The Joshua Tree Double Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monke

The Fly
Ive heard that The Joshua Tree was supossed to be a double album, not really sure about this, so, can anyone confirm it, if so, what was the tracklist (if revealed), if not, what "could" be a double album in the joshua vein, im making this joshua compilation for a friend so, can anyone help?

wow thanks, ill try the new tracklist and see what happens :drool:

Yup, that site lists one of the many possible tracklists that could have been the double album. It's comprised of songs we all know about.

There also, however, were some demos that either made their way to B-sides or were shelved altogether. Who knows if any of these would have made it to a double album. These are seven 30-second-or-so tracks that leaked while JT was being worked on. They were apparently copied/stolen/leaked by a delivery person who was transporting a copy of the songs from the band to Island, or something like that. Like the Achtung Baby Outtakes, these don't have real names---they've been named by fans based on Bono's lyrics. Here's a list of the seven songs. I've indicated in parenthesis the B-side that they evolved into, where appropriate:

1. Tell Them The Story
2. Present Tense (Walk To The Water)
3. In The Doorstep - Golden Light
4. Dance With Me Baby
5. Diamond Store
6. And You Didn't Make Any Enemies
7. Move Up (Race Against Time)

Who knows if these went anywhere & may have made it to a double album. :shrug: My guess is that since only two really evolved into B-sides, the other five were probably dropped altogether.

bah, i can't stand that tracklisting! i don't mean to blow my own trumpet but i made one earlier this year that seemed to flow a lot better than that one. i'd post it now but i'm not "premium" so i'll have to find the cds tommorow morning.

Filling one 80 minute CDR:

1. Beautiful Ghost / Introduction to Songs of Experience
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. Silver And Gold
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5. Deep In The Heart
6. Spanish Eyes
7. With Or Without You
8. Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
9. Walk To The Water
10. Bullet The Blue Sky
11. Running To Stand Still
12. Red Hill Mining Town
13. In God's Country
14. Trip Through Your Wires
15. Sweetest Thing
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit
18. Mothers Of The Disappeared

Heartland was also supposed to be on the Joshua Tree.

MrBrau1 said:

3. Silver And Gold
5. Deep In The Heart
6. Spanish Eyes
7. With Or Without You
9. Walk To The Water
10. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. Red Hill Mining Town
13. In God's Country
15. Sweetest Thing
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit

No 'Race Against Time'?

MrBrau1 said:

3. Silver And Gold
5. Deep In The Heart
6. Spanish Eyes
7. With Or Without You
9. Walk To The Water
10. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. Red Hill Mining Town
13. In God's Country
15. Sweetest Thing
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit

If one wanted to put "Heartland" into that mix, which song or songs would you drop and where would you put "Heartland"?

I'd yank "Deep In The Heart" and put "Heartland" right in it's place.

Plus, they're both around 5 minutes long, so space shouldn't be an issue.

I also fixed the mastering problem with Exit and OTH.

Tacked the "Oh great ocean" bit on the end of OTH, and matched the volume of Exit with the rest of the record.

MrBrau1 said:

3. Silver And Gold
5. Deep In The Heart
6. Spanish Eyes
7. With Or Without You
9. Walk To The Water
10. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. Red Hill Mining Town
13. In God's Country
15. Sweetest Thing
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit

I like what you've done here, but you shouldn't have based it around a single CD as a double album would've been the 'supposed' release.
So maybe you could post us your 2CD version that could include any extra tracks that you might've put on?
It's just that I enjoy making my own track lists and also enjoy listening to other fans' compilations.

BUT I really do think that The Sweetest Thing is out of place here.
Yes, I know that it was a JT era release, but to me doesn't follow the 'feel' of the rest of the tracks - that wide-open American 'feel'.
It just simply doesn't work for me and I would leave it out of the track listing.

A good 'pop' song though it is - that is all it is. It contains no depth or that certain je ne sais quoi that the other tracks of this era contain.

I've always enjoyed this one I made for a set of U2 box sets i made for a graphic design project at college.

