The Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
We all have it.....and we all don't really listen to it much....I like Bono's songs and the brand new U2 ones are great.....the instrumentals help set the mood.....the closing punk cover and the endless repeats of "Satelite of Love" are what really get to me though....they should have only had one version of the song, rather than two and an instrumental version.

I have an insane theory that "The First Time" was placed on The Best of 1990-2000 simply because the band wanted a track from this soundtrack....I mean, they had it listed (along with Passengers) as an album on their official website AND Bono/Edge's comments about them listening to the song again and falling in love with it while making The Best Of must be crap since Bono at least had heard it only a couple years earlier a great deal if he was going to include it on the soundtrack...

Enough of the rambling though, what do you all think of The Other Semi U2 Album?

Last edited:
I actually listen to this fairly often. I even like some of the moody jazzy bits, but you're right, they really overdo the Satellite of Love, and Mila's rendition of it gives me an instant migraine. It's literally painful. (If you look at my location, you might be able to guess that Never Let Me Go is one of my favourite songs.)

The two U2 songs are great, particularly "The Ground Beneath Her Feet."

"Never Let Me Go" is pleasant but not spectacular. "Falling At Your Feet" is one of my favorite U2 (well, half of U2 plus the producer) songs.

The rest sucks.

Yeah, it's not a good album, but it's a soundtrack. At least it has the songs that are in the movie unlike a lot of soundtracks that have different versions or songs you hear for maybe 2 seconds in the movie. I think the entire soundtrack fits the movie perfectly. I rarely listen to it though b/c I'd rather listen to an album. The Ground Beneath Her Feet is one of my favorite songs ever.

I really don't know why, but I actually like Milla's rendition of Satellite Of Love. Her vocals are super-caustic and overdramatic, but I still like it.

Stateless is one of my alltime favorite U2 tracks now. And I love The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Never Let Me Go.

It's a great soundtrack that fits movie really well. I like Satellite, but I wish Milla actually sang, because she has a good voice.

greenlight7-11 said:

Stateless is one of my alltime favorite U2 tracks now. And I love The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Never Let Me Go.

The same for me, and I add that listening to Falling At Your Feet is a joy ride for me, and Dancing Shoes is so disturbing that I can't live too much without listening to it.

The remix of Satellite is quite good.

MDH is one of the best U2 songs ever. The first time I ever heard it I had it cranked and when Bono sing's "only looooveee...." and Edge cranks it, my entire body was covered in goosebumps.
No other U2 song has ever done the same to me.

Stateless and Falling are also exceptional.

Stateless really grows on you...I love the line about "push your weight down on me"........feeling a heavy burden...I can relate to that.
Falling at your feet is a great lullaby........a favorite.

wow, lots of mixed reactions over this one. I actually LOVE this soundtrack. I listen to it quite a bit. The mix of jazz and bono and smooth melodies on this album always leaves me floating.

Milla's Satellite of Love is great! At first, her voice is a little shocking, but it's so raw and emotional that i belt out the lyrics with her.

The only "irk" i have is the last track...seems a little out of place, but nonetheless, great soundtrack to a rather boring movie.

MDH like the Passengers album is different music for U2. A lot of U2 fans likely do not listen to either because of that and because there are numerous instrumentals on both. In this thread people are expressing appreciation for Ground Beneath / Stateless / Falling At Your Feet / and Never Let Me Go. The same would probably go for Your Blue Room and Slug. Could burn a 6 song CD-R or make a whole album of similar material.

U2: You Two After Midnight At The Cocktail Bar At The Million Dollar Hotel

?Nobody one else here baby. It?s just you and me and the rain.?

1. Slug - 4:41
2. Tomorrow ? Bono & Adam ? 4:36
3. Stateless - 4:05
4. Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long) ? Edge on vocals! - 3:35
5. Your Blue Room - 5:28
6. Two Shots Of Happy? - Bono & The Edge ? 4:12
7. That?s Life ? Bono ? 3:55
8. Promenade - 2:35
9. Walk To The Water - 4:49
10. Hallelujah - Bono ? 4:57
11. Satellite of Love (Danny Saber Version) ? Bono & Larry & Mila - 5:14
12. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Bono ? Jools Holland Version) ? 6:22
13. The Ground Beneath Her Feet - 3:45
14. When The Stars Go Blue ? 4:19
15. Slow Dancing - Bono & The Edge (Stay single version) ? 3:20
16. Falling at Your Feet - Bono & Larry & Lanois - 4:54
17. Never Let Me Go (edit out the first 30 sec. of dialogue) - 5:06?

Approx. Time ? 77:07

Notes: We know that MDH became / is a dive for ex-psychiatric patients. But let?s imagine it as it once was ? apparently an exclusive hotel in downtown L.A.. Two estranged lovers (or two people going through separate break-ups) begin the night at separate tables across the room from each other. As the night wears on and as the lounge slowly empties they move closer to each other. Sitting at the same table. Talking and then dancing together. By the end of the night they reunite (or unite) and they leave together.

Or a 2 CD version

1. Slug - 4:41
2. Tomorrow ? Bono & Adam ? 4:36
3. Stateless - 4:05
4. Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long) ? Edge on vocals! - 3:35
5. Your Blue Room - 5:28
6. Love Is Blindness ? Cassandra Wilson ? 4:53
7. Save The Children ? Bono ? 4:27
8. Stay ? Bono (Craig Armstrong version) ? 6:02
9. Conversation On A Barstool ? Written: Bono & Edge - Annie Ross - 5:46
10. Two Shots Of Happy? - Bono & The Edge ? 4:12
11. That?s Life ? Bono ? 3:55

1. Promenade - 2:35
2. Walk To The Water - 4:49
3. Hallelujah - Bono ? 4:57
4. Satellite of Love (Danny Saber Version) ? Bono & Larry & Milla - 5:14
5. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Bono ? Jools Holland Version) ? 6:22
6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet - 3:45
7. When The Stars Go Blue ? Bono & The Corrs - 4:19
8. Slow Dancing - Bono & The Edge (Stay single version) ? 3:20
9. Grace - 5:45
10. Falling at Your Feet - Bono & Larry & Lanois - 4:54
11. Never Let Me Go (edit out the first 30 sec. of dialogue) - 5:06?

I'm very fond of MDH. Especially, THGBHF, the lush album version, not the acoustic one. I also love Never Let Me Go, and Stateless, and the general moody atmosphere of the whole album.

Back
Top Bottom