The most powerful version of Streets ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
I was wondering in what fan opinions is the most powerful version, or live version of Where the Streets Have No Name do people out there believe to be? And if so if anyone could send them to me I'd be in love with them forever

codeofahero@yahoo.com

Hmmm interesting question...

Right on Axver the intro to 31st December is excellent.

Altough I find as a whole most Streets are powerful to a smilar extent... the only part that really differs is the intro... we each have our favourite versions of that some RTSS->Streets, some Bad->Streets some Please->Streets, some Streets on the JT Tour.

I personally love the AIWIY->Streets and the New Years Countdown->Streets.

But the body of the song is a much of a muchness...

18 July 1997, Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam, the Netherlands. You can find it on the Popheart EP. Best version ever.

Period.

timothius said:
Right on Axver the intro to 31st December is excellent.
Did you mean the 30th (which Axver said) or the 31st (which you said)? The former had the Jack Kerouac bit (which kicked ass), the latter had "Auld Lang Syne" (which kicked ass).

And the PopHeart version is my favorite (although part of it has to do with the incredible mix on the single). After that, I'd say one of the ZooTV versions, then the December 30th, 1989 performance.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
And the PopHeart version is my favorite (although part of it has to do with the incredible mix on the single). After that, I'd say one of the ZooTV versions, then the December 30th, 1989 performance.

Well, the mix doesn't make that much difference. I have a bootleg of that concert (plus I was there! :hyper: ) and there really are no overdubs, etc. Only a little bit of sound tweaking, but that's it.

typhoon said:

Did you mean the 30th (which Axver said) or the 31st (which you said)? The former had the Jack Kerouac bit (which kicked ass), the latter had "Auld Lang Syne" (which kicked ass).

I mean The Auld Lang Syne version... I must seen 3X of December 1989 and automatically assumed the 31st. I'm really not a huge fan of the 30th show, i think 31st kills it in every way.

Popheart is brilliant as well.

timothius said:

I mean The Auld Lang Syne version... I must seen 3X of December 1989 and automatically assumed the 31st. I'm really not a huge fan of the 30th show, i think 31st kills it in every way.

Really? Most people seem to think the 30th was better. I personally prefer it because of the performances of 11 O'clock Tick Tock and She's A Mystery To Me, and the sensational Streets and With Or Without You.

Though my pick of the four Point Depot shows is the 26th. God Part II opening, an incredible Streets, and the best live performance of any song by any band ever, One Tree Hill ... :drool:

Popmartijn said:
Well, the mix doesn't make that much difference. I have a bootleg of that concert (plus I was there! :hyper: ) and there really are no overdubs, etc. Only a little bit of sound tweaking, but that's it.
Yeah, I have an audience boot of the show, and it sounds exactly the same except, of course, muddier and not nearly as inspiring.

If that were the only recording I'd ever heard of it, I probably wouldn't be particularly impressed with it, even if it was the same performance. So I'm glad they put out the PopHeart EP.

The visual effects on Streets during Popmart, plus the way the song tempo is sped up and the extra bit at the ending, was always my favorite. Then there will be no time, time, no time, then there will be no...time...with all the colors turning into a dove on the screen. Amazing.

Then came Slane Castle, when Bono just wails at the beginning, to keep from crying IMO. Edge has no such luck, as the camera pans to him as his eyes well up. At the end, as the Edge fades his guitar away, Bono looks over at him, and Edge has his eyes shut as he plays out the song. That version always gets me, now, so, for sheer energy...POPMART, but for raw emotion...Slane.

I believe the Zoo TV version of Streets is the song at its peak. Having heard several bootlegs from the JT/Lovetown era, I think Bono's voice sounds far too harsh and raw when he sings the song. It sounds like he's screaming the lyrics.

During the Zoo TV tour, however, his voice is far more restrained and controlled. He is no longer screaming the song, but singing it. The song is much more epic in the context of the Zoo TV presentation, with the nostalgic Joshua Tree footage playing in the background, and Bono waving to his younger self. It's poignant. It's almost as if older, more ironic and jaded Bono is saying to his younger, more naive self, 'I haven't forgotten you!' It moves me every time.

-Miggy

While I think the Zoo TV performance is the best in general, for a single performance I have to go with the 31st show at the Point Depot. Including Auld Lang Syne is just brilliant. I love the energy of that show.

Axver said:

Really? Most people seem to think the 30th was better. I personally prefer it because of the performances of 11 O'clock Tick Tock and She's A Mystery To Me, and the sensational Streets and With Or Without You.

Though my pick of the four Point Depot shows is the 26th. God Part II opening, an incredible Streets, and the best live performance of any song by any band ever, One Tree Hill ... :drool:

I never even considered 30th to be in the same league...that totally shocks the mind. But I can kind of see where you might be coming from.

IMO The amazing things on 31st are All Along The Watchtower, When Love Comes To Down, Streets, I Still Haven't Found & the almighty Running To Stand Still.

Must tie it back to the topic somehow...:shifty:

Streets! Streets! Streets!:eyebrow:

Palace_Hero said:
The Pet Shop Boys version for me, I'll dig it up for you when I can.

Moving.

HAHAHA! That's great. My housemate had never heard the PSB version (lucky her) and when I [played it to her the other day, the look on her face..!!!!

Streets never fails to knock me sideways. :rockon:

September 1 2001, The cathartic segue of all i want is you into streets beats the crap out of any of other performance.

:shocked:

ZOO TV's version is great, especially with the "helicopter" beginning intro after "Running to Stand Still" and the synthesizer kicks in, and the extended intro with Edge playing a few notes, a few chimes before he begins his dream ringing notes...

Dec 19 1987: Sun devil stadium Arizona (on R&H dvd)

:drool::drool::drool:

Joshua Tree/Lovetown versions of this song are SURELY the best!

ZooTv is amazing also but guitar intro and build up is too short.

Popmart & Elevation are mindblowing but Bono's voice is a pale imitation of the power it used to have....

Aardvark747 said:
Well, I dont know exactly why - but I love the performence from the Boston gig in 2001....:shrug:

boston & slane are amazing.. i think the lead up to boston's is better.. the prayer before streets really makes it so much more emotional.. although all i want is you -> streets was also amazing, but mainly becuase that version of aiwiy was amazing

I have a question. I have a live version of Streets when Bono says in the intro something like this:

"This one was to me like a stream.
Skirt hurt from a word colide above.
The whole body of a man did seem like one good iron man in a dream.
Some bagget claimed to mother roads,
some bagget claimed to mother lands,
of another home, of another home.
Of the streets of no name.

TAKE ME!!"

Tha one is my favourite and always will be, Larry drums like it's the last night on earth. PLEASE HELP

Pero said:
I have a question. I have a live version of Streets when Bono says in the intro something like this:

"This one was to me like a stream.
Skirt hurt from a word colide above.
The whole body of a man did seem like one good iron man in a dream.
Some bagget claimed to mother roads,
some bagget claimed to mother lands,
of another home, of another home.
Of the streets of no name.

TAKE ME!!"

Tha one is my favourite and always will be, Larry drums like it's the last night on earth. PLEASE HELP

That sounds like a pretty near version could you send that along?

Back
Top Bottom