The Green Day folks were a bit pissed off last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reggie Thee Dog said:
I like Green Day...I LOVE U2!!

My sentiments exactly! *G* I like a lot of other bands (Franz Ferdinand, etc. etc.) but U2 will always, always, always be #1 for me. As for Green Day and U2, to me, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

:shrug:

I enjoy Billy Joe's power chord riff work. He's a great guitarist in terms of what he does IMO. I think the rhythm section for Green Day has always been great too. So musically they're fine in my book.

IMO, lyrically, Billy Joe's always been a pretty good lyricist. To say Bono's ATYCLB/ HTDAAB era lyrics are "definitely better" is sort of like :huh: to me.

Flying FuManchu said:
I enjoy Billy Joe's power chord riff work. He's a great guitarist in terms of what he does IMO. I think the rhythm section for Green Day has always been great too. So musically they're fine in my book.

IMO, lyrically, Billy Joe's always been a pretty good lyricist. To say Bono's ATYCLB/ HTDAAB era lyrics are "definitely better" is sort of like :huh: to me.

I agree. I think Billy Joe, especially from Nimrod on, has been more than pretty good. But for what they were doing on 39/Smooth through Insomniac, it worked fine.

But songs like "Church on Sunday," "Misery" (Great great great storytelling), "Scattered Pictures," "Macy's Day Parade," "Jesus of Surburbia," and "Give Me Novacaine," I think he really shows tremendous growth. He's not terribly complex, but he rarely falls short of what he's going for.

indra said:

I have some very fond memories of eyelinered guys... :wink: And there's been some damned fine music from some guys in eyeliner too.

Yeah, there has been. That's what I'm saying. Why disregard someone's music because of makeup? :scratch:

I like Billie Joes eyeliner. He wears it well. Not everyone can say that..seems to fit his persona. :wink:
I love this album and am really interested in hearing their other albums and that says alot when it makes me want to hear what else the've done besides what I've heard on the radio, vh1, etc..

and..me liking them doesn't have anything to do with U2 except there are a few similarities in their respective histories.
There is a good article on Green Day in the latest issue of Rolling Stone. :yes:

Of couse I've never had to go back to U2. I've always been with them. :heart:

I don't have an issue with makeup on a band. Sheesh, I grew up in the '80s, everyone wore make-up...Motley Crue, Ratt, Kiss, etc.

I don't think it detracts from their music, Green Day has some great songs.

He never wore it before this album and then boom, eyeliner. I am not gay nor a female so it ain't sexy to me. I just don't get it , which is why I said maybe I'm growing old.:wink:

Even though American Idiot is the least complex song on that album, it still beats Vertigo any day! Even the AI video is better than watching Bono's ridiculous poses and overblown special effects in the Vertigo video. I cringe everytime I even think about that awful Stuck In A Moment video with Bono swaying all over the place. Now, the one for Beautiful Day was so much better and probably the last good video.

Vetigo is a better song than American Idiot. I don't really see how Green Day got screwed other than they should have been nominated for Blvd. of Broken Dreams.
Had that been the case I think Green Day would have won for Rock Song.

They did win for Rock Album and I agree with that. I think even if HTDAAB would have been eligble Green Day still would have taken the award.

I love U2. Always have, always will, and I think Bomb is great. But American Idiot really made an impression on me and I hope it is a sign of more good stuff to come from Green Day.

And really as for Green Day being robbed, blame that on Ray Charles.

glenn said:

Because it's very hard to take them seriously.

You are kidding aren't you?

I mean, honestly honey, take a look at some of the stuff U2 wears and tell me how seriously they should be taken. Some of their attire is positively cringeworthy.

eyeliner is just old school punk rock fashion. mike ness from social distortion used to wear it waay back in the early 80's.

david said:
eyeliner is just old school punk rock fashion. .

Thanks David, that makes sense to me.

BTW, does anyone else think it must suck to be that 4th guy on the stage with Green Day playing your ass off and no one knowing who you are. He is the token touring guitar player. :wink:

glenn said:
Because it's very hard to take them seriously.

Bono dressed up like Macphisto, and his face was caked in makeup when he wore that disguise. And yet they still have respect from the general public, and their early 90s period is still highly regarded as one of their crowning moments in their history.

Yeah. I don't give a damn if a band wants to wear makeup-if the music's good, that's all that matters to me (heh, and hey, I think some people here will agree that Kiss looked ten times better withtheir makeup than without it :p).

Angela

There's a rivalry?

In the Feb 11, 2005 issue of Entertainment Weekly (the one with Green Day on the cover) and one of the band members is quoted as saying: "I look at a band like U2 that started out more or less as a punk band ut kept expanding and wound up being one of the biggest bands in the world. And I think it's okay to want that" -- That doesn't sound like something someone would say if there was any rivalry...

I think any rivalry that exists, exists purely between the fans who may support one band more than another...

(I just happen to favor U2 , heh heh :wink: )

(BTW, that Entertainment Weekly also includes a short little interview with Kings of Leon...)

david said:
eyeliner is just old school punk rock fashion. mike ness from social distortion used to wear it waay back in the early 80's.

Just about everyone wore it in the early 80's. :yes:

trevster2k said:

BTW, does anyone else think it must suck to be that 4th guy on the stage with Green Day playing your ass off and no one knowing who you are. He is the token touring guitar player. :wink:

At least he's not behind the curtain. Wouldn't that suck. :|

The difference between MacPhisto and the Green Day twit is that while MacPhisto was an intelligent satire, the Green Day guy's not trying to make any intelligent point at all.

Axver said:
The difference between MacPhisto and the Green Day twit is that while MacPhisto was an intelligent satire, the Green Day guy's not trying to make any intelligent point at all.

Maybe he just has pretty eyes. :wink:

Don't knock the eyeliner anymore folks, or we'll have to bring up the mullet! :madspit:

I love Green Day. They're from my town, Berkeley, California, and they're really cool guys. I bumped into their drummer, Tre Cool, at a Strokes show in San Francisco a couple of months ago, and he was really nice and down to earth.

I'm glad U2 and Green Day are big fans of each other. Both know the power of punk.

a friend of mine told me a couple nights ago that green day changed our generation. i had to laugh. they're alright for what they are, but i honestly don't get the hype.

but hey, what do i know? :)

korczykp said:
I love people who say U2 has had the same sound for 30 years..

play them Sunday Bloody Sunday, then Lemon, then Love and Peace or Else and then MOFO and watch them start to make up tons of other excuses...

No one can argue around this point. The truth, in ten years, has Green Day changed much of their sound? Yes, no, maybe.

trevster2k said:

Thanks David, that makes sense to me.

Awesome observation! I was thinking the same thought!

I think Green Day should have won more than one Grammy because, unlike U2, their current album won’t be around next year. U2 have a commercial and artistic longevity per album not present in Green Day or most other bands. All That You Can’t Leave Behind was still receiving nominations three years after its release (live performance for “Walk On” on the 9/11 album)! Next year, when How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is fully eligible for Grammy nominations, U2 will be making numerous trips to the podium!

Green Day should have been given their deserved attention; however, I can’t complain about U2’s successes!

Back
Top Bottom