the last half of AIWIY is probably the greatest song ending ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
I think the ending of AIWIY is one of Edges most underrated solos, and one of the greatest finishings ever to any song...it gets raw and emotional...and then Edge goes crazy, and then it ends with the orchestra...its absoloutely perfect!!!! :drool:

europop2005 said:
I think the ending of AIWIY is one of Edges most underrated solos, and one of the greatest finishings ever to any song...it gets raw and emotional...and then Edge goes crazy, and then it ends with the orchestra...its absoloutely perfect!!!! :drool:
Completly agreed!:bow:

There is a string figure toward the end (and Edge has been doing on it guitar for the live versions lately) that mirrors the wah-wah slide part from Hawkmoon. Adds a lot of tension to the song.

i think the best ending ever is ground beneath her feet...or maybe mofo

all i want is you is damn good though, makes rattle and hum totally worth it :drool:

AIWIY is one of U2's finest moments in my opinion. When it's performed live it's an absolute knockout as well.

Provides for one of the best transition into Streets to date. :drool:

I suppose someone along the lines has mentioned that "The First Time" is the exact same song as "All I Want Is You." Not sure about the key.

u2fan628 said:
I love this song! However, I do not like the strings at the end.They go on and on and on....

I love everything about this song, ESPECIALLY the strings at the end.

ahittle said:
I suppose someone along the lines has mentioned that "The First Time" is the exact same song as "All I Want Is You." Not sure about the key.

the song isn't the same, only the intro sounds a bit the same... it's a different key tho

i remember sitting in the cinema until the last note was played and being the only person still there at the end of the credits of Rattle & Hum the Movie. All I want is you is classic beauty through music.

CKONE said:
i remember sitting in the cinema until the last note was played and being the only person still there at the end of the credits of Rattle & Hum the Movie. All I want is you is classic beauty through music.

know what I mean?..........like a classic black and white pic of fifties hollywood star.

Galeongirl said:

the song isn't the same, only the intro sounds a bit the same... it's a different key tho

No, the progression is the same. The main part is the I chord to the IV. Although Edge adds some different melody phrasing over the progression. Then for the chorus parts, each song goes to the minor VI chord and back to the IV before resolving back at the I. Same exact song. Obviously Bono's melodies are different.

europop2005 said:

The first half is pretty good too, but I'm with you 100% about Edge's solo! :drool: I fell in love with Rattle & Hum again a month or so ago and couldn't get enough of AIWIY. That solo pushes all the right buttons in my brain... after Bono's howl, the way it hammers those perfect high notes before falling away and broadening out for that huge, sweeping finale... I get chills and tear up almost every single time. Was actually dangerous to have that in the car while I was driving... :ohmy: :wink:

And I love the strings... I always get mad when they play this song on the radio, and it cuts off or fades out early. :mad:

The video clip is awesome too...

Incidentally, if there is a different melody, it's not the "same exact song". You can call it "very very similar" until the cows come home, but it's not the exact same song.
</nitpicker>

Well, not the same song obviously. But the same chord structure. I'm not disparaging either songs - they are both great.

Goocher100 said:
AIWIY is one of U2's finest moments in my opinion. When it's performed live it's an absolute knockout as well.

:yes: I was fortunate enough to hear it in Honolulu last December live They closed the entire tour with this song. Amazing!

I was hoping for 40, but this was moving as well.
Great great song! Ali is so blessed.:drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's their A Day in the Life.

Bono is dead.

:shifty:

:lol:

And when I first got Zooropa, I thought it sounded exactly the same as AIWIY as well.

I think its endig is overshadowed by WOWY's, but the transition into Streets was incredible.

Back
Top Bottom