The Lovetown appreciation thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
We've had the Heartland and Zoochtung appreciation threads, but now it is time to appreciate what is indisputably the greatest U2 era of all time, the holy grail of U2 tours, the ultimate of everything U2, the high, mighty, and holy LOVETOWN TOUR!

(How's that for propaganda? Are the vast majority of you puking already?)

Where to begin? There's just so much brilliance in this era. Bono's voice was at its most powerful, Edge was going nuts on guitar (listen to Desire from 27 September 1989 and you'll know what I mean), and the entire band were in incredible form, playing wonderful music and delightfully varied sets - the most varied sets U2 has ever played.

So let's get that appreciation and excessive worship started!

Well, I thought there was one, but I just did a search and didn't find anything ... :confused:

Guess someone better make one!

And I :heart: Lovetown!

KhanadaRhodes said:
maybe we should make an appreciation thread forum then :wink:

How about a forum devoted to Lovetown worship? :wink:

timothius said:

Is this not what we do in appreciation threads or should I elaborate more? :eyebrow:

Well, some people come to bash!

Elaboration is cool.

Axver said:
Elaboration is cool.

Lovetown was reasonably cool.

Basically it proved U2's complete and utter mastery of they're 80's catalogue. It had one of the freshest sets of new material to work with, and had an everchanging set list.

The most intriguing thing about Lovetown is that it managed to escape the percived stigma that surrouned Rattle & Hum and Bono's preachiness - and still be an extremely successful tour. Conversly PopMart couldn't escape the stigma for that record in many peoples minds.

While Lovetown is not the most successful tour for U2, nor my favourite, muscially they are at or close to there peak live - there can be absolutely no debate about that. But that doesnt make it the best in my mind, but I won't go into that, nor say the Z word in this thread, coz its appreciation time.

I will just add that if I had to choose 1 concert to have been present at of all the shows that U2 has put on, it would be a Lovetown performance, 31-12-89.

Lovetown also hit my hometown...so that gives it extra brownie points.

I appreciate Lovetown.

Lovetown has the coolest name of any tour ever.

Is it a town? Full of love?

Is it an abstract idea that sounds nice and cheerful?

It's good.

lovetown: the tour where u2 realized that, after the failled attempt to become a blues band, they had to go and "dream all over again".

Thank god they did it and came back with Achtung Baby!

timothius said:
Basically it proved U2's complete and utter mastery of they're 80's catalogue. It had one of the freshest sets of new material to work with, and had an everchanging set list.

Agreed! That tour had some of the absolute best performances of songs from every era. My favourite performances of songs as diverse as Gloria and Streets come from Lovetown. And heck, they mastered everything from the rock of Desire --> All Along The Watchtower to the blues of When Love Comes To Town.

While Lovetown is not the most successful tour for U2, nor my favourite, muscially they are at or close to there peak live - there can be absolutely no debate about that.

Bono's vocals - when he wasn't sick - on Lovetown were beyond compare. Not only was his voice rich and passionate, he was absolutely soaring. And I can't praise Edge enough! Shredding on Desire ... :drool:

I will just add that if I had to choose 1 concert to have been present at of all the shows that U2 has put on, it would be a Lovetown performance, 31-12-89.

Five days earlier for me.

Lovetown also hit my hometown...so that gives it extra brownie points.

'Twas the second and last time U2 were in my hometown of Wellington, and the only time they played the legendary Athletic Park.

Axver said:

We rock. :rockon:

Now, which Lovetown show is your favourite?

First Adelaide show, October something I can't remember everything! ;)

Bono had lost his voice and this was his comeback show. He was HYPER! He ran around, he slipped over, he pulled a bloke we had met in the line up overnight up on stage to play guitar (well, actually he jumped the rail and made for the stage but same thing, right? :wink: )

Oh yeah, I was there. :lol:

2nd favourite: Second Adelaide show. (I was there for that one too)

jrjunior31 said:
the catalog of songs from rattle and Joshua is beyond imagination...

they need to embark on a Lovetown 2 Tour...

Let me give that one big

AMEN!

Back
Top Bottom