The Joshua Tree vs Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for the Tree. Just do it.

• The Joshua Tree

Votes: 121 80.7%
  • Bomb

Votes: 29 19.3%

• Total voters

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Go.

'Miracle Drug', 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', 'City Of Blinding Lights', and 'Yahweh' were attempts by U2 to replicate, at least to an extent, the type of music they made on The Joshua Tree. Those songs owe their existance to The Joshua Tree.

Remember in 'Back To The Future', when Marty is 1955, and his parents almost don't kiss, and Marty and his brother and his sister start disappearing from a picture of themselves that Marty brought with him from 1985? Well, imagine you take a photo of your copy of Bomb. Now imagine you have a time machine and you go back to 1986 with that photo. Now imagine that you do something, anything(it really doesn't matter what) to alter the course of U2's actions to the point where, instead of making The Joshua Tree, they make a different record. Now imagine, as U2 are recording this different record, you look at your photo, and see that Bomb is fading away. That's the connection that the songs mentioned above from Bomb, and The Joshua Tree have.

So, yeah, Joshua Tree.

namkcuR said:
Go.

'Miracle Drug', 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own', 'City Of Blinding Lights', and 'Yahweh' were attempts by U2 to replicate, at least to an extent, the type of music they made on The Joshua Tree. Those songs owe their existance to The Joshua Tree.

The only one I see is COBL.

That being said, is it fair to make a poll by introducing it with a lame comparison with such bias?

That being said, JT wins. It's a masterpiece, with only one other album in the U2 catalogue that compares...

But I think Bomb is a good album that only lacks a little bit of theme.

Not even a contest.

I know of only one album superior to The Joshua Tree and it is The Unforgettable Fire.

I prefer the individual songs of Bomb to JT. The problem with listening to JT for me is that after the first half of glory, the second half seems worse in comparison.
No doubt however, that JT is the better record..

The Joshua Tree, for me!

I don't know what the point of making this poll... no contest at all.
There are no better U2 albums than Joshua Tree at least in my books.

I can't believe six people have actually voted for Bomb.

Come on, how can you vote for HTDAAB when JT is opened by the glory of the Holy Trinity, closed by the eerie Suite Of Death, and supported by a rock-solid middle?

Voting for HTDAAB over JT is like voting for a paper plane instead of the Concorde in a poll asking "what is the faster form of passenger air transport?"

How come someone make a poll like this?:lol: I mean, does HTDAAB have at least a second to compete with Joshua Tree?

Just in case... I voted for Joshua Tree ;)

I voted for the Bomb of course! The Joshua Tree sucks!

yeah sure! :rolleyes:

:yawn: These polls have grown tiresome. And namkcuR... sorry buddy, but that was a pretty biased intro and poll title, I have to say.. as much as I think there is no contest here and it's a no brainer.

Why not make it The Passengers against Achtung Baby so we can have another blow-out poll?

Ok these polls are getting to be a bit much-Isn't there enough threads for the self righteous to get their digs in?
Anyway AB and JT are still U2's pinnicle in my book, with UF and HTDAAB in the next tier.

I'VE GOT AN IDEA.

Who's up for Sgt. Peppers vs. HTDAAB?

Or Dark Side of the Moon vs. HTDAAB?

Pet Sounds vs. HTDAAB?

Come on, it'll be brilliant. We'll do one poll every day. What do you guys say? :hyper:

:wink:

:scream:

Oh, come on, these polls are getting ridiculous now! There will be fans genuinely voting for HTDAAB, but I'm sure there will be other people voting for it out of spite. Enough, already!

I voted for JT. :shifty:

Now I'm a huge defender of Bomb, but... I mean...

ITS THE JOSHUA TREE!!! :hyper:

The greatest musical gift from God! :drool:

-votes-

catlhere said:
Now I'm a huge defender of Bomb, but... I mean...

ITS THE JOSHUA TREE!!! :hyper:

The greatest musical gift from God! :drool:

-votes-

If the Joshua Tree had been the double album it was meant to be, then I would agree. But the edited version means it comes in 2nd to Achtung Baby.

I don't think this is a fair poll - at least not now.

First, JT is loved by U2 fans. I'm not sure why - it's second to "October" in terms of my least favorite U2 albums. But I realize I'm unique.

That said, even I have to admit there's some brilliant stuff on JT - and we've now had almost 19 years (!!!) to enjoy it. In contrast, we've had a scant year and a month to fully enjoy "Bomb".

I need not do any poll to determine which one would win.

That said, I'm happy to see others, like me, vote for "Bomb" here. JT has great stuff, but "Bomb" is simply a better collection of songs. Maybe JT flows better as an album, but this is both its biggest strength and biggest weakness. "Bomb" is a step up from ATYCLB in terms of song-writing and skills. I'm happy to see some fans see this. It doesn't mean that "Bomb" is their favorite U2 album, but that they, like me, don't worship at the JT altar. ;)

Oh this is real fair! My favorite is Bomb even though JT is a masterpiece....Match up JT against any album that ever existed in this forum and it will win -- even against Achtung Baby.

STING2 said:

If the Joshua Tree had been the double album it was meant to be, then I would agree. But the edited version means it comes in 2nd to Achtung Baby.
Well AB can't even compare to TJT in my opinion.
AB is U2's best album...

TJT is not an album... it's a heaven sent masterpiece that even Jesus himself is jealous he couldn't make. :drool: therefore it INSTAWINS/10

And thats a FACT, in my opinion. :wink:

cjboog said:
Oh this is real fair! My favorite is Bomb even though JT is a masterpiece....Match up JT against any album that ever existed in this forum and it will win -- even against Achtung Baby.
In this forum I'm not so sure. In real life, yes. Critically, Sales, and Popularity. But on Interference? Hell, M0f0 I think could topple Streets in a best song poll. :no:

Back
Top Bottom