The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely!
The "greatest album of all time"...and without a doubt in my mind!

(When I first bought it - '87 - I bought it as a cassette - and I played out side 2 in no time at all...Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country, Trip Thru Your Wires, Exit...I may get flamed but I actually think "Side 2" is stronger than "Side 1")

I'll agree w/ that. I think it's STILL my favorite-and an absolute masterpiece
smile.gif

A piece of art. Not only musically, but spiritually and socially. I feel bad for those who have don't know the real meaning of the songs and therefore can only enjoy the surface of the record.

They are missing on one of the best parts of the record. Imagine not knowing who Jara is. Or what he means when he says "Here I stand with the sons of cain". Not knowing the meaning of Bullet or Mother Of the Disappeared.

A poetic masterpiece.

Out of all my CD's, the Joshua Tree is the one that has always held a special place in my heart. It has my favorite U2 song of all time on it; Where The Streets Have No Name.

------------------
"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night. One heart, one hope, one love."

Even though I am fortunate to own a gold Tree cd, I am still waiting for a remastered Tree to be commercially released (with Spanish Eyes, Walk to the Water, and Sweetest Thing all added as bonus tracks!!!). It is such a shame that the greatest album of all time has not been re-released with better quality sound for everyone to enjoy. Maybe this poll will convince someone to hurry up and do this.

I was turning 16 when the Joshua Tree came out. With or Without You became "our" song for 3 different girlfriends during my highschool years. I wrote a report for my English teacher about Exit. I converted her to U2 that week when she asked to borrow my album (I also had the cassette, so I was cool with that). This album is my answer to the question about being stranded on an island. These songs are firmly locked together with my memories for eternity. When I walk thru the gates of Heaven, I am very likely to be humming one of these songs.

Ok, I think you get the picture.
wink.gif

------------------
"I know that this is not goodbye." -Kite

The Joshua Tree is what started my love for U2. It holds special sentimental value for me. It was also the first concert I ever saw in my entire life. I cried through the whole thing.

Awesome, awesome album.

Yes, you're absolutely right - One Tree Hill as well!
I just wish they'd play THESE songs live, too! (no, I'm not complaining before you all jump on my back!
wink.gif
)

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Probably the worst album U2 has made.

Lol. you're funny.. I think.

If you aren't joking then, well, I disagree with you.

Joshuat Tree is I think U2's best album, but often tied with Achtung Baby. They're both so excellent and so different I find it very difficul to choose one over the other. But all the songs on JT are excellent and it works very well as a whole.

Joshua Tree is a great album that will live forever. Pop sucks. I can say this if the Russian boy can continue to bash ATYCLB in every thread. I guess he just doesn't think or feel deep enough to appreciate the meaning and emotion of ATYCLB.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Absolutely!
The "greatest album of all time"...and without a doubt in my mind!

(When I first bought it - '87 - I bought it as a cassette - and I played out side 2 in no time at all...Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country, Trip Thru Your Wires, Exit...I may get flamed but I actually think "Side 2" is stronger than "Side 1")

You forgot One Tree Hill

My absolute favourite song of all time

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
doctorwho I am ashamed.

face76.gif

I highly doubt that you could be ashamed of anyone.
wink.gif

P.S. Just for the record, I was "having a go" at those who do write this way, i.e., insult without reason. JT is not my favorite U2 album by any means (even back in '87) however, it has many outstanding tracks. I just hate, however, when people spout out opinions or insults as if their view is the ONLY view. In this thread, I read people praise JT for no reason and attack ATYCLB for no reason. They were just begging to be mocked.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 11-23-2001).]

Hmm, I don't think anyone was "spouting" out their opinions like it was the only one....actually this thread was pretty non-confrontational 'til you posted!

(No one attacked ATYCLB until after you put in your 2 cents so it "wasn't just begging to be mocked"...)

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 11-23-2001).]

JT is certainly the best, it's where it all began. I am just sorry my dw didn't MAKE me take her to the JT tour when it came through, one of the regrets I have in life.

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:
Hmm, I don't think anyone was "spouting" out their opinions like it was the only one....actually this thread was pretty non-confrontational 'til you posted!

(No one attacked ATYCLB until after you put in your 2 cents so it "wasn't just begging to be mocked"...)

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 11-23-2001).]

Oh for the love of...

I can't even have a little fun teasing people without someone getting all bent out of shape.

I really HATE U2 fans.

You HATE me DoctorWho?
Well that's nice...You don't even bloody know me!

And I'm sorry if I misinterpreted what you said...I didn't realize you were teasing...

It's difficult to tell with you these days...it really is.
I mean in one thread you write that Joshua Tree sucks then you start up a post about hating U2 fans...

It isn't exactly easy to know when someone is teasing and someone isn't...
Trust me, I can take a joke as well as anyone else....
As long as I bloody well know it's a joke!

And for the record, I don't hate you...I've always thought your posts to be well thought-out, intelligent, humours, witty and insightful.
And besides I don't even know you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom