the "I JUST GOT POPMART DVD" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
toscano said:
I'm hoping they sell tons of these, may make them think that the fans actually like the Pop material and they'd play more of it live next time.

:pray: x infinity

rosephile said:
I had a tough time finding it at Best Buy too 'cause the little one near my house always puts all the new releases on their own shelf/row but no Popmart there! There were two copies hiding in with the music dvds on the other side of the store. *rollzeyes*

Also, I have to exchange it 'cause disc 1 is fucked up in the middle and Bullet won't play at all, and SATS gets skippy and SBS only played on one dvd player... :mad: On the upside, this meant I'm ripping out those gorgeous pics to put on my wall since I need a new copy and it's not like they can re-sell this one. ;D
does your dvd say "PAL" or "NTSC" on the spine at the top?

In watching this DVD again especially the Edmonton part since I was there, and also have the bootleg these songs actually came from the June 15th show not the June 14th show, and this is especially evident when Bono says "we will be back here soon!" I remember that like it was yesterday as being part of the June 15th show :)

Funny enough Bono hasnt lived up that that promise yet....maybe next tour if they play stadiums in North America :)

I love the DVD...makes me miss the POPMART Tour ;( Time to dust off the Lemon and reinflate her!

bought the DVD yesterday as a birthday present to myself, watched it today.i liked the rotterdam and edmonton performances. the mexico show was great though. anybody noticed how larry's drums sounded more crisp on the outtakes than the mexico show? i wish the Boston and Vertigo DVD's sounded that way.

MsMofoGone said:
I'm really amazed that alot of people actually enjoy PopMart, as I thought most here cared about Zoo TV. :up:

:hmm: So ... what happened to change your minds?? :D

our minds evolved to the point where we can enjoy more than one thing.........

toscano said:
I'm hoping they sell tons of these, may make them think that the fans actually like the Pop material and they'd play more of it live next time.

:drool:

i hope this as well

i haven't gotten it yet though :( I will this weekend imo

zuropa_fit said:
OMG - Bono F'ing up "Desire" is HILARIOUS!!!!

"Palalala La Bamba, palalala La Bamba!....Stop." :lol:

Also a highlight SBS and Edge's little dance in MW.

Did Bono work out in that era ? He looked in better shape than other DVDs I've seen.

I like this DVD too. Nice direction (minus the Bullet mega edit and the far off shot/credits during Wake up dead man), nice clean up of the picture (sound not so much, at least compared to Zoo TV DVD), and a good disc 2.

Got it yesterday, it really makes me miss this U2. I think it was still around until...actually I'd say it was still around the Slane gigs. They've made some good music since, but this U2, the 4 guys that can somehow be the biggest band in the world but still give you that feeling that you're all in on the joke together... I miss that U2.

zuropa_fit said:
forgot to mention this - in the booklet, Larry looks like Vanilla Ice - made me a little sad inside.

:lol:

MsMofoGone said:
I'm really amazed that alot of people actually enjoy PopMart, as I thought most here cared about Zoo TV. :up:

My two babies. :drool: I think you'd find the love might be spread fairly evenly for both. Commercially, Zoo made the biggest splash, but PopMart was very misunderstood. Equally compelling, in my book. Sadly, they didn't have the 2-disc version at the store I went to tonight. :sad: I'll try another spot tomorrow. I want my Vanilla Ice booklet. :wink:

angelordevil said:
Commercially, Zoo made the biggest splash, but PopMart was very misunderstood.

Agree 100% !!
But, I've ALWAYS enjoyed PopMart more than Zoo ... I never could understand why that Zoo was the bigger deal. :hmm:
IMO, since PopMart was full of more glam and glitz ... it blew Zoo TV away. :up:

Quote:
Originally posted by zuropa_fit
OMG - Bono F'ing up "Desire" is HILARIOUS!!!!

"Palalala La Bamba, palalala La Bamba!....Stop."