The holy trinity is all still in place and the so-called 'Death Trilogy' at the end almost intact apart from 'Silver and Gold' following 'Exit' which in my opinion takes the album's mood up a LITTLE bit, if at all possible, plus I think the fade out at the end of 'Silver and Gold' is a strength before finishing off with 'Mothers...' :up:

Disc One
1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With or Without You
4. Walk to the Water
5. Trip Through Your Wires
6. Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
7. Race Against Time
8. Red Hill Mining Town

Disc Two
1. In God's Country
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Sweetest Thing
4. Deep in the Heart
5. Bullet the Blue Sky
6. Running to Stand Still
7. One Tree Hill
8. Exit
9. Silver and Gold
10. Mothers of the Disappeared

with thanks to Axver for the advice he gave on disc two months and months ago.

Last edited:
Okay, something that really bugs me about this so-called "double album" is that the tracklisting that has circulated on that website for so long is only a fan's interpretation and NOT U2's potential version.

Bono did say that WOWY wouldn't make sense without Walk To The Water or Luminous Times ....that doesn't mean that this is the order those songs are supposted to be in!!!

To me this tracklisting doesn't make sense a bit:
WOWY
Walk To The Water
Luminous Times

This makes much much better sense, flows better and tells a story:
1. Walk To The Water: (boy meets girl)
2. Luminious Times: (Falls in love, love starts coming apart hence the "Hold on to love" lyrics)
3. With Or Without You: The ultimate plea, the climax of the story.

Granted this is only my interpretation, but it seems to flow much better than what is listed on that site.

Also, try "Race Against Time" before Mothers of the Disapeared--it flows perfectly which makes me think that was it's intended spot. But who knows.

ImOuttaControl said:
Okay, something that really bugs me about this so-called "double album" is that the tracklisting that has circulated on that website for so long is only a fan's interpretation and NOT U2's potential version.

Bono did say that WOWY wouldn't make sense without Walk To The Water or Luminous Times ....that doesn't mean that this is the order those songs are supposted to be in!!!

To me this tracklisting doesn't make sense a bit:
WOWY
Walk To The Water
Luminous Times

This makes much much better sense, flows better and tells a story:
1. Walk To The Water: (boy meets girl)
2. Luminious Times: (Falls in love, love starts coming apart hence the "Hold on to love" lyrics)
3. With Or Without You: The ultimate plea, the climax of the story.

Granted this is only my interpretation, but it seems to flow much better than what is listed on that site.

Also, try "Race Against Time" before Mothers of the Disapeared--it flows perfectly which makes me think that was it's intended spot. But who knows.

Good point and interesting idea.

"Heartland" was actually supposed to be on the Joshua Tree. The mix I have made can only fit on a cassette as it runs 88 minutes long with 20 songs.

I made one mix based on the website but I am considering a new mix below

Side A

1. Beautiful Ghost
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Deep In the Heart
6. With Or Without You
7. Luminous Times
8. Walk To The Water
9. The Sweetest Thing
10. Trip Through Your Wires

11. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. Silver And Gold
13. Running To Stand Still
14. Red Hill Mining Town
15. In God's Country
16. Heartland
17. One Tree Hill
18. Exit
19. Race Against Time
20. Mothers Of The Disappeared

I place "Spanish Eyes" as the start of a relationship since the start of a relationship often has a significant amount of "lust" rather than true love. Then in "Deep In the Heart" the person cheats on their new partner. Without Or Without You is about the crises that develops from the persons previous mistake. Luminous Times is the honest attempt to explain ones true feelings of love and a plea to continue the relationship, Walk To The Water is an attempt to remind the other person of their relationship by going back to the past and then once again is a plea to continue the relationship. The Sweetest Thing and Trip Through Your Wires are sort of the apology completed, get back together, celebration of the relationship type songs.

I don't know, I just sort of thought that up and I'm not sure how much sense it makes. As for the other songs, I think they fit well together, its this bundle of love songs that is difficult to make sense out of.

Back
Top Bottom