the movie Ray and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teebee

The Fly
It occurred to me last night, while watching Ray (an excellent movie by the way) that Ray Charles got a lot of credit for mixing R&B and gospel - in essence singing secular lyrics over traditional gospel music, at least in the early stage of his career.

You could say that U2 has probably been the first band to sing religiously-leaning lyrics over secular music. What is an additional stroke of genius is that most of U2's lyrics can be interpreted to be talking about God, or maybe just your significant other.

Sort of an interesting juxtaposition, I think.

God Only Knows- The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds, 1966.

But I do know what you mean, there has never been as spiritually-minded band that has been this successful for this long. If you are interested in such things, there is a website called rockrebel.com that posts articles about all sorts of artists who have spiritual (mainly Christian) elements to their music.

There also is apparently a new magazine called Risen that is all about giving artists a chance to share their views on the world. This month the cover was devoted to Mr. Billy Corgan. Has anyone ever read this magazine?

Somehow U2 has become a Christian rock band w/o being labeled a Christian rock band.

I wonder how many people getting into U2 because of the predominance of Vertigo on Modern Rock radio realize that the song is all about the power of God in these turbulent times?

bsp77 said:
Somehow U2 has become a Christian rock band w/o being labeled a Christian rock band.

I wonder how many people getting into U2 because of the predominance of Vertigo on Modern Rock radio realize that the song is all about the power of God in these turbulent times?

That's the first thing I thought when I heard it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom