The Globe and Mail sucks!!! Read this:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
This article was in todays Globe and Mail. It pisses me off. Maybe I read it wrong, but the impression I got was, it's ok to be a rock star, but not ok to be a rock star with a brain. Grrrr
mad.gif

*give me a minute

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 02-04-2002).]

Is this it?

NEW YORK -- He's topped the pop charts, is one of the richest entertainers on the planet and even played halftime at the Super Bowl yesterday. All that's left for Bono, it seems, is to turn himself into an international super-statesman.

In fact, U2's lead singer, his wraparound shades firmly in place, seems to be working on that too.

At the World Economic Forum in Manhattan, also known as Davos-on-the-Hudson, Bono has upstaged everyone from Bill Gates to Jean Chr?tien. In the hallways and conference rooms of the Waldorf-Astoria, where 3,000 of the world's political and economic elite have been meeting for the past five days, face time with Bono has become the rage in radical chic.

The rocker was literally mobbed for autographs by tycoons in $1,000 shoes. Politicians, including Canada's Prime Minister, clamoured for photo ops and dropped his name.

Bono is "a good friend of mine," U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy said, as he sat on a sofa in a hotel lobby. "He can meet with the Pope one day and with [conservative U.S. Senator] Jesse Helms on another."

Not to be outdone, U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill said he will be going on the road with his "good friend" to tour Africa next month. (They will be gauging poverty, not playing music.)

"I really believe if we all gather forces on this and we don't create easy bad guys and good guys on this, we can make progress," Bono told journalists, who wondered how it felt for the liberal singer to be hanging out with a bevy of billionaires, most of them conservative. "The great thing about hanging out with Republicans is that it's very unhip for both of us. There's a parity of pain here."

But there's pain for some of his fans, too. "It's like he suddenly wants to be the Secretary-General of the United Nations, or wants the Nobel Peace Prize or something," said Angela Christie, who was standing outside the Waldorf-Astoria, hoping to get a glimpse of Bono. "He should be cool and hang out with normal people, not these old guys who wouldn't even know one of his records."

Others watching the emergence of Bono as the star of the global forum, held mostly behind closed doors, wondered whether he was being used to add some pizzazz to the conference and make some of the politicians look more progressive than they really are. While nobody went so far as to say Bono had sold out, they did wonder whether he was being naive.

"I think Bono means well," Maude Barlow, chairwoman of the Council of Canadians, said in a telephone interview from Porto Alegre, Brazil. "But I think he's in over his head. I don't think he understands the politics he's dealing with. Bono seems to think that if he just kind of meets at a human level, they'll do the right thing."

Like tens of thousands of others protesting the march of globalization, Ms. Barlow was in Brazil for a conference called Another World Is Possible. She said protest groups decided that it would be "wrong and stupid" to cause upheaval in New York so soon after Sept. 11.

Instead, many opponents of globalization opted to travel to Brazil to organize such things as a worldwide coalition to stop the privatization of water.

"This is where Bono should be. Not in New York," Ms. Barlow said.

Bono, however, has clearly chosen to work on the other side of the police barricades. After years of frustrating efforts trying to push politicians into action on global poverty and programs to treat AIDS, the Roman Catholic rocker found he gained his first major audience after making a joint declaration with the Pope.

"It's more difficult than you might imagine to get attention for these issues," he said at a Saturday news conference, standing next to Mr. Gates. "I'm here with the 'pope' of software . . . to stir debate among people who come from such different backgrounds."

Trying to sweet-talk big business into social action, he met with the heads of drug companies such as Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. and Merck & Co., emerging with a friendly message.

"I don't think they [the big pharmaceutical companies] are the b?te noir that all my friends think," he said. "I think they need to make profits, we need to do research."

Outside the barricades, Ms. Christie was incredulous. "I think the movement has lost Bono," she said. "We'd better start calling up Sting."

[This message has been edited by Gina Marie (edited 02-04-2002).]

GM bit me to it.
smile.gif

--------------------------
But there's pain for some of his fans, too. "It's like he suddenly wants to be the Secretary-General of the United Nations, or wants the Nobel Peace Prize or something," said Angela Christie, who was standing outside the Waldorf-Astoria, hoping to get a glimpse of Bono. "He should be cool and hang out with normal people, not these old guys who wouldn't even know one of his records."
Can you say shallow?

