The Libertines' 2003 song "Vertigo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
What do you all make of the fact that in 2003, the first track off the Libertines' breathtaking first album, "Up the Bracket", was called "Vertigo"?

No doubt Bono was aware of the other "Vertigo"--the Libertines were/are media darlings and have been getting rave reviews, and they're a punk band, and Mick Jones of the Clash is their producer. Was U2 "sampling" the other song title, as a nod of respect? (I know they did that with "Elevation," too, which was an old song by Television, whose guitarist, Tom Verlaine, is one of Edge's heroes.)

Just curious as to what you all make of it.

Someone posted on here that in the NME interview recently Bono mentioned the Libertines as one of the bands he was listening to, but I don't know if that was just very recently or at the time U2's Vertigo was recorded. So I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest.

It may have just been subconscious reference. My friend accidentally "created" the riff to Pearl Jam's "I Am Mine" a week after buying the album. He didn't realize that it was from that song until he listened to it again a few days later. (Did I mention this guy's a feckin' brilliant guitarist?)

LyricalDrug said:
What do you all make of the fact that in 2003, the first track off the Libertines' breathtaking first album, "Up the Bracket", was called "Vertigo"?

Nothing.

U2 are known to borrow song titles such as One and Always, among others. I wouldn't be surprised if their next album had a song called Livin' On A Prayer.

Cheers,

J

my friend is convinced that the riff of vertigo is stolen from a libertines song (or was it another band similar to libertines...)

i told him vertigo had been in the pipeline for years but he now hates the song because it stole that riff:p

he also hates u2 because they are old, although he loves red hot chillis:p

jick said:
U2 are known to borrow song titles such as One and Always, among others. I wouldn't be surprised if their next album had a song called Livin' On A Prayer.

Cheers,

J

You can do better than that Jick.

Back
Top Bottom