The goodness of Wire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
This song totally rocks! I am not expecting to hear it live on the next tour... ever... but I still just wanted to post my enthusiasm towards it. The outro is pure genius!
What are y'alls thoughts on this song? Is it the showcase of The Unforgettable Fire? Or is it itself unforgettable?

:drool:

I think the song is brilliant but there are just so many brilliant songs on that album (Bad, Pride, Unforgettable Fire). :up:

Useless fact -

Did you know Wire was used on Miami Vice for a car chase sequence? :yes:

That blew my mind when I was watching Miami Vice way back then.

By the way, one of the coolest U2 guitar intros EVER!:up:

Last edited:
I don't think that it's the best song on UF, but it is up there. I remember when I heard that song for the first time, the intro grabbed me immediatly. It is such a powerful song, and the music drives it with such an urgancy. And the lyrics at the end:

I give you hope
Here's the rope
Here's the rope
Now...swing away

That always gives me chills.

Wire is one of my favorite U2-guitar songs. It really has that Edge sound and feel on it. And I love the rough sound of Bono's voice. It's a great driving tune, heh. I think I have it on all of my U2 mix CD's.

This rocks especially on some of the UF bootlegs I have, I love bonos screech at the beginning!

I only found out that theres a dub mix of this around that was originally on an NME magazine 7 inch.

Im posting a request in the mp3 section now!!:drool:

I don't know why, but Wire has always scared me a little. I remember reading an interview Bono did sometime between UF and JT where he says he "did give into some rock and roll excesses" in that period. It may have been with Bill Flanagan, I don't know. But maybe becuase of the man/woman "chorus" at the end (just after Bono goes, "Kiss me"), or the lyrics "Cold these eyes I can't believe it..so deep inside her, cold fire" (maybe? This is one of those "Irish accent" things where you misinterpret the lyrics I've had so much fun with over the yrs) the song to me has an undeniable air of sexual menace. Bono's comments in Time in 87 about "when she's at home, I'm not at home. When I'm home, she's not at home" etc.

I always have a mental image during this song of Bono and Ali running into each other in their "little round tower" of the period...just opening 2 opposite doors and just standing there and staring at each other, and their bed nearby...they haven't seen each other in days...it's night and there's a wind blowing the curtains and blue shadows ripple along the wall, and something unspoken crackling in the air. Some undercurrent of anger , which can only end in sexual confrontation. (I've learned much of relationships since then!)WOWY may have also been born out of this. Anybody ever just THINK about the lyrics of WOWY? Spooky at one level huh?

What amazes me is that Bono can see so much into how relationships go bad in so many tunes, and how his remains prabably the strongest in show biz. Marriage is always something you have to work at, but how he can capture frustration and occasionally a sense of despair. It couldn't all be Edge's life over the yrs!

Last edited:
Teta040 said:

I always have a mental image during this song of Bono and Ali running into each other in their "little round tower" of the period...just opening 2 opposite doors and just standing there and staring at each other, and their bed nearby...they haven't seen each other in days...it's night and there's a wind blowing the curtains and blue shadows ripple along the wall, and something unspoken crackling in the air. Some undercurrent of anger , which can only end in sexual confrontation. (I've learned much of relationships since then!)WOWY may have also been born out of this. Anybody ever just THINK about the lyrics of WOWY? Spooky at one level huh?

:uhoh:

I don't like Wire, I never have. I don't really know why. I just don't think it compares to the two songs it is sandwiched between.

But I adore The Unforgettable Fire as an album.

Back
Top Bottom