The new album's gonna be Fantastic!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keosulli said:
Think about it.
We've heard Mercy already - super.
The last track they did in the studio was Fast Cars - new direction.
The arrangements they've been playing on tour of older tracks have been great (think Miss Sarajevo and Discotheque).
The sheer amount of tracks they've been playing on tour (including Fast Cars) has been brilliant too.
Although the B-Sides have been disappointing thus far for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, there must be a reason for this - i.e. they're holding back tracks that could be finished for a new album (as they always do - Love and Peace has been hanging round for ages, etc).

...therefore...

They seem to be extremely enjoying themselves and the music and messing around with stuff. The set up suits them, and they're playing is as good as ever. So the omens are really good.

You're completely right. Good times are coming...

I think they will either bring on the "rifforama" from the early sessions on the Bomb or that we will get something more ethereal like Mercy and MDH soundtrack sound.

Bono stated his wish for them to do a "sci-fi punk" album...don't bet against them trying that again for this album.

It's not going to be a guitar album, a heavy rock album, or any other phrase than Bono will start pimping in a few years.

It's going to be U2, a couple of rock songs, couple of ballads, a couple of folsky or bluesy tunes, love songs, God songs, something a bit left of center, something more right of center.

Everything from Achtung to HTDAAB and back to War, has more or less followed the formula of a mixture of sounds, because with U2 it seems if they play down in the same arena for too long, it gets stagnant and it falls out of favor with the band .Even Passengers has Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room, even then they couldn't resist the textures of a classic U2 sound.

I miss the "WOWY/AIWIY/Who's gonna ride.../Stay" type of the bitter-sweet love song on the last 3 albums (ok, Ground beneath her feet, but that didn't make it on all ATYCLB versions).
They are great at those IMO.

I too miss those type of songs, like So Cruel and the ones you mentioned. Where the song is a love song, but it feels as if the person in the song has a broken heart and is sort of optimistic that it can be healed. Like the song is almost better than the sum of it's parts?

Not a "silly love song", maybe a love song with a little depth?
I can't articulate it well enough.

They are great at those, but it's Bono really, his lyrics seem to really walk the line perfectly between 'heartfelt' and 'trite' and then really making you feel part of the narration of the song.

That sounds like a load of bullshit, but it really is those moments and those songs that seperate U2 from all the rest of the drivel.

Lately, I feel some of that heartenbroken sadness in Kite, with a touch of optimism, then sort of goes off into the new media verse and I just want to break something. Crossed the line to 'trite'.

I have a friend who totally loved Kite when he heard it....until he came to the the "When Hiphop drove the big cars"-line, then he puked.

U2Man said:
I have a friend who totally loved Kite when he heard it....until he came to the the "When Hiphop drove the big cars"-line, then he puked.

love that line. "Kite" is one of my favorite u2 songs of all time.

I miss the "WOWY/AIWIY/Who's gonna ride.../Stay" type of the bitter-sweet love song on the last 3 albums (ok, Ground beneath her feet, but that didn't make it on all ATYCLB versions).

A Man And A Woman?
Original of the species (if you 'read it' in another sense) could get there too...

I personally luuuuuve the end of Kite. Lyrically it so perfectly closes the song, so bitterly emotional up to that point, it acts much like an epilogue to the song. Musically and lyrically, it's a more mellow, "So this is this" feeling which adds a whole other layer of depth to the song.

U2girl said:
I think they will either bring on the "rifforama" from the early sessions on the Bomb or that we will get something more ethereal like Mercy and MDH soundtrack sound.

:drool: I would LOVE either of those. Especially the second, because the MDH soundtrack was amazing and I always wished U2 had explored that sound a little more.

And I don't get why everyone hates the last verse of Kite...I honestly don't think the lyrics are bad, at all. I enjoy them.

The new sound has to be progressive - U2 will start to lose respect if they produce another ATYCLB session or this "soft mush rock" that people are calling it.

Like Achtung, the mood has to be their U2 need something - an event to trigger their music.

Mercy is amazing though - you can feel the anguish and pain in the song - we need more of that forget the masses and this best band in the world crap - we need more of the early 90's drive that has spawned the reason we are still typing here today!

