the last half of AIWIY is probably the greatest song ending ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

:eyebrow: Where did you take music theory?

Jesus Christ. With a private teacher. It's not complicated. It's three chords, just moved to a different key signature.

And I'm not dissing either song or accusing U2 of anything sneaky. Just an observation.

ahittle said:

Jesus Christ. With a private teacher. It's not complicated. It's three chords, just moved to a different key signature.

Jesus was your teacher?:ohmy: That's awesome.

I know you aren't dissing either song, that wasn't my point. But to dismiss it as the "same exact song" is a little elemantary. I mean if you're going to define songs this way how many other songs are the same exact song? It's just a very loose way to define a song.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Jesus was your teacher?:ohmy: That's awesome.

I know you aren't dissing either song, that wasn't my point. But to dismiss it as the "same exact song" is a little elemantary. I mean if you're going to define songs this way how many other songs are the same exact song? It's just a very loose way to define a song.

Well, yeah. There are a limited number of chord progressions that acceptable in rock music, and there are obvious similarities in parts of songs. U2 are not really pushing any boundaries with esoteric chord progressions - cool guitar parts and arrangements, yes, but not the basic chord structures of their songs.

I mean, how many U2 songs rely on the I-IV change? I Will Follow, Bad, Running to Stand Still, etc. The WOWY progression has shown up in a number of songs. COBL and WGRYWH share some common changes.

But, there are no two U2 songs that are as similar as TFT and AIWIY. The basic structure of the songs are the same.

Probably one the best displays of what we all know as "The Edge Orchestra" and which if you are trying to tell others why you love U2 and why they are different this is one of things you try to impress upon others.

...probably - but then there's the outro of "One Tree Hill" plus the ending of a zillion other tunes, so there may be space...

ahittle said:

But, there are no two U2 songs that are as similar as TFT and AIWIY. The basic structure of the songs are the same.

but they're in different keys... and different styles...different melodies, etc...I mean, like BVS said, you cannot say they're the same song just because they have the same chord progression. there are sooo many songs that have the same progression. I could write a song with a I-IV-VI-IV-I structure and have it sound completely different than either U2 song. and no one said U2 was pushing the boundries with progressions, either :shrug:

AtomicBono said:

but they're in different keys... and different styles...different melodies, etc...I mean, like BVS said, you cannot say they're the same song just because they have the same chord progression. there are sooo many songs that have the same progression. I could write a song with a I-IV-VI-IV-I structure and have it sound completely different than either U2 song. and no one said U2 was pushing the boundries with progressions, either :shrug:

But that's not the chord progression for these two. Listen, I'm not going to convince you, and I didn't mean to start an argument. But strip away the studio arrangements. Find a common key (hell, U2 moves keys around to suit Bono anyway). Split the difference between the two and call it "G." The verse of this twin song is now G/C over and over. The chorus is Em/C/Em/C/G/C

Pretend you are around a campfire (or better yet, on the b-stage!). It's just you and the essence of the song.

The bare genetics of the songs, save for Bono's great melodies, follow the same progression. You could do a cool medley without changing gears or even the chords. I always thought it was a neat similarity. There are no other U2 songs that share the same progression through the verse and the chorus, and it's not like these songs are some knuckleheaded "Louie Louie" clones like a million other rock songs. Go ahead and sing a verse and chorus of TFT over AIWIY.

Re: Re: the last half of AIWIY is probably the greatest song ending ever

Alisaura said:

The first half is pretty good too, but I'm with you 100% about Edge's solo! :drool: I fell in love with Rattle & Hum again a month or so ago and couldn't get enough of AIWIY. That solo pushes all the right buttons in my brain... after Bono's howl, the way it hammers those perfect high notes before falling away and broadening out for that huge, sweeping finale... I get chills and tear up almost every single time. Was actually dangerous to have that in the car while I was driving... :ohmy: :wink:

And I love the strings... I always get mad when they play this song on the radio, and it cuts off or fades out early. :mad:

The video clip is awesome too...

Incidentally, if there is a different melody, it's not the "same exact song". You can call it "very very similar" until the cows come home, but it's not the exact same song.
</nitpicker>

I agree -I need to consciously breathe when I hear this, especially live. Yes, the transition into Streets is beyond words.
In U2 GO HOME - Slane, it was mindblowing.

The video fits the song, altho carnival stuff is nightmarish to me and I prefer to picture Bono doing it live.

ahittle said:
But that's not the chord progression for these two. Listen, I'm not going to convince you, and I didn't mean to start an argument. But strip away the studio arrangements. Find a common key (hell, U2 moves keys around to suit Bono anyway). Split the difference between the two and call it "G." The verse of this twin song is now G/C over and over. The chorus is Em/C/Em/C/G/C

Pretend you are around a campfire (or better yet, on the b-stage!). It's just you and the essence of the song.

The bare genetics of the songs, save for Bono's great melodies, follow the same progression. You could do a cool medley without changing gears or even the chords. I always thought it was a neat similarity. There are no other U2 songs that share the same progression through the verse and the chorus, and it's not like these songs are some knuckleheaded "Louie Louie" clones like a million other rock songs. Go ahead and sing a verse and chorus of TFT over AIWIY.

I understand what you are saying about the progressions, and it is correct.

However, I certainly wouldn't call them "the same song" just due to progression.

Back
Top Bottom