The new original of the species is a huge improvement!!! you suck if you disagree.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
How can you even entertain the thought that the album version is better? The album version sucks compared to this one and ill tell you why. This one plays like it has a pair.

This song strips the song of its candy-assed, family-time sound effects and got down to the point. Any sound effect is band member made sans the beatles strings. You get to hear all of the great things going on in the original original. The dont have to block out the gay ass sounds from the keyboard to hear u2 playing the song. And lastly, what makes this one superior over the original squared is that i wouldnt have to turn this one down at a redlight. Same goes for the All because of you single mix. What the fuck were they doing in the studio last year?

I liked the album version when it leaked and i guess i got over it because of that damned keyboard. It doesnt belong. The keyboard was the reason i was nervous about them releasing this single. Now that its gone, and they added those quiet little shennanigans going on in the background that i like u2 so much for, i would be surprised if this didnt hit number one. Its got that sound to it now that it needed and it lost what made it weak.

I really wish they would rerecord the album after the tour. I dont think it would take them much effort.

Vertigo, stays
Miricle drug, needs a facelift.
Sometimes, cool as is
LPoE, very cool as is
City, good
All because, single version
Man and Woman, could use a facelift
crumbs, could use a facelift
One step closer, stays
Original, single mix
Yahweh, meh

I agree that this version is better than the "original" but the song itself still leaves me wanting more.

it needs something in the middle, but that would take a lot more time than simply adding a little and deleting a little. they would have gone u2 on us and spent 5 months in the studio playing with the song.

Just to eleborate further. The single version has its plus points, notably the ringing guitar that wasn't there before. But what I love about the original album version is the mid bit where Bono's singing "sugar come on show your soul....etc" and then he goes into the 3rd chorus and hes really singing it, he holds that note from controllllllllllllllllllllll and straight into the "everywhere you go" bit, thats a great part of the song, but the vocals have been dumbed down a bit in the single version and this bit that I love doesn't come out as good on the single version. You cant really hear it. The album version is better but its always good having a different mix of a song, especially as Original is such a great song and the best song on the album.:wink:

Also during the chorus, Edges guitar is not as pronounced and this is also some of the best parts of the song. Yep definetly the original of original is better.:wink:

wrong. i can hear the bono controooooolllll and show your soul part just fine. you have to keep in mind that there are four members in this band, not two. its a shame that producer didnt realize this the first go 'round. its all so much better when all four are equal at the surface.

The single version is good but it doesn't improve the song all that much. They shouldn’t have changed anything on it imo. The original version is already the perfect pop song. I prefer the clean piano beginning, the orchestra during the chorus is not bad though. However too much orchestra may sound a bit too cheesy I think, I miss a little of the acoustic guitar too but at least the drums seem to be better mixed.

The Original version is the perfect pop song:yes:
Maybe the best U2 song ever?
And live is amazing, the Conan Obrien version is:drool:
Brilliant performance:bow:

I agree, the stripped down version (found in the Chicago DVD) is the best! And I like the Conan O'Brien version second best, better than either the album or the single mix.

The single version sounds fuller to my ears. If there was a problem with the album version, it was that it was a little flat sounding..ho produced the single mix by the way?

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:
Just to eleborate further. The single version has its plus points, notably the ringing guitar that wasn't there before. But what I love about the original album version is the mid bit where Bono's singing "sugar come on show your soul....etc" and then he goes into the 3rd chorus and hes really singing it, he holds that note from controllllllllllllllllllllll and straight into the "everywhere you go" bit, thats a great part of the song, but the vocals have been dumbed down a bit in the single version and this bit that I love doesn't come out as good on the single version. You cant really hear it. The album version is better but its always good having a different mix of a song, especially as Original is such a great song and the best song on the album.:wink:

The chorus guitar and the Bono vocal part you mention are both a little lower in the mix, but you make it sound like they are barely audible, when to my ears they are clear enough...and I much prefer the real strings to the fake ones..I think having fake strings can sound a bit tacky sometimes..on the single mix they sound suitably Beatles.

There's a bevy of links in the Music in the Internet forum.

If this thread title isn't sarcastic, then this forum just took a step downwards. :| Who *isn't* glad that U2 got rid of the "candy ass" "gay ass" effects? :|

You guys are missing something!

The do-do-do part sucked bigtime in the original and for me made it unlistenable due to the cheese factor.

This time around... instead of do-do-do, it is da-da-da-da and sounds much much less cheesy!

Finally a song I almost loved is listenable!

Bono's vocals, although lower in the mix, are much better in this version!

Way better!

I think it is produced better too.... the original did not fit together somehow.

Not sure what it is...

Some of the things I like better in single version. Strings and the new "do do do do" section.

That said, I miss the acoustic guitar and the piano intro of the album. Like others said, I think the album features the ringing guitar better.

I think the single version is very slightly better than the Album, but there's not much in it, plus the vocal is exactly the same one as the album version for the most part..

hm, i can't really decide. they're both excellent. but then again, it was my favorite song on the album at first listen (well, tied with COBL, anyway), and it still is.
i think i prefer the album version because of the more pronounced bono vocal. but it's nice to have two versions, and the real strings are a nice addition.

Since the other "Original..." single version thread scrolled off:
namkcuR said:
Well, the Amsterdam live versions don't have it the way I like it. To hear what I'm talking about, listen to one of the live versions of OOTS from the first leg of the tour...get the one from the May 10, 2005 Chicago Show - this is the show the bulk of the DVD came from. Listen to that performance. It's almost all keyboard and very little guitar, and I prefer THAT arragement infinitely to either studio version and to the later, full-band live performances.
Okay, so I watched the Chicago DVD. Do you mean the part under "Everywhere you go, you shout it..."? I like it; it brings out the beauty of that melody and agree it probably would have improved the single version.

(I still think you were setting yourself up for disappointment by expecting something specific, though. If you can get past that, it's not a bad version.)

Back
Top Bottom