the mars volta & stranger in a strange land

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
anyone heard of the mars volta. (new band with the fromer lead singer and guitarist from at the drive-in) they just released an their first ep and its great. one of the songs on the album, eunuch provacateur has a part that sounds very much like the vocals form stranger in a strange land. it took a couple listens before i could figure why it sounded so familiar. anyway if you liked at the drive-in it sounds fairly similar, and according to their bio, U2 is an influence. i think just because fo their live show and energy at the drive-in reminded me of a young U2, although the style is very different.

jp

funny i just downloaded these songs last night.. didn't notice any of stranger and a strange land but i will give it another listen

Picked up the 3 song EP a couple weeks ago and didn't notice the "Stranger" connection either. Will give a listen. btw, saw Sparta play in Philly back in April. Sparta features at the drive-in guitarist Jim Ward. They also just put out an EP, but the live set was tons better than the recording.

If you want to hear an awesome song with a very clear connection to early 80s U2, download "Wake Up" by The Walkmen.

ive heard sparta, thers about 10 songs including that ep floating around right now. the ones that didnt make the ep are much better, from what ive heard they are saving those for the first full album supposedly out later this year. sparta also inlcudes tony (drums) and paul (bass) from at the drive in. i was sorry to see atdi break-up but in the long run i think it will be better, b/c there are two really good bands instead of one now.

as for the stranger in a strange land reference- its omar's vocals, in parts at especially towards the beginning there is one that almost sounds like a sample from stranger in a strange land.

jp

Back
Top Bottom