, I much prefer seats to standing...but I'd suffer through the negative aspects of GA at least once, just for the experience. The atmosphere in the seated sections opposite the stage wasn't exactly fantastic. I still enjoyed myself and the band put on a great performance (plus there was the debut of "Fast Cars," hell yes!), but that seat certainly wasn't worth the $185 price tag.

I live far away from the large venues of mainland Canada, and therefore have to travel by air if I want to see U2. It's a huge investment. If I can't get GA tickets or seats close to the stage, I'm not even going to bother. Especially if I'd have to pay close on 200 bucks again for a shitty view.

I agree with your willcall idea. It's the only way to successfully solve the scalping/re-sale issue. Some fan clubs do it...(and if U2 ever did it, I might actually consider purchasing a U2.com membership.) However, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the large ticket companies like TicketBastard were in collusion with the scalpers. I can't see that sort of system being introduced on a large scale.

Well, the whole idea of the GA floor is to make it affordable to get a CHANCE to see them close up. Scalpers can't get as much for the GA's as they could seats because it doesn't guarantee a spot at the front.

If they did seats on the floor again, anything close (first 20 rows) would be astronomical on the secondary market. U2 does GA because they sell more GA tickets than they could seats on the floor, and keep it "fair" for the GA folks by doing the lottery into the ellipse. I would support a system of paying more $$ for better seats and eliminating the GA floor, only if they can keep the floor seats out of scalpers / secondary market by doing the will call idea. Bruce Springsteen / Pearl Jam do it that way for some of their "hot" shows, and it works. The best seats last time were $170 a shot, and I've paid up to $350 FACE for great seats for other artists, and would have no problem doing that for U2, if it meant better seats.

The only problem is I would only get to see one or two shows instead of 10, and I wouldn't end up recording, since I paid so much for the seats. :)

sounds like a logistics nightmare, with most venues only having 2 or 3 will call booths.

Maybe if it's made cash-only it might work...

sounds like a logistics nightmare, with most venues only having 2 or 3 will call booths.

Maybe if it's made cash-only it might work...

I did that for a Tori Amos club gig, it was no issue at all. Cash/Paying at the venue would cause more problems. The tickets were paid for, I showed up in a special line, to get the tickets, showed my receipt, tickets were handed to me, and I walked in. Couldn't have been easier. Now, you wouldn't do that for all 16K seats in an arena, but you could easily do it for the 4000 best seats that might be sold that way.

Ive got a really, really bad feeling about all of this.

sounds to me like paul mc is looking to rid the world of anybody harming the music business: people using the internet and scalpers, and i dont think that he minds how much people have to pay for things legitimatly so long as it stops these practices.

i really really really really really dont like the sound of the U2 franchise endorsing any kind of online auction site for their tickets, because ticket prices will atleast double, if not be more expensive then that!

definetly worried :huh:

I did that for a Tori Amos club gig, it was no issue at all. Cash/Paying at the venue would cause more problems. The tickets were paid for, I showed up in a special line, to get the tickets, showed my receipt, tickets were handed to me, and I walked in. Couldn't have been easier. Now, you wouldn't do that for all 16K seats in an arena, but you could easily do it for the 4000 best seats that might be sold that way.

now I get it. By "best seats that are available at willcall" I thought you meant buy them right there and then.

Back
Top Bottom