Love & Peace

"Start to lose respect" ... Where did you get that from? U2 gained a lot of new fans from the last two albums. Especially from ATYCLB. They won't loose any respect if they continue what they are doing now, but rather loose some fans (as we already know), but gain others. I agree that U2 should forget the masses. If they do, they will reach the masses. But I love what they are doing now.

ElectricalVoice said:
"Start to lose respect" ... Where did you get that from? U2 gained a lot of new fans from the last two albums. Especially from ATYCLB. They won't loose any respect if they continue what they are doing now, but rather loose some fans (as we already know), but gain others. I agree that U2 should forget the masses. If they do, they will reach the masses. But I love what they are doing now.

Actually, I think they will lose respect. People have short attention spans. People got tired of preachy, serious, heart-on-his-sleeve Bono and the American roots exploration, hence the backlash on Rattle and Hum. If U2 had continued down that route they probably would have faded into obscurity and become "just another 80's band." Instead they did a 180 and changed their look, dipping themselves in irony and experimenting with their sound. However, by Pop, people were sick of that too, so the band went back and reinvented themselves yet again. ATYCLB was hailed by many critics as their 3rd masterpiece. HTDAAB, on the other hand, got good reviews. Not great, not bad, but good, sometimes mediocre. If U2 continues with this radio-pop back-to-basics approach next album, chances are there will be backlash. If U2 shifts direction now instead of completing the trilogy, they could avoid the backlash. But we'll see. Chances are no matter what U2 does next record I'll love it, and of course they'll gain new fans and lose some other fans. It happens every record.

AtomicBono said:

Actually, I think they will lose respect. People have short attention spans. People got tired of preachy, serious, heart-on-his-sleeve Bono and the American roots exploration, hence the backlash on Rattle and Hum. If U2 had continued down that route they probably would have faded into obscurity and become "just another 80's band." Instead they did a 180 and changed their look, dipping themselves in irony and experimenting with their sound. However, by Pop, people were sick of that too, so the band went back and reinvented themselves yet again. ATYCLB was hailed by many critics as their 3rd masterpiece. HTDAAB, on the other hand, got good reviews. Not great, not bad, but good, sometimes mediocre. If U2 continues with this radio-pop back-to-basics approach next album, chances are there will be backlash. If U2 shifts direction now instead of completing the trilogy, they could avoid the backlash. But we'll see. Chances are no matter what U2 does next record I'll love it, and of course they'll gain new fans and lose some other fans. It happens every record.

Great post! :up:

But Kite's last few verses are terrible!!!

did I waste it, not so much I couldn't taste it
life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement

those rhymes!!! :yuck:

"There are twenty-four songs that came out of the sessions. Eleven of them are on the album.” - Bono

24 - album, Fast cars, Mercy, Smile and Are you gonna wait forever = 9 songs left off the Bomb sessions, not counting any leftovers from past albums or any potential ideas off the current tour. (didn't Edge say somewhere he was writing on this tour, but wasn't sure what would make the album?)

U2girl said:
"There are twenty-four songs that came out of the sessions. Eleven of them are on the album.” - Bono

24 - album, Fast cars, Mercy, Smile and Are you gonna wait forever = 9 songs left off the Bomb sessions, not counting any leftovers from past albums or any potential ideas off the current tour. (didn't Edge say somewhere he was writing on this tour, but wasn't sure what would make the album?)

Wasn't Are You Gonna Wait Forever an ATYCLB leftover, not a song from the Bomb sessions?

Ahh, right. Eno and Lanois produced that one even if it was a Bomb B-side. So that's 10 songs left off Bomb sessions.

This is great time for the band to have a lot of new CD material already together. THey are in the performance-mode and can get an easy idea what the audiences are responding to.

I'm ready for what's next..................:happy:

Bono grew his hair out during the promo tour of Bomb, which lead me to think his hair was starting to resemble the Joshua Tree era...

Their next album (should they decide to make one) will be an Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree mix most likely...

Based on what I've read an heard and what I've listened to (Dont Come Knocking) I think that the next one will be bluesey and more acoustic like the Joshua Tree

The day U2 gets too bluesy is the day the band will spontaniously combust. See for yourselves, it almost happened with the Rattle and Hum era.

(Apologies to R&H fans)

Back
Top Bottom