The new album's gonna be Fantastic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosull

The Fly
Think about it.
We've heard Mercy already - super.
The last track they did in the studio was Fast Cars - new direction.
The arrangements they've been playing on tour of older tracks have been great (think Miss Sarajevo and Discotheque).
The sheer amount of tracks they've been playing on tour (including Fast Cars) has been brilliant too.
Although the B-Sides have been disappointing thus far for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, there must be a reason for this - i.e. they're holding back tracks that could be finished for a new album (as they always do - Love and Peace has been hanging round for ages, etc).

...therefore...

They seem to be extremely enjoying themselves and the music and messing around with stuff. The set up suits them, and they're playing is as good as ever. So the omens are really good.

:up:

Thought I think Mercy will not be on the next album. Something more like independent single I guess (HMTMKMKM, the sweetest thing, electrical storm etc.).

I sure hope so.
Remenber that for EVERY record U2 makes/records in studio time, they make up at least about 40 new songs. Some get recorded, others don´t. Some get shelved while others have three or more different lyrics added to them by Bono (he can never make up his mind). While some others just get an over all "special" Edge treatment with effects works and guitar riffs being added (or removed), which makes the song sound fast...or slower. Whichever is the bands mood during the studio recording.

Some of these studio recordings/outtakes are and have been available on numerous U2-fan sites and even downloadable for free from Kazzaa, Limewire (etc.etc.) I have quite a few Cds in my collection.

As far as really knowing what the next record will sound like is anyone´s guess. ONLY the band knows. But I am quite sure they are making some extraordinairy songs to unleash on an unexpecting world crowd. :rockon:

So...expect somethin´great as "normal" :up:

i was just going to start a thread about the new record. While i was thinking about it on my drive home, achtung just sounds so much more serious. divorcing your wife is a pretty serious matter, so its no wonder why the record reflected that.

dismantle sounds effortless, which can be a good or a bad thing. also, the subject matter just isnt as interesting. It's like u2 decided to be cute and fluffy after pop. The songs are fucking great but i just wish bono wouldve picked a different subject to talk about. i dont know, i can never make up my mind on whats going on with these records.

As for current u2, on Conan they looked a little different. a good difference. they look like theyre getting wierd again. larry's hair, edge's performance on the 'in the year 2000' skit, bono was acting kind of strange too.

Their image has ALWAYS portrayed what was going on in their music. maybe not early 80's but everything after that.

I think we're in store for the true return of U2. No back to the roots or whatever but an actual progression. Bono caught my attention when they were performing on Conan and he just looked so bored with the new songs. at the end of all three he'd just look so uninterested. if thats even a word. And from the shows ive downloaded they seem to have more fun playing the 90's songs.

In short:

i think theyre getting bored with this soft image they have now. I truly believe it's not who they really are and theyre itching to stun us again with a ground-breaking sound, idea and image.

I can't even begin to imagine what they're capable of these days. They're playing together better than ever and it also sounds like theyve pretty much mastered their craft. Think about how much better Adam is than 10 years ago. Think about Bono's new operatic singing style.....If he'd just quit screaming all the time he'd be on fire.

Didnt Bono say that he looks forward to singing concerts now? and that they are having so much fun playing their songs these days? Think about them having this mindset in the studio. I bet the songs would just pour out of them.

Maybe the new live discoteque is a hint and sign of the new direction. The edge is insane in that song. Hell the whole band is superb. Trance/Rock :drool:

I think the new record will sound like love and peace or else, that kind of stuff. Don't know how to call this genre, style. Industrial rock?

t8thgr8 said:
Maybe the new live discoteque is a hint and sign of the new direction. The edge is insane in that song. Hell the whole band is superb. Trance/Rock :drool:

:drool:

i can't fucking wait for the new U2 record.

POP-ROMANCER said:
I think the new record will sound like love and peace or else, that kind of stuff. Don't know how to call this genre, style. Industrial rock?

I'd call Love And Peace Or Else blues rock, personally.

If they settle on a cohesive, singular direction it has a great chance to be a memorable album..HTDAAB, despite liking it a lot, feels like a compromise in that the band were probably pulling in different directions and so there was a lot of different stuff on there to try and please them all..I mean Vertigo doesn't exactly flow into Miracle Drug.

A good flow for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crumbs From Your Table
Electrical Storm (NOT the William Orbit -- the "b-side" version)
The Hands That Built America
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
A Man And A Woman
One Step Closer
Love And Peace Or Else
All Because Of You
Fast Cars
Miracle Drug
Original Of The Species
Yahweh

Ellay said:
They called AB industrial.

I would only call the intro to Until The End Of The World (the first 20 seconds or so before the UV/LWTSH guitar comes in) industrial.

Have you ever read the Brian Eno 'essay' at the start of the Achtung Baby songbook, on how they went about putting the album together.?

I haven't got it to hand, but it's got all the 'keywords' they used when putting the album together. A nice little read.

bsp77 said:

I guess Zoo Station is industrial, and The Fly is if you really stretch it.

Achtung Baby is industrial! The drum sound on Zoo Station is the best there has ever been. The whole album has a rhythm section that is so dub deep that it gives your speakers stretch marks. The best rhythm of an album you'll ever hear.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Achtung Baby is industrial! The drum sound on Zoo Station is the best there has ever been. The whole album has a rhythm section that is so dub deep that it gives your speakers stretch marks. The best rhythm of an album you'll ever hear.:wink:

Yeah, but I think it is often more Dance Rock and Psychedelic than Industrial, but I do think Industrial was certainly one of the influences on the album, and as I said Zoo Station is industrial. But they went more industrial on Zooropa with Numb, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and, to lesser extent, The Wanderer and Babyface.

i dont know. whatever they do, it will be great. but i'm hoping for a new direction, just a little off from HTDAAB.

they are masters, if they really lock themselves in a studio, do you realize the genius they can produce? They need to stop being perfectionists and just let it go...shit, they made "Fast cars" on the last day in the studio.

RademR said:
i dont know. whatever they do, it will be great. but i'm hoping for a new direction, just a little off from HTDAAB.

they are masters, if they really lock themselves in a studio, do you realize the genius they can produce? They need to stop being perfectionists and just let it go...shit, they made "Fast cars" on the last day in the studio.

Sometimes i think im more of a fan of what theyre capable than of what theyve done.

Back
Top Bottom