The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good God nsome people don't seem to have the capacity to understand what I'm saying.

When I tell you this album sucks (which I don't think at all) how would that in any way affect your opinion on the album? Fact: Everyone here knows taste is subjective. Everyone. So why with every post do we have to remind eachother that we're stating our own opinion when it's OBVIOUSLY the case. You don't need to tell someone to say "IMO' because you know it's their opinion. You just want the satisfaction of seeing them say it. And all of us know that no one is the authority on how this album was made.

You obviously didn't read my post.:|

To say you're underwhelmed by it, is frankly ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.[/quote]

How do you know it was 1 listen? I got the download at least 8 hours ago and I have played it over and over. Dont call my opinions ridiculous. :sad:

It is quite funny to see how people can't even let a guy like ScandalCrow vent his disappointment with the album in a thread dedicated to that very same purpose,

If that is all he was doing, I think most people would be fine. How many others have come in here and expressed their disappointment without any reaction?

When you have to make up accusations like they stole this backing vocal from this(when anyone with a 1st grade level of music theory could disprove), or they speculate that this no good hack had too much control Bono would have never wanted that...

Then you're going beyond showing your disappointment.

I'm disappointed that they have too much group harmonizing, but I'm not going to blame this person and act like I know they were the one that ruined this song, make a ridiculous statement that harmonizing always ruins the song, or make up some accusation that they ripped this off from this or that...

The only thing I have observed is that those people who spoke for months about their likely hatred of the album have stayed true to that. I doubt they gave the album a chance.

I haven't heard it yet *resisting*

Hi

This is my opinion after listening 4 or five times. I hope I won't be mistreat or incinerate because I only have a couple of post before.
I can only tell you that I have been a U2 fan since 1988.

For me since the first time I was eagerly waiting for the next new U2 album ( that was with POP) I have always the problem of expecting something as good as Achtung Baby. I mean that album is their masterpiece. That is the king of music I like more. It was a very original album, The Edge was on fire, and it came with lots of new guitar sounds and solos (Zoo Station, Even better than the real thing, Until the end of the world, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Ultraviolet and Acrobat) All of these songs have very different and original guitar parts.

After that all the other albums were good for me , but nothing that can be even compared to AB. They all have some very catchy pop songs but nothing extremely original.

I had great expectations for this album, but I still cannot even compare with AB. There are a lot of guitar parts, but very few new ones. I like the intro of Magnificent and the riff from Stand Up Comedy, but the rest it seems to be more of the same ( slow arpeggios with echo, power chords) typical Edge guitar playing. I found myself being bore listening to some track ( like MOS). UC would be ok if not for the chorus. I hate it. Being Born is quite good.

I agree that it doesn't seem to have a instant big hit track. But I am ok with it. Usually I get bored very quickly with U2 's greatest hits.

Anyway, I will have to listen a lot more to have a better opinion, but I can definitely said that this is not going to be my favorite album . Maybe will be in my top 5.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Hey I just stopped by to take a peek in here..............it's all kinda dark and cold and spooky................like some alternative reality where NLOTH actually sucks!! :sad:

Arent any of the non-fans, sick of being able to memorize a U2 single after 2 or 3 listens because its overly polished and compartmentalized? for me thats the boring part, and if you expected an achtung, well keep dreaming cause it will never happen again, ever

Some IMHO's

The songs may not be stadiumfillers but at least there is someting happening and it is sort of a new diretion

After the midlifecrisis toiletresult called HTDAAB this is a wondrfull piece of work

Bono sounds like he had fun again and his voice is thin but very good

Edge is not on fire with the exception of 2-3 songs and has not been since a LONG time. He went from audible drivingforce to a bandmember which is not a good developement

larry is drumming again after a long holiday

Adam is cool

Eno is the man

pretty much, except for the eno part. Eno wouldve been better off not doing so much. and as i agree with the breath of fresh air you allude to that shouldnt make it ok to make less than stellar songs after writing for 2 years. the sound itself is fine but the songs arent there. none of these songs touch me and its because of the edge not being the driving force, like you said. it should always be the edge who makes the atmosphere with his guitar. if its not a bassline or drum part or vocal it should be a guitar and it should be edge's guitar. nothing else is necessary.

I spose it attracts me to the album even more that it isnt instantly accesible to most.

I am 99% certain it will be in my top 4 (AB, JT, TUF, NLOTH). I will wait a few months to order them, but it was previously:

TUF
AB
JT

Isn't it weird, given that I like TUF more than AB, it seems I like this new album more than TUF, but im not sure if I like it more than AB.... Does that make ANY sense?

Not sure if this has been done, but:
Why did Bono LIE about this being a good album?

(I liked it, BTW.)

Just had my first listen and although I know I probably can't judge it after only one listening session I didn't like it at all this fist time. There is too much Eno/Passengers in this album. The best parts of the songs for me were mostly the endings, which is a bad sign for me. The best albums for me are always the ones that have to grow on me but another bad sign is that unlike with good albums in the past it now seems as if there are no parts that I really instantly like and compel me to listen to again. Ofcourse there are very good parts in many of the songs but they are now often ruined by things that come after these parts.

I hope it'll grow on me but for now I don't like the many whoohoohoo's of Bono, they come back in too many songs. I also don't like the depressing "Pink Floyd style" backing vocals thoughout the album. And although Edge's guitar work is present a lot (which I appreciate a lot) it has the same style and "voicing" throughout the album and thus can't really keep me surprised throughout, like it does on Achtung Baby where you can hear a real creative genius at work. It just misses the "X Factor" and doesn't sound inspired here.

Overall the album has a very heavy "forcing" atmosphere. The soundquality doesn't help in this area either. I thought/hoped this time it would be better than the average U2 album but the sound quality is the thing that disappoints me the most...to me it really sucks!! The overal sound is much too dense and heavy, compressed like hell. The bass is much too thick, voices sound suppressed and covered in veils and hi-hats sound like they were pulled through at leased three of the old Dolby noise suppressor filters that we used to have on our old tapedecks in a row! I also don't think there is a real purpose or reason to sound this way. It's just very unnatural, "over-produced", forced and low-fi.

For me it is a real album though, unlike for example Zooropa, seen in a way that the songs really belong together. Although Get on your boots and Cedars of Lebanon sound somewhat different, all the other songs give me the sense of being part of a whole.

I really, really hope I turn out to be wrong in my (now partly subconsious formed) feeling/opinion that for me it sucks. Not because of other people but because I really want to enjoy a good U2 album again and was really expecting and waiting for another masterpiece like Achtung Baby.

My U2 album top three for now stays the same:

Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Unforgettable Fire

This is really well articulated and close to my initial impression. Having plugged in a set of earphones though Magnificent and MOS sound much better.
Hmm...

Hi everyone,

I've been a fan of U2 for 26 years, was luck enough at 12 to see the War tour. I haven't gotten to post on here the past few years but I'm excited to connect with U2 fanatics again. I have a HUGE question for anyone who has listened to the beach clips? Where are those songs on this album? I've only listened once so far but 2 songs I loved (One I thought was Moment of Surrender and the other was a great piano song). Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If these 2 songs didn't make the album I'd be extremely disappointed. Any light anyone can shed on this would be great.

Thanks,

Dean

This is the greatest album in the history of sound. Anyone who disagrees, there must be something wrong with you. Now, would anyone care to join me for a drink?
koolaidlarge.jpg

ur right it was walkon, my mistake, though u probably agreed didnt you?

What would be so wrong if he agreed? Dude, why do you care what my opinion is? If you don't like a thread, why are you in it? Shouldn't you be in a happy thread talking about how this album is going to part the heavens and then scream angrily at anyone who disagrees?

Oops.....IMHO.

Arent any of the non-fans, sick of being able to memorize a U2 single after 2 or 3 listens because its overly polished and compartmentalized? for me thats the boring part, and if you expected an achtung, well keep dreaming cause it will never happen again, ever

Why can't it happen? It happened with The Unforgettable Fire. It happened with The Joshua Tree. Then came Achtung Baby. They've made huge leaps and bounds before. They should be able to do it again. They need to do it again.

It is quite funny to see how people can't even let a guy like ScandalCrow vent his disappointment with the album in a thread dedicated to that very same purpose, without attacking him violently and calling him a troll. Isn't it more appropriate to say that it is actually the album lovers that are trolling THIS thread?

Oh, come on. Nobody posts that many times and that provocatively if they:
A.) Aren't enjoying themselves
and
B.) Aren't HOPING people will respond strongly.

He's not getting trolled. He's getting exactly what he wants.

I was a huge REM fan up until Up. I used to post on Murmers and other boards.
Once I realized I didn't like their newer music I bugged out. I didn't spend countless hours and hundreds of posts m-fing their music and telling members who did love those songs that they were stupid or fooling themselves. I just left.

Oh, come on. Nobody posts that many times and that provocatively if they:
A.) Aren't enjoying themselves
and
B.) Aren't HOPING people will respond strongly.

He's not getting trolled. He's getting exactly what he wants.

I was a huge REM fan up until Up. I used to post on Murmers and other boards.
Once I realized I didn't like their newer music I bugged out. I didn't spend countless hours and hundreds of posts m-fing their music and telling members who did love those songs that they were stupid or fooling themselves. I just left.

You ScandalCrow haters are giving me a god complex! Apparently I have some super power that makes me in control of other posters emotions and ability to ignore me if they don't like what I say!

If you can't handle the Scandal....Don't pay any attention to me! It's that easy.

By the way....I quit listening to R.E.M. after Automatic For The People.

Someone needs to go to Murmers and tell them how bad their last
few albums have been. They need the benefit of your wisdown more than we do. After what, 50 or 60 posts in this thread alone I think we've got a good idea of where you stand on the new album. Go hit up the REM fans. I'll meet you there. Don't bother to wait for me. I'll get their eventually. bye! :wave:

Someone needs to go to Murmers and tell them how bad their last
few albums have been. They need the benefit of your wisdown more than we do. After what, 50 or 60 posts in this thread alone I think we've got a good idea of where you stand on the new album. Go hit up the REM fans. I'll meet you there. Don't bother to wait for me. I'll get their eventually. bye! :wave:

But I'm not done venting yet!

I'll Go Crazy....

The Vocal melody in the verse is laughable when Bono hits those high notes. The he sings Baby Baby Baby again.....It was a stretch to hear that in Ultraviolet...But it worked in that song.

And the last thing is....and I can't remember what song it is....But the guitar at the beginning is a TOTAL rip on this from the 80's. Journey?? I can't remember what song it is....But it rips it off BIG TIME!

If anyone knows what song I'm talking about....please remind me of the title. Rick Springfield tune maybe? ARGGGGHHH!!! I'll lose sleep over this one!

But I'm not done venting yet!

I'll Go Crazy....

The Vocal melody in the verse is laughable when Bono hits those high notes. The he sings Baby Baby Baby again.....It was a stretch to hear that in Ultraviolet...But it worked in that song.

And the last thing is....and I can't remember what song it is....But the guitar at the beginning is a TOTAL rip on this from the 80's. Journey?? I can't remember what song it is....But it rips it off BIG TIME!

If anyone knows what song I'm talking about....please remind me of the title. Rick Springfield tune maybe? ARGGGGHHH!!! I'll lose sleep over this one!

You're quoting the chord progression from Journey's "Faithfully", and no it's not the same. That's, I believe got an Em. This is jumping between harmonics on A/D, if I'm hearing it right.......

And that's a bit harsh. :hmm:

You're quoting the chord progression from Journey's "Faithfully", and no it's not the same. That's, I believe got an Em. This is jumping between harmonics on A/D, if I'm hearing it right.......

And that's a bit harsh. :hmm:

Thats it! Right on! But seriously.....I challenge anyone to say that the guitar at the beginning of I'll Go Crazy is not a direct ripoff of the piano in "Faithfully" by Journey. It's the exact same thing.

Back
Top Bottom