Did Bono work out in that era ? He looked in better shape than other DVDs I've seen.

I like this DVD too. Nice direction (minus the Bullet mega edit and the far off shot/credits during Wake up dead man), nice clean up of the picture (sound not so much, at least compared to Zoo TV DVD), and a good disc 2.

To which audio stream are you listening? The stereo PCM is the original mix that was on the VHS, but has been re-mastered. However, the 5.1 mix is entirely new, and sounds fantastic.

U2girl said:

Which Bullet... mega edit? I didn't notice any. :confused:

MsMofoGone said:

I always preferred Popmart to Zoo TV. Zoo TV was a gigantic media blitz, the most spectacular, thoughtprovoking and boundary breaking concert show ever up to that point (and maybe up to now too).
But Popmart had a heart. I feel that Zoo TV at times tried to hard to impress us with the dizzle and the dazzle. Whereas Popmart went for the emotion. The gigantic screen also provided images to emotionally support the songs, instead of visually.

:)

Popmartijn said:

There's only one edit that I'm aware of during Bullet:

I had the original concert taped off of pay-per-view (remember when they used to do that?) and Bono sings a snippet of "America" from West Side Story. It was removed from the commercial release no doubt do to legal reasons. Its the part where he's wandering up the catwalk with his hat in his hand before "We run, We run..." There's silence now...

elevated_u2_fan said:
There's only one edit that I'm aware of during Bullet:

I had the original concert taped off of pay-per-view (remember when they used to do that?) and Bono sings a snippet of "America" from West Side Story. It was removed from the commercial release no doubt do to legal reasons. Its the part where he's wandering up the catwalk with his hat in his hand before "We run, We run..." There's silence now...

Oh, that part. I don't call that an edit, as it's still there. Only mixed down (at times you can still hear parts of it). We never got it as pay-per-view here (I think), so the commercial version was the one for me.

U2girl said:

"Palalala La Bamba, palalala La Bamba!....Stop." :lol:

Oh yeah, how could I forget Edge's dance! LOVE IT!

Popmartijn said:

Watch Edge walking from the B-stage after SBS. Notice how the camera switches angle and suddenly he is much closer to the camera right as BTBS starts ? The screen even goes blank for a split second.

Partialpro: I did try one of the 5.1 audio mixes, I still think Zoo TV has a better sound. The audience is overly loud at times, for example.

Popmartijn said:

Zoo TV was a gigantic media blitz, the most spectacular, thoughtprovoking and boundary breaking concert show ever up to that point (and maybe up to now too).

Maybe that's what hurt Popmart (alongside the bad vocals and the weird outfits). I always thought it tried to outZooTV Zoo TV.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I don't think I'll ever forgive U2 for not including karaoke Edge on at least Disc 2... :down::down:
Well there is a secret karaoke song on there...

But still not with the edge singing along, a shame yes.

That part of Bullet was edited due to copyright restrictions.....The sound is excellent on a home theatre setup DTS is great.

Originally posted by Popmartijn

I always preferred Popmart to Zoo TV.

Why does it seem like you and I are the only ones who feel this way ?? :hmm:

Originally posted by Popmartijn
Zoo TV was a gigantic media blitz, the most spectacular, thoughtprovoking and boundary breaking concert show ever up to that point (and maybe up to now too).
But Popmart had a heart. I feel that Zoo TV at times tried to hard to impress us with the dizzle and the dazzle. Whereas Popmart went for the emotion. The gigantic screen also provided images to emotionally support the songs, instead of visually.

Very well 'thought-out' post !! I agree totally. :up:
Also, Zoo TV was more like a 'radio' broadcast ... and PopMart was the motion picture !! :bow:

MsMofoGone said:

Why does it seem like you and I are the only ones who feel this way ?? :hmm:

Me 2

As much as I love Sydney for example , just the set list of Mexico and the perfomances itselves , beat Sydney all way

The Perfomance of One Mexico is just unbeatable

Back
Top Bottom