The Green Day folks were a bit pissed off last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Just browsing some other music forums and several Green Day sites contain threads that are quite hostile toward our boys.

I suppose this is to be expected, but Bono gave Green Day and others more than a fair shout during the acceptance speech. (Personally, I really like Green Day, but that's another discussion.)

Still, I find it funny:

"They're so old, they need to give it up."

"That guy Bono is a pretentious windbag."

"The same sound for 30 years and they keep winning...shows how dated the Grammy organization is."

All these quotes just make me smile. It' so much fun to be #1 and see the perpetual jealousy.

Last edited:
I love people who say U2 has had the same sound for 30 years..

play them Sunday Bloody Sunday, then Lemon, then Love and Peace or Else and then MOFO and watch them start to make up tons of other excuses...

All that Green Day deserve is a big steaming shit that perfectly represents their so-called music. Glad to see U2 beat them. Very glad.

I was personally very pleased to see Green Day glued to their seats and being the gentlemen Bono is he was very gracious towards them what more do you want?

I don't get this rivalry between Green Day and U2. Isn't it possible to like both bands? :scratch:

And don't the bands themselves like each *other*? (Bono has said many positive things about Green Day and vice versa). I agree - it was very gracious of Bono to give them a shout-out during U2's own acceptance speech.

Last edited:
Nerfherder said:
I don't get this rivalry between Green Day and U2. Isn't it possible to like both bands? :scratch:

And don't the bands themselves like each *other*? (Bono has said many positive things about Green Day and vice versa). I agree - it was very gracious of Bono to give them a shout-out during U2's own acceptance speech.

yeah, I don't get it either... After American Idiot... Green Day has probably squeaked their way up to being my 3rd or so favourite band, and all this bickering is lost on me

Nerfherder said:

Rivalry? Green Day are so far below U2's level that the only time there's any rivalry is at award shows like the Grammy's that force together bands that are totally different.

And here, I see plenty of people who like Green Day. I seem to be one of the few haters.

Zoocoustic said:
It' so much fun to be #1 and see the perpetual jealousy.

WE are not #1--U2 are. Enjoying and admiring someone else's successes doesn't make you successful by association.

Green Day at least have the nomination to their name, which is more than anyone here will ever earn.

There are plenty of insults about Green Day posted on this site, and many are more crass and hostile than the quotes about U2 you posted.

Re: Re: The Green Day folks were a bit pissed off last night...

yolland said:

WE are not #1--U2 are. Enjoying and admiring someone else's successes doesn't make you successful by association.

Green Day at least have the nomination to their name, which is more than anyone here will ever earn.

There are plenty of insults about Green Day posted on this site, and many are more crass and hostile than the quotes about U2 you posted.

Exactly. I was just going to say the quotes from the Green Day forums about U2 sound a lot like the comments about Green Day (and others) on this site. Assholes on every site, I guess. :wink:

Zoocoustic said:
"The same sound for 30 years and they keep winning...shows how dated the Grammy organization is."

Shows how much of U2's music they know.

If they don't like who won, tough luck. It would make a lot more sense to complain at the Grammy organisation though.

Right, and American Idiot doesn't sound like Green day at all.

Their fans could show some respect for someone who's had objectively, a better, bigger and longer career, and last but not least, praised them at the acceptance speech.

Last edited:
korczykp said:

play them Sunday Bloody Sunday, then Lemon, then Love and Peace or Else and then MOFO and watch them start to make up tons of other excuses...

Yeah, really, and add One and I Will Follow! Anytime I hear someone say that it only shows how much they don't know about U2!

I love "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". It inspired one of my paintings (sorry, it's not on my site yet). I have "Dookie" as well. But Green Day is no U2. These particular fans are just acting like :censored:holes and showing they don't know anything about U2. Yeah, like "I Will Follow", "Gloria", "Surrender", "Pride", "One", "Dirty Day", "Gone" , "Walk On", and "Love and Peace or Else" all sound alike.
Bull:censored:.

korczykp said:

thats hilarious because thats how my sister in law's attitude was until i played her gloria, mofo and vertigo back to back to back and that kept her quiet :)

Re: Re: The Green Day folks were a bit pissed off last night...

U2girl said:

Shows how much of U2's music they know.

I was just about to say that :)

All respect to Green Day as a band and all, but I venture to say (and well, assume) that the average age of people posting there is around 15-18 who also love Blink 182 and My Chemical Romance (who are not technically punk, I know). Not necessarily an age group who probably knows about U2, or has alot of exposure to them. Whereas U2 has fans that have grown with them as a band, and can see Green Day's career in perspective. Green Day still have plenty of mileage and time to make another fantastic album. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: The Green Day folks were a bit pissed off last night...

HelloAngel said:

I was just about to say that :)

All respect to Green Day as a band and all, but I venture to say (and well, assume) that the average age of people posting there is around 15-18 who also love Blink 182 and My Chemical Romance (who are not technically punk, I know). Not necessarily an age group who probably knows about U2, or has alot of exposure to them. Whereas U2 has fans that have grown with them as a band, and can see Green Day's career in perspective. Green Day still have plenty of mileage and time to make another fantastic album. :shrug:

Wise words... I wish I could come up with theories like this one. :drool:

What's with the Green Day singer's fake British accent when he sings???

What a bunch of crap!

Well, I really think the American Idiot should have won the Album of the Year. Yeah, Ray Charles is a genius but that album was not nearly his best work.

As for U2, Green Day are big fans so what's the problem? Would highly recommend this link to stereogum for all your viewing pleasure.
http://www.stereogum.com/archives/001237.html

I like Green Day. I like their music. But lose the eye shadow dude. :no:

I must be getting old.:D

sharky said:
Well, I really think the American Idiot should have won the Album of the Year. Yeah, Ray Charles is a genius but that album was not nearly his best work.

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/001237.html

Ray Charles won because he was dead. End of story. This happens over and over and over again. Someone dies,or is really old and does something different and is regarded as a genius and everyone fawns over their works even though no one really gave a rat's ass while they were alive.

Don't get me wrong. Ray Charles was a great talent but he was not on the tip of everyone's tongue until he died and the movie came out.

Society did this with Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash and we will do it for Tony Bennett, Loretta Lynn and so on and so on, it's just they way things work.

Jeez, that was cynical.:wink:

You see the theory about the young uns liking crappy music is unfounded, I seem to be one of the many exceptions to this, I really don't see how you can hate U2 and love Greenday or vice versa, I appreciate a good song, whoever it's by, I just don't get the way alot of other people think:wink:

I was pissed too. Green Day deserved Album of the Year. If U2 put out an album as good/challenging/as-well-thought-out as American Idiot, we would all be fucking drooling and slobbering all over ourselves.

Green Day losing to Ray Charles was almost as bad as U2 losing to the sound track for "O Brother Where Art Thou". What a travesy that was...

That still pisses me off. And so did the Edge, at the time, when he stood up and applauded. I thought that was very phony...

Nerfherder said:

I like both bands.

However, I find the comments about U2 "sounding the same" absolutely ridiculous. No offense to anyone, but if anyone "sounds the same" it's Green Day. "American Idiot" sounds a LOT like "Dookie", IMO. This isn't a bad thing, but one can't accuse U2 of sounding the same and not Green Day.

Still, I really thought this was Green Day's year - especially for all the "rock" categories. Even Bono was surprised by the victory. As such, I can understand some Green Day fans being irate. But the band did take home a Grammy for Best Rock album, which is a respected win. :yes:

before some of you continue calling the green day fans who blasted u2 for winning that grammy "immature," perhaps you should go back to the grammy thread here on interference and look at all the bitching and moaning going on here because u2 didn't get a standing ovation after "sometimes..."

:shrug: when your guys don't win, of course you're gonna whine... who cares.

If I was a Green Day fan, I'd definitely be pissed too, but more at the Academy for being so dated in places. I love U2, but I feel that they were handed the Grammy just like Ray Charles was. Which isn't to say that I don't disagree with Green Day fans who say odd things about U2 like "they sound the same" or "Bono's a pretentious windbag." My comments above were more directed at Green Day fans who insult U2 who might not be as familiar with U2 as U2 fans might be with Green Day. I dunno. I'm not sure I have a point here anymore. :huh:

Green Day plays power chords. Of course they sound catchy. U2 is a more talented band any day of the week. Although their drummer is very talented, it is easier to play to their predictable guitars. Green Day tried to cash in on the Emo scene and they did it... Congratu-fuckin-lations! That won't win you a Grammy, however.
Don't get me wrong, I own four Green Day cd's myself. It's just hard to take their music too seriously with their careers of making money off of hopelessly depressed teenagers with their unoriginal lyrics about unrequited love, drug abuse, and masturbation. Green Day will not be remembered like U2. Green Day is capable of capturing a sound of a time, but U2 is a timeless sound. I think you know what I mean...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom