The most overrated U2 song is... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:50 AM
The most overrated U2 song is...

Now that we know there really is no ONE true all time U2 underrated song (results of underrated thread posted on it now), what do you think is the most overrated? This is not to be a thread where you can tear to shreads your least favorite single, but what song do you think got more credit than it deserved??

My vote goes to:

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU

I like the song, but don't see what is so special about it. It was this massive hit in the US and I don't really appriciate as much as most people.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:50 AM
One.

Painfully over-rated.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Pride or SBS.

I like Pride - I just think it's overrated. A good live version can still kick ass, to be fair.

I never liked SBS much to be honest. Musically it's pretty lame IMO. In terms of a song about 'the Troubles' Please is better, in my view.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Pride. When I'm channel surfing the radio, and I hear that song, I actually keep right on surfing.

Also -- and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I love the song -- Mercy. It's wonderful, but it's not the be-all-end-all of rock music, like some people here make it out to be.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by miss becky
Also -- and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I love the song -- Mercy. It's wonderful, but it's not the be-all-end-all of rock music, like some people here make it out to be.
Good point about Mercy, I agree with you on that.

Pride
Old 02-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I would say I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. For some reason I always skip over it when I'm listening to a concert. Something about it just grates on my nerves and I can't put my finger on what it is.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2granny
I would say I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. For some reason I always skip over it when I'm listening to a concert. Something about it just grates on my nerves and I can't put my finger on what it is.
I agree with I still haven't found, i do like the song, i don't skip over it every time, but i will occasionally. I just don't see what's so great about it
Old 02-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

By the general public: Pride.

By U2 fans: Heartland.

Both good songs but not worth the buckets of drool they get. Still Haven't Found is overrated too. It's a great song but probably in the weaker half of JT.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2granny
I agree, to a point. I think it's a nice enough song, but one of the bottom two off JT, and I feel that if I've heard it live once, I've heard it a thousand times. It's never really evolved and it bores me on bootlegs.

I do think it's an essential part of the Holy Trinity, though. Put it together with Streets and WOWY and it contributes to a great overall effect even if it's not so good when taken in isolation.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
Refugee

I also skip over I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for, but I like it at the same time
Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
The Fly

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for is a good song, but I think being a slower song AFTER the Epic Streets, but before the (in my opinion) amazing "With Or Without You". I wouldn't call it overrated, because I don't hear too much people talking about its greatness.

I think the album Zooropa is quite a bit overrated. I bought it recently and besides Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, and Stay, (which are all REALLY good) I don't like it. I find many of the songs just repeat the same drum beat, and bono singing in a low voice.

Holy crap! Looking at the Tracklisting to make sure I haven't missed anything, i found out I havent even listened to the Wanderer yet! AHHH!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Sting
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for is a good song, but I think being a slower song AFTER the Epic Streets, but before the (in my opinion) amazing "With Or Without You". I wouldn't call it overrated, because I don't hear too much people talking about its greatness.

I think the album Zooropa is quite a bit overrated. I bought it recently and besides Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, and Stay, (which are all REALLY good) I don't like it. I find many of the songs just repeat the same drum beat, and bono singing in a low voice.

Holy crap! Looking at the Tracklisting to make sure I haven't missed anything, i found out I havent even listened to the Wanderer yet! AHHH!
I AGREE! For a long time I have been tempted to post a Zooropa bashing thread, but decided that wouldn't be good for my health...
Old 02-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:50 PM
I'd have to go with Pride..

I think it's the only U2 song that's played in the hallways at my school so it's a bit more overplayed for me.
As much as it's overrated I still love it.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

HEARTLAND

For a long time, I had never really given it a good listen, so when I heard a lot of people here praising the song, I decided to lend my ears to it.

I HATED it. That's my own opinion, but I REALLY do not see why many people adore this song. The lyrics are nothing special, and Bono's voice in that song is downright annoying.

Probably the only U2 song that I dont like.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:50 PM
This is shit. You guys are slagging some of the greatest songs ever writen. What the fuck do you know
Old 02-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
Refugee

Such anger!! These are just people's opinions. If you think a song is overrated that doesn't mean that you don't like it. I love every song that has been mentioned here, but I still think some songs are overrated.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

the general people who know of U2? it would be Sunday Bloody Sunday. It's a really amazing song, but it's the only one anybody ever knows, like it's U2's best, when it's not.

On this forum? Any song off Pop. FACT
More specifically? Mofo
Old 02-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Mofo
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: Looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world
Local Time: 01:50 PM
With or Without You
Old 02-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #20
War Child

OPINION DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT GOD. THESE ARE MY OPINIONS.

By the general public? One.

By U2 fans? The Unforgettable Fire. Yeah, flame me. It's got good lyrics, but lyrics never saved a song from being mediocre. The "atmosphere" it has feels very dated and 80s, as opposed to the rest of the album, which is gorgeous and IMO spoiled by the title track.

Also, Until the End of the World. IAgain, flame me. It's a good, perhaps great, song, but not the epitome of perfection, and isn't all that interesting to me (IMO it suffers from an uninteresting and poorly delivered chorus on the album, as I feel EBTTRT does). Live, Bono screaming "IS THIS ROCK AND ROLL?! IS THIS ROCK AND ROLL?!" at the end does make up for its overratedness, though.