The likely setlist for N. Orleans U2/Green Day live show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
According to u2place.com, the plan is as follows: Green Day will open the show with Wake me up when September ends, U2 will then join them for Saints are coming and U2 will finish with Beautiful Day.

oh my god how lameeez why wont they play dirty day and duet with holographic ghost of frank sinatra on zooropa and then play eletric co twice and then pass the torch to green dayz who then will pass the torch to sum 41 who will duet with U2 on everybody hurtz?!!? SELL OUTS!

In all seriousness I think people only care about hearing the new song anyway. So it doesn't matter what else they play.

david said:

In all seriousness I think people only care about hearing the new song anyway. So it doesn't matter what else they play.

yeah thats true , be nice if u2 broke away from the shackles once in a while though

Headache in a Suitcase said:
still think they should go with walk on

Walk on would actually be really appropriate. Plus its a bit different (beautiful day/one being the obvious choices).

yeah BD with all the flood/Noah references would be ideal, despite it being played at every other similar event.

Screwtape2 said:
Anyone think that the line:

"After the flood, all the colors came out."

Might raise a few eyebrows? :ohmy:

Maybe the colors came out means the american peoples generosity ? or then again maybe it means something else that we wont mention...

Actually that might be quite controversial

Screwtape2 said:

Well, it's probably one of the main reasons they picked the song.

Screwtape2 said:

arrested_franklin_bush_shirt.jpg

Beautiful Day will be good. It'll be interesting to hear how Bono changes the lyrics. I'm pretty sure he will. I think some of you are reading WAY too much into the lyrics "After the flood all the colors came out" I mean it's a lyric of hope. If the "colors" didn't come out after the flood there'd just be destruction and decay. having the "Colors come out" is a positive lyric. Either way It's for a good cause so it's all good.

Though if you wanna look at it from a "U2 buisness" point of view playing a song that is 6 years old starts to reak of an old band past their prime playing "old" hits. That's how I could see the younger generation looking at it. Especially in comparison to Greenday who are playing a slightly current hit off thier last album.

Last edited:
I think the choice of sings is appropriate for the event and I am glad these bands are chosen to perform. Excellent choice and I am sure the performances will be amazing.

The last time U2 played at the New Orleans Superdome was a 9/11-themed halftime show for the 2002 Super Bowl, and they played "Beautiful Day" that night, too.

It worked well, but I'd prefer a new song this time.

*shrug*

I'd love to see U2 do an electric version of "Yahweh" ... "A city should be shining on a hill / what no man can own / no man can take / take these levee walls / and don't let them break"

Hallucination said:

Though if you wanna look at it from a "U2 buisness" point of view playing a song that is 6 years old starts to reak of an old band past their prime playing "old" hits. That's how I could see the younger generation looking at it. Especially in comparison to Greenday who are playing a slightly current hit off thier last album.

Had they played something off Bomb, they would get roasted for abusing the occasion to play their latest material. :shrug: Can't win.

Ah well. I've just never been all that wild about BD, but I suppose it's no surprise they're playing it. I'd have preferred WTSHNN (but then again I always would prefer WTSHNN hehe). At least it isn't One...

Walk On would have been good...

After Katrina the "after the flood all the colors came out" is very appropriate. Even though this is televised nationally, I think it is more about the people of New Orleans and everything the reopening of the dome represents. Also here in New Orleans, Wake me up when September ends is the "official" Katina song

Both U2 and Green Day played on one of the televised benefits right after Katrina (I believe it was the weekend following the storm.) Green Day opened with "When September Ends" so it's completely appropriate they play that.

To me, Beautiful Day is kind of stretch. Walk On might be more appropriate.

As much as I'd rather not believe this, I think it'll be Beautiful Day, but I would fucking love to see Walk On. Or, as also mentioned earlier, an electric version of Yaweh.

what about this?

Wake me up... (GD)
The Saints are coming (GD & U2)
Beautiful Day (U2)
Walk On (GD & U2)

they CAN pull it off... I know... just Walk On without that parte in the end if the stop/cresscendo... I hate it...

Back
Top Bottom