[This message has been edited by NicaMom (edited 02-04-2002).]

LMAO guys!! Thanks!! It's Monday, apparently I am having problems with using modern technology.
icon24.gif

Ok, so who is this Angela Christie person? Is she some bitter fan, or what? I personally am proud of Bono, tackling such huge issues. It would not be an easy thing to do, to enter a room like that, my God, that takes balls of steal.
And for the record, I don't think the 'movement has lost Bono' in the least, I think he knows exactly what the hell he is talking about. At least he is trying to make a difference. If people want to make fun of that, so be it.

Those quotes of the fans are bullshit. I really respect all his work he is doing for third world countries. I don't think that Bono is doing it for the Nobel Peace Prize. I don't think he is doing this for personal gain. I don't think that Bono could gain anything more. He is the frontman of the biggest band in the world. Want more personal gain could he want? He is doing this to help other people. He really wants to help them, plain and simple.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

Maybe these people are just jealous cause Bono is trying to make a difference with things that they feel helpless about. Who knows. Either way, someone's got to stand up for things they believe in and I'd rather it was Bono than that Angela girl (a fan?? whatever! lol) or whatever schmuck wrote this article.

------------------
me in chat: Holy fecking mesh Batman!

"It's all about drums."

Proud owner of the mofoin Discoboos (boom cha!) and Larry's stick...hehe.

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

Ehhh... I don't know what to say. "hang out with the cool"??? WHat use does it make? And he IS cool doing this stuff.
And as far as I know, Bono himself, one person, has done more to the third world in a few years then all those help organizations have done in decades and that because he's cool, he has the guts to go in there and kick those high ministers in the butt and demand them to do something, in the right way...his way. Does the men he just sat in meetings with, that listened to him, even knows that organisation having a meeting in Brazil exist?

And that fan? She can't be a fan. If she were she would be proud to be fan of such an amazing and cool person. Bono might be naive but somehow people respect those who are and believe in what they are working for....

sorry for intruding but I think some of you are missing the point of the article. yes the quotes are useless and seem to only serve as contextualizing bono as a cartoon rock star with his own fans demeaning his work.

i will say i agree with all that bono does. but the point in the article that stands out for me is a concievably valid one and thus deserves attention: bono means well, to that no one will disagree(except for our shallow friend ms. christie, who i think should go home and eat a cookie
wink.gif
).

but would the movement bono is trying to assist with be better served if such star power were not, apparently, on the other side of the movement?

would he be able to effect more change if he were speaking with activists and working with them?

that is, in my opinion, the real question hidden withhin the article. it is also hard to deny(or prove for that matter) the articles only other real point, which is bono's image and presence is probably being used by politicians.

in my opinion both of these factors are fine. bono may very well effect great change in our world and i believe he is on the path on which that will be most likely.

we as fans must also remember to keep praise and accolades seperate from actual change, for if we get those two confused we become the enemies of change.

in my mind these are valid questions sadly buried within a silly and poorly written article.

------------------
i am ready to communicate with you

Well, leaving aside the snotty comments about "not understanding the politics he's dealing with" or whatever that quote was, (and personally I'd say it's a mistake to underestimate the intelligence of someone you've never held a conversation with), I'd say it basically comes down to the conflict over whether if you want to change something, you try to do it from outside or inside.

If there's an issue which concerns you enough to want to do something about it, there are really two ways to approach it: You could join a group which tries to convince politicians to take action on the issue in question, maybe by speaking to them directly or by having a public campaign and encouraging other people to contact politicians about the issue. You're staying out of the actual decision making process but you're trying to make the people who make those decisions realise that your issue deserve consideration.

Or else you could decide that you want to be involved in the actual decision making process. Maybe that's in the form of trying to get elected to an office which has reponsibility for the issue. Or by working for someone who has responsibility for the issue. Something which makes you actively involved in making something happen rather than convincing other people that it needs to happen and waiting for them to act.

So then you have the conflict over whether you stay outside of government etc and never have to compromise what you believe in or work with people who you disagree with. Or if you get involved in government (or any other formal structure) and maybe you can't always be as outspoken as you'd like to on the issues. Maybe you have to compromise. Or you have to work with someone whose politics you hate, without letting them know that you despise them
wink.gif
Well to some people that's compromising your integrity because you're becoming involved in institutions which you might not agree with or you're dealing with people you disagree with.

