The most overrated U2 song is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjboog

Refugee
Now that we know there really is no ONE true all time U2 underrated song (results of underrated thread posted on it now), what do you think is the most overrated? This is not to be a thread where you can tear to shreads your least favorite single, but what song do you think got more credit than it deserved??

My vote goes to:

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU

I like the song, but don't see what is so special about it. It was this massive hit in the US and I don't really appriciate as much as most people.

Pride or SBS.

I like Pride - I just think it's overrated. A good live version can still kick ass, to be fair.

I never liked SBS much to be honest. Musically it's pretty lame IMO. In terms of a song about 'the Troubles' Please is better, in my view.

Pride. When I'm channel surfing the radio, and I hear that song, I actually keep right on surfing.

Also -- and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I love the song -- Mercy. It's wonderful, but it's not the be-all-end-all of rock music, like some people here make it out to be.

miss becky said:
Also -- and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I love the song -- Mercy. It's wonderful, but it's not the be-all-end-all of rock music, like some people here make it out to be.

Good point about Mercy, I agree with you on that.

:sad: Pride :sad:

I would say I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. For some reason I always skip over it when I'm listening to a concert. Something about it just grates on my nerves and I can't put my finger on what it is.

u2granny said:
I would say I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. For some reason I always skip over it when I'm listening to a concert. Something about it just grates on my nerves and I can't put my finger on what it is.

I agree with I still haven't found, i do like the song, i don't skip over it every time, but i will occasionally. I just don't see what's so great about it

By the general public: Pride.

By U2 fans: Heartland.

Both good songs but not worth the buckets of drool they get. Still Haven't Found is overrated too. It's a great song but probably in the weaker half of JT.

u2granny said:

I agree, to a point. I think it's a nice enough song, but one of the bottom two off JT, and I feel that if I've heard it live once, I've heard it a thousand times. It's never really evolved and it bores me on bootlegs.

I do think it's an essential part of the Holy Trinity, though. Put it together with Streets and WOWY and it contributes to a great overall effect even if it's not so good when taken in isolation.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for is a good song, but I think being a slower song AFTER the Epic Streets, but before the (in my opinion) amazing "With Or Without You". I wouldn't call it overrated, because I don't hear too much people talking about its greatness.

I think the album Zooropa is quite a bit overrated. I bought it recently and besides Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, and Stay, (which are all REALLY good) I don't like it. I find many of the songs just repeat the same drum beat, and bono singing in a low voice.

Holy crap! Looking at the Tracklisting to make sure I haven't missed anything, i found out I havent even listened to the Wanderer yet! AHHH!:sad:

Sting said:
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for is a good song, but I think being a slower song AFTER the Epic Streets, but before the (in my opinion) amazing "With Or Without You". I wouldn't call it overrated, because I don't hear too much people talking about its greatness.

I think the album Zooropa is quite a bit overrated. I bought it recently and besides Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, and Stay, (which are all REALLY good) I don't like it. I find many of the songs just repeat the same drum beat, and bono singing in a low voice.

Holy crap! Looking at the Tracklisting to make sure I haven't missed anything, i found out I havent even listened to the Wanderer yet! AHHH!:sad:

I AGREE! For a long time I have been tempted to post a Zooropa bashing thread, but decided that wouldn't be good for my health...:yikes:

I'd have to go with Pride..

I think it's the only U2 song that's played in the hallways at my school so it's a bit more overplayed for me.
As much as it's overrated I still love it.

HEARTLAND

For a long time, I had never really given it a good listen, so when I heard a lot of people here praising the song, I decided to lend my ears to it.

I HATED it. That's my own opinion, but I REALLY do not see why many people adore this song. The lyrics are nothing special, and Bono's voice in that song is downright annoying.

Probably the only U2 song that I dont like.

Such anger!! These are just people's opinions. If you think a song is overrated that doesn't mean that you don't like it. I love every song that has been mentioned here, but I still think some songs are overrated.

Last edited:
the general people who know of U2? it would be Sunday Bloody Sunday. It's a really amazing song, but it's the only one anybody ever knows, like it's U2's best, when it's not.

On this forum? Any song off Pop. FACT
More specifically? Mofo

OPINION DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT GOD. THESE ARE MY OPINIONS.

By the general public? One.

By U2 fans? The Unforgettable Fire. Yeah, flame me. It's got good lyrics, but lyrics never saved a song from being mediocre. The "atmosphere" it has feels very dated and 80s, as opposed to the rest of the album, which is gorgeous and IMO spoiled by the title track.

Also, Until the End of the World. IAgain, flame me. It's a good, perhaps great, song, but not the epitome of perfection, and isn't all that interesting to me (IMO it suffers from an uninteresting and poorly delivered chorus on the album, as I feel EBTTRT does). Live, Bono screaming "IS THIS ROCK AND ROLL?! IS THIS ROCK AND ROLL?!" at the end does make up for its overratedness, though.

:reject:

U2Girl1978 said:
I think Acrobat is way over rated. It's a good song but I don't get what is so great about it.

Possibly the mystique of it not being played in concert. All we have is that rehearsal.

I can never quite participate in these discussions because at one time or another when I'm riding down the street and hear Pride on the radio, I think over-played - not "overrated" and wish it were Acrobat, etc..
Then suddenly I hear it in on the grocery store sound track and think it's the best song ever written..
I recently walked out to my car after getting off work and was singing WOWY for some reason. I put in the ear plugs and it was playing.
I turned it up loud captian :rockon: and It felt so good just to hear it at that moment. Plus to confirm that I have esp ..
When I heard Seconds on the way to work one morning I nearly pulled off the road. That was rare, for radio.
In conclusion, I'm no help in any determination of over/under rated songs.
Quit asking me..:madspit: :wink:

u2granny said:

Possibly the mystique of it not being played in concert. All we have is that rehearsal.

I don't really understand why that would positively influence anyone towards Acrobat. Personally speaking, I love the song because everything about it is exceptional. In fact, I may just like it MORE if it had been done live. I didn't pay too much attention to songs like Bullet or UTEOTW until I heard their incredible live versions.

CITY OF WHINING! LIGHTS!!

It's terribly overrated, mostly by U2 fans who, on many occasion resemble it to WTSHNN. Let me tell you: It's not even close to this gem!

The only part in this song I really like is the part Edge and Bono sing together: ..."and I miss you when your not around".

The rest is nothing special.
Especially the thin intro with the slow predictable piano and Edge's most whining slide-guitar riff ever!!!:yawn:

I agree: live it's a little better though...

Sunday Bloody Sunday. Soooo overated. I was talking to some U2 non-fans the other day and they were saying "SBS is great but their other stuff sucks". I said how SBS is way overated and they just couldn't understand.

Pride too. Very overated.

Back
Top Bottom