The Greatest Hits Invasion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
It seems that the holidays are making every artist release a Greatest Hits album. Some of them are good and deserve it, like:

The Cure
Madonna
Pink Floyd

But some other ones?

Backstreet Boys
Sting - don't get me wrong, he is great, but doesn't he have like a zillion 'Best of' albums out already?.

We need the second Best Of sometime soon!.

Just to clear one thing up--and this seems to be a very common misconception--Sting's new All This Time album is not a greatest hits. At least, I guess it is in a way, but it's actually a live album. It was a special concert recorded at his home in Tuscany with cool new arrangements of his songs. Sadly, the concert took place on Sept 11, just hours after the attacks, so the tone changed considerably. I think some of the tracks on the album may be from the dress rehearsal the previous day, but I'm not sure. I've seen this album described in many places as a greatest hits, I don't know why.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Well, live albums are sort of Greatest Hits-like.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sting and wish I can ever see him live.

Originally posted by U2@NYC:
Well, live albums are sort of Greatest Hits-like.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sting and wish I can ever see him live.

Yeah, I see your point. I watched this concert on the Net though and it was very cool. I've seen Sting twice and I loved both concerts but I wish he was just a little more spontaneous. This album will be good because some of the arrangements are amazingly different, but still great.

He played a free show in NYC recently! Wish I'd been there.

------------------
Talk without speaking

Barenaked Ladies just put one out, too. I think they deserve it though, if nothing else, to get some of their earlier work out there to people who have only heard "One Week" and "Pinch Me"

green day released a greatest hits album already.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Yeah, Green Day albums to date:

1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours(Combo of 2 EPs)

Kerplunk

Dookie

Insomniac

Nimrod

Warning

That's 6 albums, U2 took tracks from Boy, War, Unf. Fire, J. Tree, Rattle and Hum, and a hidden one from October... same # albums, so it's not too bad.

Not like say, BSB, with three to date

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
Barenaked Ladies just put one out, too. I think they deserve it though, if nothing else, to get some of their earlier work out there to people who have only heard "One Week" and "Pinch Me"

I agree. BNL (As their fans, of whom I know a few, refer to them as) seem to take a lot of flak here and other places for being crappy, throwaway and no good. But it must be noted that the have some really good songs.. Brian Wilson, The Old Apartment, Jane. The pattern is that most of them are rather old. I'm not personally very much liking their new stuff.

Smashing Pumpkins have a double-disc greatest hits coming out November 20th!

00453164.jpg

I want SNL's Mango to put out a Greatest Hits album...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

go buy madonna's new greatest hits album if you know what's good for you!
smile.gif

B00005Q66T.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

Just imagine.....
O-Town Greatest Hits vol.1: 2000-2001

At this rate, We can't be too far off.....can we?

------------------
Nate

"Ready for the shuffle
Ready for the deal
Ready to let go of the steering wheel
I'm ready
Ready for the crush"

-Zoo Station

Ok...get this....
Sammy Hagar has a greatest hits coming out!!!! sweet lord, is nothing sacred.

Go buy Echoes, the best of Pink Floyd! it's nothing short of one of the most amazing musical feasts I have ever partaken of!!! Epics like the 17 minute "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" or 16 minute "Echoes" are nearly perfection!! Amazing stuff...truely!!

Also, get that SP greatest hits coming out.!

------------------
If you take a drive, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat
If you talk a walk, I'll tax your feet
I'm the taxman!

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
Never , Never , Never , never , never
Worst Nightmare - Pink Floyd " THE BEST Of "
All these collections are good , but studio/live albums give much more .

It's a great listen though. The band handpicked the tracks, and merged them all into two huge 1-disc tracks. They flow perfectly and make a great album "experience"

Originally posted by Basstrap:
16 minute "Echoes" are nearly perfection!!

That song in it's original form is like 22 min. Did they edit out the "windy" section in the middle of the track?

hehe,
I was about to mention that one lazy

how many albums have they got (except for the greatest hits one) anyway? -- 2 ?!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 11-14-2001).]

Originally posted by Basstrap:
Ok...get this....
Sammy Hagar has a greatest hits coming out!!!! sweet lord, is nothing sacred.

He's already had one or two. Sammy is a dork but I have a little soft spot for him. I like him better than David Lee Roth, who is possibly the most annoying human being on the face of the earth.

------------------
Talk without speaking

Madonna's second greatest hits album is only remixes of the songs, it is not the oringnal studio versions. I listened to it online yeaterday. Some of the remixes are ok, like for Secret and Human Nature, but others are deadly. They totally butchered the song Erotica on there.

Originally posted by Salome:
hehe,
I was about to mention that one lazy

how many albums have they got (except for the greatest hits one) anyway? -- 2 ?!

Hmmm, 2 including the Greatest I thought
confused.gif
cause they all sound THE BLOODY SAME!!
I think it is 3, can't remember, don't wanna, like bad stuff you try to forget, bland as a rice cake they are!

Back
Top Bottom