But which way is more likely to get results?

And just to make this vaguely relevant to that article, instead of a load of abstract ideas...

One of the people quoted there was basically suggesting Bono should have gone to the 'alternative' meeting in Brazil. But ask yourself, would he have got the same amount of publicity as he got for being at the WEF in New York? I'd suspect not. We've all seen how much news coverage this got, and hopefully it will have made more people aware of the issues, hopefully some of them will be inspired to take action about this. And secondly, I'm not saying this with any disrespect to the people who did attend the meeting in Brazil, but to be honest, the people who were at the WEF were the most influential people. One example: US Treasury Secretary, Paul O'Neill - we all know influential he is, just look at the power he has over the G7 countries to stop them increasing their overseas aid budgets and that's just one example. Think how great it would be to have someone that influential on your side, or any of the countless other influential people at the WEF.

So what I'm saying is that sometimes getting things done is about compromise, about working with people you don't agree with, being involved with organisations which you don't necessarily believe in. Some people are going to accuse you of selling out or compromising your integrity or whatever their choice insult of the day is. But at the end of the day, what's more important? What those people think of you, or what you manage to achieve for a cause you believe in?

:::shuts up::: Sorry for ranting so long.

And I've just re-read what I've written and am slightly unable to believe I said that. That's so...un-me. Honestly, if you knew me, you would think what I argued there was completely the opposite of what I believe in. Egh. Who's selling out now.

*Fizz, ultimate contradiction and sleep-deprived sell-out :p

Fizz (who has my current favourite s/n on Interference
biggrin.gif
) -- you judge your own impulses too quickly. I'm going to infer that you and I have similar feelings about things, and yet I, too, could have posted as you did. People have a hard time with the word "compromise." We need a new word, I think, one that implies negotiation between equals, common ground, win-win. As "compromise" once did. Bono learned the hard way that pointing fingers does nothing, really, but let you feel morally superior. (Which ultimately offends a Christian sensibility. -- It does mine, at least.)
How many people will miss the radical politics in Bono's statement??
I really believe if we all gather forces on this and we don't create easy bad guys and good guys on this, we can make progress
Folks don't like to give up their Good Guys and Bad Guys.

Also, this quote from a 1987 interview he did with Timothy White reveals the consistency of his convictions (here, re: Amnesty):
And you know, without wanting to become Batman & Robin and just ... get in the Batmobile there and head off to Latin America or Asia or wherever and 'right the wrong,' you just find your own place. That's the thing that I feel, you just find your own place in it. My way of dealing with that was to find people who dealt with it. And Amnesty International are the best people.

He's savvy enough to recognize that his fame -- and hipness -- gain him access to people who CAN make a difference. He IS the voice of Brasil, he IS on "our side," and he's at the WEF! And he doesn't even have to be undercover! He understands his "own place." kobayashi, your comments were astute.

God, between the viewership of the Superbowl and the coverage at the WEF -- I can't imagine what that kind of visibility (WAY past mere "chart success") does to a person with real soul. Bono chose this, I know; and he was here once before, in '87/88. This is bigger and deeper, and the critics will have bigger teeth. I'm praying for his strength and inner balance.
Godspeed, brother.

Deb D

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if this Angela Christie doesn't actually exist, or is one of the reporter's friends. Her comments just seemed to fit the story too conveniently.

Not to mention the numerous inaccuracies throughout the article that really make it hard to take this writer seriously (Bono's a Roman Catholic rocker? This guy obviously doesn't do his homework). As for this councilwoman for the Council of Canadians, has she ever met with Bono? Or is this her opinion just on the "rock star meeting with politicians" thing? All the politicians who have met with Bono come off saying that they're surprised by how much he really has done his homework on the issues. They expect him to be this rocker pushing for peace and that's it, and he really knows his stuff. Obviously this writer wouldn't like to show any quotes from the likes of Clinton, Jesse Helms, and numerous others, because that would show the truth, that this writer's full of shit and just wants to stir trouble.

Another fine example of our impartial, unbiased media.
rolleyes.gif

I think what Angela Christie is trying to say is that some of U2's fans don't realise or don't want to accept Bono is serious about it. They (like her) may think he's only doing this to look cool. On the other hand, because Bono is a rock star (and having had such a full life), a lot of people seem to find it hard to believe he can be credible in such issues.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-05-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom