The Mystery Of Mysterious Ways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarvis

Babyface
On the album version it sings "she sees the man inside the child". That is also how they've always done it live.

Then in the Best of 1990-00 version it was a totally different lyrics. I forgot exactly but something like "she doesn't know why".

Now for U218, its back to the original. And I always thought the 1990-00 version was a tweak that they thought would improve the song sort of like their reworking of the Pop songs. So was it an accident perhaps? That for the 1990-00 version, they used the wrong master tape with the wrong lyrics?

Can anyone solve this mystery?

Considering the b-side disc contains Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix), Best of 1990 2000 contains the best U2 song ever.

Earnie Shavers said:
The 1990-00 Best Of should - in it's entirety - just be ignored.

Completely agree.

Pop was not a misstep.

Passengers was not a misstep.

The only misstep U2 ever made was 90-00 Best of. Everything they did with this compilation was pure crap.

The MW changed lyric is just one more reason why.

Something to do how it was sung live, Bono, after a few Zoo TV Shows (or all of them) had that new line in the song...

Works live....but I prefer the Album Version rather than 90-00.

Canadiens1160 said:
Considering the b-side disc contains Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix), Best of 1990 2000 contains the best U2 song ever.

:drool: Agreed! LWTSH is a great song!

theirs, "she loves you, you don't know why" "Shes the wave she turns the tide", and "no questions she knows why" "she sees a man inside the child"

If my memory serves me correctly, the version on the "Best of" compilation was the version that played on the radio... But, of course, that was over 10 years ago, so I can't say that this is fact.

Isn't the radio edit of "New Year's Day" on the other "Best of..." compilation? Or is it the album version?

becca_lyn said:
If my memory serves me correctly, the version on the "Best of" compilation was the version that played on the radio... But, of course, that was over 10 years ago, so I can't say that this is fact.

Isn't the radio edit of "New Year's Day" on the other "Best of..." compilation? Or is it the album version?

The version that appeared on the Best Of was made for the Best Of and never recieved radio airplay prior to it being released. The version that was always played the radio was the Achtung Baby album version.

Zoocoustic said:

Completely agree.

Pop was not a misstep.

Passengers was not a misstep.

The only misstep U2 ever made was 90-00 Best of. Everything they did with this compilation was pure crap.

The MW changed lyric is just one more reason why.

:up:

david said:

The version that appeared on the Best Of was made for the Best Of and never recieved radio airplay prior to it being released. The version that was always played the radio was the Achtung Baby album version.

I could have sworn I heard the other version on the radio. Guess I'm older than I think, huh?

Canadiens1160 said:

one of the great reasons for me buying that compilation was discovering that song. just killer.

Wow, I never noticed the different lyrics. I suppose that's because I never really listened to that Best-Of.

Album version definitely sounds better to me.

hmm...I must admit that when I bought the Best of 90-00 a couple of years ago, it catapulted my curiosity and led me to buy the Pop album, which is one of my favorites now. I don't think 90-00 was a total mistake at all.

I actually adore the newer version of Gone, which includes Edge's vocal's. (DOWWWWN):drool:

BEVERLY56 said:
I have only heard the New Years Day version with the extra lyrics once, I think. It shocked me when I heard it. What?????? A BONUS!

Yeah that version is what's on War.
So I'm assuming you don't own War, in which case....buy it now! Awesome album!

Yeah the Best Of version is crap compared te album one, no idea why they changed that line. However i do love the new version of Gone, i prefer it to the original.

Back
Top Bottom