The Immortals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nem tudo o que fala portugu?s ? brasileiro... eu sou mesmo do pa?s de origem da l?ngua, sou portugu?s (de lisboa).
Cumprimentos para os f?s brasileiros.

Oi bedouin fire, quanto tempo...lembra de mim? ;) Oi BrazilianFly :wave:

This is cool news. I must get this one. I just read a portuguese version of Chris Martin?s article on U2, very nice. Now I?m curious about Edge?s piece as well.

Cheers
MT

follower said:
Oi bedouin fire, quanto tempo...lembra de mim? ;) Oi BrazilianFly :wave:

This is cool news. I must get this one. I just read a portuguese version of Chris Martin?s article on U2, very nice. Now I?m curious about Edge?s piece as well.

Cheers
MT

Oi! :wave:

Where did you get the Chris Martin article on U2?!?!!?!?!

It's a disgraceful list, very biased towards solo artists and particular those who peaked prior to the 1980's.

The only position I can agree with is The Beatles and maybe the stones. I despise Michael Jackson, yet have to admit that he should be in the 20's

TheBrazilianFly said:

Oi! :wave:

Where did you get the Chris Martin article on U2?!?!!?!?!

Actually someone posted a transcription at a local mailing list (see "from" in my profile ;)), maybe I can send it to you. Anyways, here is the real thing, thanks to a lovely girl named Gina, from another forum, who typed it all. I think she wouldn?t mind if I post it here...so many thanks to her :) Here it goes:

I don't buy weekend tickets to Ireland and hang out in front of their gates, but U2 are the only band whose catalog I know by heart. The first song on The Unforgettable Fire, A Sort Of Homecoming, I know backward and forward-it's so rousing, brilliant and beautiful. It's one of the first songs I played to my unborn baby.

The first U2 album I ever heard was Achtung Baby. It was 1991, and I was fourteen years old. Before that, I didn't even know what albums were. From that point, I worked backward-every six months, I'd get to buy a new U2 album. The sound they pioneered-the driving bass and drums underneath and those ethereal, effects-laden guitar tracks floating out from above-was nothing that had been heard before. They may be the only good anthemic rock band ever. Certainly they're the best.

What I love most about U2 is that the band is more important than any of their songs or albums. I love that they're best mates and have an integral role in one another's lives as friends.

I love the way that they're not interchangeable-if Larry Mullen Jr wants to go scuba diving for a week, the rest of the band can't do a thing.U2-like Coldplay-maintain that all songs that appear on their albums are credited to the band. And they are the only band that's been around for twenty years with no member changes and no big splits.

It's amazing that the biggest band in the world has so much integrity and passion in their music. Our society is thoroughly screwed, fame is a ridiculous waste of time, and celebrity culture is disgusting. There are only a few people around brave enough to talk out against it, who use their fame in a good way. And every time I try, I feel like an idiot, because I see Bono actually getting things achieved. While everyone else is swearing at George Bush, Bono is the one who rubs Bush's backand gets a billion dollars for Africa.

People can be so cynical-they don't like do-gooders-but Bono's attitude is "I don't care what anybody thinks, I'm going to speak out. " He's accomplished so much with Greenpeace, in Sarajevo, at the concert to shut down the Sellafield nuclear power plant, and he still runs the gauntlet. When the time came for Coldplay to think about fair trade, we took his lead to speak out regardless of what anyone may think. That's what we've learned from U2: You have to brave enough to be yourself.

Cheers
MT

U2girl said:
Thanks follower! Nicely put by Martin :yes:

Lets thank Gina. I know she?s an interferencer as well...or was one. Can?t remember her nickname though.

I agree, Chris Martin seems to be as passionate about U2 as we all are.

Cheers
MT

Thanks a lot follower, ? bom saber que tem gente da minha cidade aqui tamb?m!!! Eu tamb?m sou de Porto Alegre.

Now about the Chris Martin essay I thought it was a little week, he could have said more things about them, he ended the thing talking about how amazing Bono, the person, is. He was supposed to talk about the band and their music, he should have sad more things about the music. It wasn?t bad but maybe he could have done a better work.

The best ones out of those I have read are the one Bono wrote about Elvis and the one Little Steven wrote about The Rolling Stones. Little Richard talking about himself did a good job too. :)

I agree with you Brazilian Fly. Martin also managed to work in Coldplay rather a lot, which was hardly necessary! The lad seems a bit full of himself to me.

I personally find all the Coldplay hype a little annoying, but Chris Martin did a fine job on that essay. It was very heartfelt and sincere.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Thanks a lot follower, ? bom saber que tem gente da minha cidade aqui tamb?m!!! Eu tamb?m sou de Porto Alegre.

Now about the Chris Martin essay I thought it was a little week, he could have said more things about them, he ended the thing talking about how amazing Bono, the person, is. He was supposed to talk about the band and their music, he should have sad more things about the music. It wasn?t bad but maybe he could have done a better work.

The best ones out of those I have read are the one Bono wrote about Elvis and the one Little Steven wrote about The Rolling Stones. Little Richard talking about himself did a good job too. :)

De nada BrazilianFly. Tamb?m acho legal encontrar algu?m da terrinha ;)

I sort of agree with you that Chris Martin could have done a better job, focusing more on U2?s music and all. But then again, I think he seems more like a fan, not only of their music but of their causes as well...better saying, Bono?s causes. I know Coldplay have worked for that MakeTradeFair campaign. I remember he said once that he felt like a half Bono and that he was working to be a full Bono one day, can?t find the right quote but it was something like that. And last, but not least, he may not be as gifted as Bono, in terms of eloquence. The B-man is unique in that field IMO. His piece on Elvis is amazing.

Cheers
MT

Last edited:
Oi follower, ? verdade j? l? vai um tempo. Espero que esteja tudo bem contigo.

Thank you for the post and the translation, and sorry to disagree but i really like the words from Chris Martin and like bono does a link from elvis to u2 and to his understanding of the world and music, he is doing the same between u2 and coldplay. In fact, i think his words are very bono's style.
Anyway, i am just glad to see that the frontman from this great that coldplay is (because they realy are) admits his love for u2.
tchau.

Shouldn?t a fairer list separate bands from individual artists?
Shouldn?t a fairer list separate the historical influence from the actual quality of the work? Of course no band can touch the historical impact of The Beatles. And does fact play too large of role of almost automatically shooting The Beatles to the top?

CRITERIA
Range Of Songs: Rock / Mid-tempo / Ballads / Epic Pieces. U2 has done it all and excellently.
Growth & Exploration & Innovation: The same old thing over and over? Not U2.
Range Of Subjects: U2 has and can do it all (life = politics / spirituality / relationships / individual struggle and development / social justice). Have not The Stones been limited to mostly ?Sex Drugs & Rock N? Roll?? Does The Who top The Stones here?
Studio and Live: U2 beats The Beatles? Who was a better live band The Stones or The Who?
Vocals: Difficult to top Bono?
Lyrics: Difficult to top Bono?
Guitar:
Rhythm Section:
Longevity & Consistency:

Can U2 beat The Beatles at this point? Or do they need another JT / AB to do it?
Does The Who finish ahead of The Stones?

In the light of this subject - the only thing I would like to see from U2 on their next album or next 2 albums is another 2 great ballads. Does Staring At The Sun and Stuck In A Moment stand up well in their own right and in comparison to WOWY and One? Does Staring At The Sun and Stuck In A Moment even stand up well against All I Want Is You and Stay?

Back
Top Bottom