The intro to All Because Of You.. Just a thought I had..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
That really cool intro guitar part to All Because of You, to me, sounds like it would go into a cooler more expirmental U2 type of song rather than a sort of RAW throwback to the Who type of song. I sometimes feel like Edge should have saved it for something like that instead of All Because of You. Does anyone else think this?

my two cents

David: "That really cool intro guitar part to All Because of You, to me, sounds like it would go into a cooler more expirmental U2 type of song rather than a sort of RAW throwback to the Who type of song. I sometimes feel like Edge should have saved it for something like that instead of All Because of You. Does anyone else think this?"

Yes, I felt precisely that way. I loved the intro, and liked the song a lot, but felt they didn't mesh. But after a few listens, I became hooked on it. (Now I think ABOY is the best song on the record practically.)
I fell in love the stange sort of resonance the lead electric guitar line has that makes a sort of straight ahead rock song feel really inventive. But after a few more listens, realized where that came from.

The intro is actually running through most of the song.

The intro is composed of basically two elements, outside of the RIPPING amp squelch that leads it off. The lead guitar line, and a guitar synth genrated (I think) loop that sounds sort of like computer beeping and plays under it. The intro loop is actually under the main, ringing, melodic quitar line and the solo. You can hear the loop best after the bono vocal.

I'm not well versed enough in guitar production to know if this is an actual loop, or a reverb setting, or midi effect, triggered by the edges line. But it's constantly harmonizing with the lead line. And when it is gone (like in the driving riff under the chorus) I feel the space in the sound that it leaves behind. You can hear all these little undertones in it and, as well as little bright sparks of harmony.

This song, L&POE, Crumbs, AMAAW, OOTS, all continue to dazzle me with the complexity and depth of the production. As much as I wanted at first to write of the album as having only one flaw, namely that it wasn't sonically innovative, I keep finding all these little secrets in the tracks, and the album keeps blowing my mind.

I almost feel like what radiohead is trying to do with dischord, texture, and disjointed song structures. U2 is trying to do here with melody, throwing layers and layers at you. And using little bits of production alchemy (like the intro that spawed this thread) to make them all align. I feel like this record is like five ATYCLB's played at once.

And every day, I feel more and more that this record really stands on equal footing with Joshua and Actung.

Sorry, kind of a disjointed tirade there.

Oh yeah, and this one KICKED ASS in the Radio 1 show, and on tour, it will tear the roof off.

turnthedarkoff

Back
Top Bottom