The latest on Spiderman the Musical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Source: Edward Douglas March 16, 2008

Most Americans first heard the name Jim Sturgess when he starred in Julie Taymor's musical movie Across the Universe, based on the songs of John Lennon and Paul McCartney, and when his director was doing interviews for that movie, she had expressed wanting to have Sturgess play Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Evan Rachel Wood as Mary Jane Watson in the new Broadway musical she is doing with Bono and The Edge.

When ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! had a chance to talk to Sturgess in Las Vegas for his new blackjack crime caper 21, we had to ask him if there was any word or developments about the musical and his involvement with it.

"I haven't spoken to Julie about it but we did do a two-week workshop for it over in New York, and it was just a real chance to hang out with Julie again," the British actor told us. "I love Julie, she's like a mentor to me, and Evan's just a great friend, and the three of us are just so bound by the experience we had doing 'Across the Universe.' It was a lot of fun. I was just playing music with Bono and Edge from U2, singing songs about Spider-Man. The project is definitely happening. Julie will definitely make this piece of theater. Whether I'll be in it or not, I have no idea at this point."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6935

This project fills me with dread.
Finish the album and then they can put their attentions on this "thing" if they want to.

Oh God Oh God...

I'm really sorry Bono and Edge...really I am, but...

THIS WHOLE THING SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF CRAP...Spiderman The Musical?

It's never gunna fly...

The only thing that lessens the dread for me is the fact that Julie Taymor will direct it. She's the genius behind the stage version of The Lion King, which was fun and creative and also a huge hit.

thelaj said:
This project fills me with dread.
Finish the album and then they can put their attentions on this "thing" if they want to.

couldnt agree anymore

I think it'll be pretty cool. Across the Universe was very artisitc and visually amazing, so I'm sure Julie Taymor will do a good job. I have no idea how one would go about making something like this, let alone writing songs for it, but I guess that's why I'm not the one putting it together. :tongue:

Are all you U2 fans going to skip the Spiderman musical?

Good, more tickets for me

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size,
Catches thieves just like flies
Look Out!
Here comes the Spiderman.

Is he strong?
Listen bud,
He's got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread
Take a look overhead
Hey, there
There goes the Spiderman.

Oh, I love all the whining before something is even finished.

They've always had side projects, and I think they should decide for themselves which projects they are doing. If they are excited about this, why not? And as far as I've heard, the stuff is already written.

biff said:
The only thing that lessens the dread for me is the fact that Julie Taymor will direct it. She's the genius behind the stage version of The Lion King, which was fun and creative and also a huge hit.

She also directed Across The Universe. :barf: :yikes:

Everyone, don't write this thing off before you've even seen/heard it - it could be good. You're only up in arms because it's a musical, aren't you? I wish more people would give musicals a chance. They can be brilliant when done properly. True, the idea of a Spiderman musical doesn't sound too appealing, but it's an interesting artistic medium nevertheless. To be honest, I'm quite pleased to see that Bono and Edge are willing to attempt something like this. People are always calling for them to break out of their comfort zone...

As long as it doesn't delay the next album, they can write whatever else they want.

LemonMelon said:

She also directed Across The Universe. :barf: :yikes:

True. That's why I mentioned The Lion King.:wink:

Seriously, she's obviously gifted with the creative skills needed to mount a huge stage production.

And yes, earlier reports have said that the music is already finished and the delay now is largely based on difficulties finding the appropriate venue.

Sounds like a lot of horseshit. Spiderman and U2, two of my favourite...things, but combining them?

:no:

(Btw, the last spider-man movie sucked. Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst ughghhghh

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Oh no, please not now. Still hope, the album has priority ...

Priorities, shmiorities!

The last time they worked on a similar congruity of activities, it was at the very least interesting, with Clockwork Orange mingling with Achtung Baby/Zooropa. The demands of live theatre can be really thrilling and challenging. Let's not cack on this too prematurely. They might be having a blast with the whole project. :shrug:

biff said:

They might be having a blast with the whole project. :shrug:

Yes, exactly – but it's a a blast to the new album, what I fear ... And hopefully Bono does not feel inspired to dress as Spiderman for the next tour :wink:

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Yes, exactly – but it's a a blast to the new album, what I fear ... And hopefully Bono does not feel inspired to dress as Spiderman for the next tour :wink:

That would be awesome ...

And I don't think we need to get our panties in a bunch about this. Does it really matter if it's for a spiderman musical? If they're great songs, I'm happy! U2 has done a bunch of songs for movies; it's just like coming out with any other single, etc.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is - it's not like the songs are going to be about spiders or anything (i seriously doubt it at least).

I'm reminded of Spinal Tap, and the intention of some of the group to write their musical about Jack the Ripper ("He's a naughty one, saucy Jack" etc). Far be it for me to criticise this project before anyone has seen or heard any of the material, but I think it's going to be one of these things that's either brilliant or awful. If it's the latter, Bono and Edge could be heading for a disaster similar to Paul Simon's Capeman debacle.

I don't see the difference between this project and writing HMTMKMKM for the Batman Forever movie, except it might include more than one tune.

I'm not into comic books, so a Spiderman musical sounds completely lame to me, I would normally never pay to see something like that.

But, with Bono/Edge music involved, I will check it out.

"The Lion King" movie bored me, but Taymor's stage play was awesome. Expect more of the same with Spidey.

Last edited:
biff said:

The last time they worked on a similar congruity of activities, it was at the very least interesting, with Clockwork Orange mingling with Achtung Baby/Zooropa. The demands of live theatre can be really thrilling and challenging. Let's not cack on this too prematurely. They might be having a blast with the whole project. :shrug:

Yeah, get a grip people. I can't wait to hear the music and noone has even seen/heard it yet.
Preconceived notions are a waste of time.
Otherwise I'll have to bring out the.. :madwife:
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom