The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acrobat1977

Babyface
Just had my first listen and although I know I probably can't judge it after only one listening session I didn't like it at all this fist time. There is too much Eno/Passengers in this album. The best parts of the songs for me were mostly the endings, which is a bad sign for me. The best albums for me are always the ones that have to grow on me but another bad sign is that unlike with good albums in the past it now seems as if there are no parts that I really instantly like and compel me to listen to again. Ofcourse there are very good parts in many of the songs but they are now often ruined by things that come after these parts.

I hope it'll grow on me but for now I don't like the many whoohoohoo's of Bono, they come back in too many songs. I also don't like the depressing "Pink Floyd style" backing vocals thoughout the album. And although Edge's guitar work is present a lot (which I appreciate a lot) it has the same style and "voicing" throughout the album and thus can't really keep me surprised throughout, like it does on Achtung Baby where you can hear a real creative genius at work. It just misses the "X Factor" and doesn't sound inspired here.

Overall the album has a very heavy "forcing" atmosphere. The soundquality doesn't help in this area either. I thought/hoped this time it would be better than the average U2 album but the sound quality is the thing that disappoints me the most...to me it really sucks!! The overal sound is much too dense and heavy, compressed like hell. The bass is much too thick, voices sound suppressed and covered in veils and hi-hats sound like they were pulled through at leased three of the old Dolby noise suppressor filters that we used to have on our old tapedecks in a row! I also don't think there is a real purpose or reason to sound this way. It's just very unnatural, "over-produced", forced and low-fi.

For me it is a real album though, unlike for example Zooropa, seen in a way that the songs really belong together. Although Get on your boots and Cedars of Lebanon sound somewhat different, all the other songs give me the sense of being part of a whole.

I really, really hope I turn out to be wrong in my (now partly subconsious formed) feeling/opinion that for me it sucks. Not because of other people but because I really want to enjoy a good U2 album again and was really expecting and waiting for another masterpiece like Achtung Baby.

My U2 album top three for now stays the same:

Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Unforgettable Fire

I'm kinda underwhelmed, too. The album is really frontloaded and seems to fade as it gets to the end. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Maybe you should wait to get a high quality version before commenting on the sound quality.

And interestingly, the other things you describe as let downs are the very things that make this album so great--even after only a few listens. To each his own.

You certainly express your thoughts well, and I appreciate your opinion. I had a great initial reaction, and it's getting stronger on each listen. To each his own, but thanks for sharing!

I would put Acthung, Zooropa, and NLOTH as my top three.

Just had my first listen and although I know I probably can't judge it after only one listening session

[/thread]

Seriously, give it a chance. If you still don't like it after like 10 listens or something then you are permitted to continue this thread :wink:

I was really overwhelmed at first, honestly didn't know what to think. it wasn't an instant feeling of WOW THIS IS AMAZING. it was more ...what just happened?

On the 6th listen I can confidently say I like it WAY more than I did at first. I still don't feel the desire to listen to any song individually though. I feel like I have to take the album in as a whole.

but maybe it's just not your taste :shrug:

Maybe you should wait to get a high quality version before commenting on the sound quality.

And interestingly, the other things you describe as let downs are the very things that make this album so great--even after only a few listens. To each his own.

256 kbps is pretty much high quality, much people couldn't tell the difference from a retail CD to this. The things he's complaining about the sound I'm sure will be the same on the final album, because those things are not caused by mp3 encoding.

Interesting first post...

It leaked late last night, you joined this morning just to say you don't really like it...

:shrug: like Bram said, "to each his own"...

I'm waiting for the CD, I really feel underwhelmed by the sounds in some songs which probably isn't helped by the compression at all.

If it was leaked from a Universal download service, the sound quality is going to stay the same (aside from the slight increase to CD).

But, I was a little underwhelmed by a few songs. And I feel there were way too many variations of "oooohhhhh" scattered through the album.

To be perfectly honest...I'm so scared to press the play button right now...
I'm so hard to please with these guys I really am :|

the hooks and the choruses are really fantastic. there are some super cheesy things on the verses. stand up comedy, i hate you, i love you.

256 kbps is pretty much high quality, much people couldn't tell the difference from a retail CD to this. The things he's complaining about the sound I'm sure will be the same on the final album, because those things are not caused by mp3 encoding.

I agree, I have the 256kbps tracks and don't think the album on CD (which of course I will buy) will sound very different.

Interesting first post...

It leaked late last night, you joined this morning just to say you don't really like it...

:shrug: like Bram said, "to each his own"...

Sorry about the perhaps negative tone in my very first post. I'll explain. I joined this morning because I wanted to read this subforum to know where I could download the album. I was as much excited as most of the others here. :hyper: By the time I got home I found it in a newsgroup but since I registered here anyway and was a bit disappointed/depressed after listening I decided to post my first experience to maybe receive some "mental" support. :wink:

I'm really not trying to force my opinion on anyone else and I am certainly not here to attract negative attention. I respect the saying "to each his one" very much but like me (a fan of U2 since '91) there must be others who feel the same way and I'm trying to figure out why I feel about the album this way. Of course one way to find out is listen to it more (which I will certainly do) but talking about it on a forum or with friends can help too.

to me Zooropa is my favorite album ever, not just the best U2 album, but the best among all the artists, it's asoundtrack for my life, can't live without it.

The new album is ok, i'm not that impressed, i love it, but not on my top 5, at least yet, i feel theres missing a song like, Stay, One, Kite, Sometimes you can't make it on your own...

I'm a little underwhelmed by the album after a couple of listens. Zooropa and Pop took me a while to like though, and I love them both now.

I wish I wasn't checking this forum constantly and reading all the glowing reviews - I probably wouldn't have expected that much. And I REALLY shouldn't have looked at the "is this U2's best album ever" thread before I listened. A bunch of posts saying it's not as good as Achtung but better then The Joshua Tree - ??? :doh:

Right now, the only albums I would put this above are HTDAAB and October. I'm sure it will move up over time though.

but talking about it on a forum or with friends can help too.

No, this is one of the few areas of life where talking won't get you anywhere... You just have to listen.

If you just listen one time and then come on here to try and get people to change your mind you'll get nowhere...

Just listen, some albums are growers.

Just listen.

The new album is ok, i'm not that impressed, i love it, but not on my top 5, at least yet, i feel theres missing a song like, Stay, One, Kite, Sometimes you can't make it on your own...

I think there's a reason that goes for me too. When I listened some songs seemed 'to go to have' the kind of quality like the songs you mention (as examples) have but then something in the songs happens that ruins it. I can't really put in clearer words what happens that ruins it but it's as if the basis for a song used to be good but was later ruined after many revisions/changes or just the other way around in a way that they had average songs to start with in which they could only perfect some things and never really finish the whole song. Many of the songs also give me the feeling of being B-sides or sometimes even like the Achtung Baby outtake bootlegs.

as much as I respect other people's opinions, I am having a really hard time seeing why a long time fan would not like this...

What's that supposed to mean? That anyone who's a real fan of U2 must like it?

Listen, I don't mean to be a bit negative and aim this directly at you only when I say this, but I am getting really tired of people slamming other people for their opinions and trying to put them as being 'wrong'. So what? some people aren't liking it straight away, I am one of those people. It doesn't mean I am not a true U2 fan though. In time it will probably grow on me, but right now like other people, this album isn't grabbing me.

How many people who don't immediately like it didn't listen to the clips that much? I had the clips + Boots + NLOTH2 on repeat in my car and on my mp3 player since they came out so I already had a good feeling of what the songs were. I think it'd take me longer to get into the album if I didn't listen to the clips though!

How many people who don't immediately like it didn't listen to the clips that much? I had the clips + Boots + NLOTH2 on repeat in my car and on my mp3 player since they came out so I already had a good feeling of what the songs were. I think it'd take me longer to get into the album if I didn't listen to the clips though!

I think thats a very good point. Listening to the clips prepared me for the album, without them it would have been a major shock.

I'd been listening to the clips non-stop (loved them!) and, so far, am a wee bit disappointed with the album. I am pretty sure it will grow on me but it seems sort of boring after a couple listens.

most of the songs are rerally solid but there isn't a gem on the album, which is similar to how dig out your soul by oasis was like for me. stylistically the albums were totally different, but on both albums i enjoyed just about all of the songs, but there isn't really a single song that stands at as being incredible. Nothing on this album is even comparable to where the streets have no name, one, pride, acrobat, walk on, bad, or any of the greatest u2 songs.

This could be true indeed. I for one had not heard any of the clips before my first listen to the album. A friend of mine and I decided to wait for the full album (shop release) for the first time ever. As you will now understand we both agreed to drop that idea today as we couldn't stand to wait another 10 days or so! :hyper:

most of the songs are rerally solid but there isn't a gem on the album, which is similar to how dig out your soul by oasis was like for me. stylistically the albums were totally different, but on both albums i enjoyed just about all of the songs, but there isn't really a single song that stands at as being incredible. Nothing on this album is even comparable to where the streets have no name, one, pride, acrobat, walk on, bad, or any of the greatest u2 songs.

I (for now at least) fully agree. This might be the reason for me not liking the album for now. The strange thing is that with each former U2 album I always immediately had one or more favourites (that often changed over time) and songs I wanted to listen to again and don't have that feeling now. :reject:

But anyways, I'm going downstairs now and do what BonoVoxSupastar tells me and listen to it again. Will then let it sink in tonight and try again tomorrow! :up:

That's interesting; I've had something close to the opposite response--I actually think that Magnificent is such a gem that I haven't really been able to get a handle on a lot of the other songs. It's shining too brightly at the moment.

Edit: I also think that initial responses for those who have and have not been "prepped" by the clips are inevitably going to be different. Things will even out over time.

What's that supposed to mean? That anyone who's a real fan of U2 must like it?

Listen, I don't mean to be a bit negative and aim this directly at you only when I say this, but I am getting really tired of people slamming other people for their opinions and trying to put them as being 'wrong'. So what? some people aren't liking it straight away, I am one of those people. It doesn't mean I am not a true U2 fan though. In time it will probably grow on me, but right now like other people, this album isn't grabbing me.

did I say that?

I did not mean to offend you, if you don't like it, that's cool, I just have a hard time seeing why is all. Never once would I say that you are wrong for not liking something - that would be stupid.

Personal taste is just that, personal.

Back
Top Bottom