The Legacy of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HolyMeximofoJoe

The Fly
I've thought about making this thread for a while now... and have finally done it...hopefully this one go's over better than my last one... with more arguments! :macdevil:

Since about the mid 1980’s until today and probably for more time to come U2 has been the biggest or one of the biggest bands out there. Their legacy as one of the greatest bands ever is undeniable unless you’re a hater.In my opinion there is no way U2 can be the number one band of all time, unless they can pull of 3 or 4 albums that are held in the same light as AB and JT, I believe the numero uno spot will always be held by The Beatles….
However the spot of the number two band of all time I believe is right in front of them, I believe with the next coming album, be it in any way successful, will be what finally gets them over the Rolling Stones in the long run… Now I don’t listen to much Rolling Stones, but I think to the GENERAL public the Big two right now and for quite a while have been The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Now notice I’m saying bands…cause if you were to include Elvis, Dylan, and Sinatra and such it would get too complicated…

That’s my opinion that they will be held as the Number two band of all time by the GENERAL public when they finally retire…so I ask you
1. How do you believe the GENERAL public will remember U2 after they retire?
2. How does the GENERAL public see them RIGHT NOW?
3. What's U2's Legacy to you?
Just thought of another.
4. Is all of Bono’s work in a way hurting U2’s musical legacy...I don’t believe it is, I hope he continues his work… but a little voice in my head says you could make an argument that all his work with AIDS and debt relief and such is taking away from their musical legacy as a whole… Some person from a class of mine when I talked to him about U2 said…” Isn’t that the band with that skinny :confused: guy with huge glasses :scratch: (they aren’t that big) who does cocaine :lmao: and does all that charity work?(it’s justice not charity!:rant:) ?” I kid you not…

And for a bonus
5. Including every piece of music out there from Beethoven to Elvis to heck the Psalms...where's U2's place in that?

Well anyways any thoughts at all would be appreciated…

1. I think the general public will mostly remember the JT album and Zoo TV tour. Possibly ATYCLB comeback too.
2. I think they're slowly entering the "rock legends" status now, they're that age, getting awards maybe as an apology for being overlooked before...
3. A great live band, with some very good albums. I suppose John Lennon's "heir" in the frontman - opinionated and taking on various charitiy causes.
4. No. The 8 or so years he's been doing it doesn't take away from the 25 years of making music.
5. I think I'd put them in the second tier of great bands: behind Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who and Pink Floyd, Clash and Queen. Not quite great but a very good band at its best moments.

I agree that The Beatles will always be number one. They'll be number one forever because no band will ever be as big as they were. They were known everywhere on planet Earth.
With that said, The Stones could be number two because they've been rocking for over 40 years. Granted, there's only three original members left, but The Stones are still putting out good music. Now Zeppelin, The Who and Pink Floyd are all great, but U2 has remained together for over 25 years with the original lineup intact. They're still putting out good music and they're still relevant in today's music scene. Maybe U2 hasn't released several monumental albums like The Beatles, but their music will stand the test of time. It's also up to U2 fans to pass on the legacy of their music and their spirit.

well this sucks... right after i make this thread 2 other threads appear with pretty much the exact same questions i aksed...and they get more responses...:madspit: what am i doing wrong? :sad:

and to mrpryck2u :up: very well put...

I think the Beatles are always going to be considered No. 1 and the Rolling Stones No. 2. I don't know if anyone will ever come anything resembling a consenus when it comes to No. 3. It will probably be either Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Who or U2, depending on who you ask.

Back
Top Bottom