The intro to TGBHF bites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
For some reason, the few seconds of the instrumentals intro to The Ground Beneath Her Feet has always rubbed me the wrong way. It sounds like a lame-o MIDI file, or a cellphone ring or something. I have to skip over the first few seconds to enjoy the rest of the song.

Just thought I'd share. :wink:

Last edited:
Really? Reminds me of a nice churchy organ, to be honest.

Underrated song.

I have fond memories of the intro to this song....This was one of the first new U2 songs to come out after I became a huge fan--I was a teenager who had been waiting for what seemed like forever for new material. TGBHF became one of the top requested songs on the alternative radio stations where I lived and every night I would wait patiently to hear it played on the top ten countdown. Hearing the first few notes was heaven--excitement that can only come with being an obsessed 17 year old.

How's that for off topic?

I also kinda get bugged by that whole intro noise. It kinda resembles that country sound that alot of country artists use today. that weird noise.

Another song that bugs me in the intro is When I Look At The World. I think that song has alot of potential though, i like it.

WalkOn21 said:
There's actually no-one in this thread who realizes that it ISN'T some MIDI sound, but actually a bagpipe? :shrug:

That doesn't make me like the sound of it anymore. :shrug:

Utoo said:
It sounds like a lame-o MIDI file, or a cellphone ring or something.

i agree 100%. acutally, when i first went searching for this song i accidentally found the MIDI file, and i turned it off after 3 seconds. . . then i watch the video on the Best Of DVD and i thought what??? :scratch: . it's crap, but the song afterwards is very good :up:

I'm in total agreement with you Utoo.

The intro to this song (until the singing begins) is crap. So much so that it took me months to patiently deal with it so I could appreciate the rest of the song (which is excellent).

Too bad they had to throw in that bad intro.

catlhere said:
I also kinda get bugged by that whole intro noise. It kinda resembles that country sound that alot of country artists use today. that weird noise.
Good lord, that's a slide guitar. I suppose you don't like the live Mysterious Ways solo, either? Or the intro to COBL?

david said:
do you hate the intro to with or without you

Canadiens1160 said:
Good lord, that's a slide guitar. I suppose you don't like the live Mysterious Ways solo, either? Or the intro to COBL?

I'm not talking about the first sound of the intro---I'm talking about the second sound--what obviously sounds like an electric keyboard set on "trumpet" or "organ" mode. :yuck:

I don't mind the intro :shrug: I have no opinion of it either way.

the last minute or so of the song, however, is one of the greatest things to happen in musical history.

The intro to TGBHF is beautiful and haunting and amazing. It gave me great hope for the future of U2 at that time. Then those hopes were dashed into small pieces by ATYCLB. Shame, shame , shame on all of you who do not like that intro.

Back
Top Bottom