The Hands That Built America - RATE IT!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate it.

Votes: 6 6.5%

Votes: 17 18.3%

Votes: 23 24.7%

Votes: 23 24.7%

Votes: 8 8.6%

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Now that mostly all of us have heard it, what do you think of the other new song. The ratings are from one to ten. For clarity, 10 is where you'd put you're all time best U2 song(s) and 1 would be your least favorite U2 song(s.)

Anyway, I give THTBA a 6. Interesting melody, with a very classic U2/Edge sound. I think it fits better on a U2 90's compilation then the ATYCLB songs. But, it's a little over the top for my taste.

I gave it a 7. I like the sound of it, very U2ey very in the vein Electrical Storm was in. It's a movie song so I was a little lienant in the voting.

I loveeee Bono's singing on this song. No beefs at all, I love it. The way he says "America" is great. I love the rhymes of "come" and "canyon."

I hate some of the end line rhymes "line" and "line" obviously rhyme since they're the same words. :| a few sentances are too short IMO and he could have added to it..

well a 7 seems a bit too lienant but I liked it much more than ES upon first hearing.. and I've only been with the song for two days (about 8 listens) so..

cool thread tho Em! :wave:

I love it! There was some debate somewhere in Interland as to who was singing the operatic part of the song - there are no additional vocal credits so I think we have to assume it's Bono - not sure if I particularly like that bit of the song, but it is kind of cool.

I would say 8. It's definitely a great U2 song...might even become known as one of their "classics" in the future.

i gave it a 7. it's my lucky number, i thought it was a good, middle-of-the-road number to rate it. it's like in the middle of the middle (5) and perfect (10), which is pretty much how i'd rate it.

given that it's the highest voted number so far, i guess a lot of people think something similar. :D

I gave it a 8...moody piece, love it but you kinda have to be in the right "frame of mind" to listen to it...still, I think it was well done, great tune.

I gave it a 10. Within one time of listening to it, it become one of my favourite songs.

The melody is great, the lyrics are wonderful, Bono's voice could have been a bit more emotional, but it is great the way it is. I love it.

I gave it a 3. The vocals hurt my ears. I'm not sure why but it really annoys me. But I LOVE Electrical Storm.

I gave it a 4. Too cheesy for my tastes right now. Maybe with a few more listens it could move up. I'm far more impressed with ES.

I gave it a 7 and that was being quite generous. The lyrics are great. The piano intro is the strongest part musically. Unfortunately, the music onwards sounds rather like generic soundtrack-type music. The Ground Beneath Her Feet was a much better soundtrack song.

It's an okay song, but somebody needs to slap William Orbit around a bit. That guy doesn't go well with U2.

bonosloveslave said:
I love it! There was some debate somewhere in Interland as to who was singing the operatic part of the song - there are no additional vocal credits so I think we have to assume it's Bono - not sure if I particularly like that bit of the song, but it is kind of cool.

I think that operatic part could be Bono paying tribute to his father. I don't know why. Maybe it's because Bono has been quoted in saying that his dad was an opera fan... Who knows?

Oh yeah... I gave it an 8.

-[z]-

I gave this song a 9. The chord arrangment is vintage U2, and the vocals are Bono at his best. The way he sustains the note during the word "spray" is incredible. Vocally, very much like the Unforgettable Fire period in that respect (often considered Bono's prime era in terms of sheer might).

The piano, as mentioned, is haunting, as is the acoustic arrangment that accompanies it. It is a soundtrack song, so when rating it I brought that into context.

Lyrically, this song is Bono at his most passionate, at his most romantic and, in that respect, at his most daring as well. Poetically, Bono's pen has never been more precise, while at the same time dipping in such thick ink and using such broad strokes. (with the exception of 'One'). That alone makes this song a classic.

I gave it a 5

God where were all you people when everyone was ranting and raving about how GREAT this song was and I felt like I was the only one that didnt think it was all that great.

:reject:

Re: I gave it a 5

Sicy said:
God where were all you people when everyone was ranting and raving about how GREAT this song was and I felt like I was the only one that didnt think it was all that great.

:reject:
Well, Sicy, most of the people here do think it's GREAT. Just check the poll. Most people are giving it an 8 out of 10. ;)

I blocked my ears

I haven't heard it yet.
they were playing the "best of..CD" in the shopping centre yesterday and I knew it was U2, a song I was unfamiliar with,,so I quickened my pace and got out of there.
I want to hear it first on good speakers, in nice surrounds and in it's entirety.
Always something to look forward too.
thay had sold out of Elevation DVDs. i was that close to hitting the plastic, just as well.
the "best of " is available for 3 prices in Grafton
$36, $40 and $45....Buckley's is the dearest...of course!!! me and my ethics:(
I am going to rent the rattle and Hum DVD this weekend
:lol: they don't have "elevation " at the video store.

What is the correct title of the Boston DVD? I met a nice young fellow at Big W yesterday. He was the one who put the U2 concert DVD on in the store when it was released. ( the day I almost got the folding chair from thegardening section and sat down to watch the U2 concert in Big W...so tempted I was) He told me yesterday he got into trouble for putting it on...eeeeeeewhaaaaaaaa:lol: His sister LOVES U2!! they're everywhere these day...cool.
So I wait...i may go to see the movie, I like Daniel Day -Lewis.

I would give it about a 7 right now. It doesn't really grab me like Electrical Storm, but perhaps that will change in time. It songs kind of like an Irish folk song or something to my ears. Not that that is a bad thing, but I was hoping for something a little more upbeat. It sounds like it will fit perfectly into the theme of the movie, but if I was picking the track selection, I would probably put it on the B-sides disc, and on the 1st disc put TGBHF in it's place, that songs deserves to be heard by more people...Perhaps it will be on the BO 2000-2010 if that ever happens.

Man.........I gave it a 9. This track is definitely a grower........I've been spending too much time driving with my new U2 album and I'm loving this HANDS THAT...... track, way more so than ES. I got that feeling in my belly that I get when I hear an instant U2 classic. I also love the lyrics.........paints a great picture of the pain and passion that drove so many immigrants to the States....Maybe it's the Irish in me but I doubt I'm gonna tire of this track......

Amen......

allcub said:
Man.........I gave it a 9. This track is definitely a grower........I've been spending too much time driving with my new U2 album and I'm loving this HANDS THAT...... track, way more so than ES. I got that feeling in my belly that I get when I hear an instant U2 classic. I also love the lyrics.........paints a great picture of the pain and passion that drove so many immigrants to the States....Maybe it's the Irish in me but I doubt I'm gonna tire of this track......

Amen......

Y'see ... that right there is Rock 'N Roll... Amen to you, brother. Hallelujah, here she comes...

-[z]-

I need to post in here more often, I much enjoy reading discussions such as this....

Anyway, I had my mouse hovering on the 8, then I moved up to 9. I really, REALLY like this song. When I have to walk somewhere for a long time, I listen to it full volume on repeat. I understand some people think it's cheesy, and know it's not even about Sept. 11, but it still makes me really sad. I wasn't in NYC on that day as I know some people here were, but I went their for a service project shortly afterwards and I'll never forget what it was like there. I always appreciate a song that can make me actually FEEL something, even if it is a sad feeling. I don't really know how to explain it, sorry. I think the lyrics are great, especially that line "Innocence dragged across a yellow line" Bono's lyrics always give me images I never would've thought of. My only negetive critique is that after Bono's amazing operatic section, the end of the song seems a little anti-climactic. But I STILL LOVE IT!!!

Back
Top Bottom