The Forgotten Decade of U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can upload the A Celebration video if anyone wants it...

definitely NOT my favorite video ever... :shifty:

:love:

Hoodlem said:
So let's hear it for the most neglected and underrated decade in the history of U2...The decade that started it all.

Feel free to post you appreciation here along with your favorite 70's moments.

Er sorry but no thanks. Let's face it most of the earlier 'songs' were shit. If they were any good they would have made it onto Boy. Ok maybe by 1979 they just about learned how to play but that's about it.

Lauredhel said:
A Celebration:

htt p://s21.ysi .com/d.aspx?id=0OA3D5P9MVCZ40NL7Q30GY5NJ0

Thanks for that! :up:

It's not a bad video per se. I mean there's nothing much to it, just Bono running around and the rest of the guys just playing. But it's not awful or anything. :shrug:

Re: Re: The Forgotten Decade of U2...

financeguy said:

Er sorry but no thanks. Let's face it most of the earlier 'songs' were shit. If they were any good they would have made it onto Boy. Ok maybe by 1979 they just about learned how to play but that's about it.

I disagree with this - there were a few songs that really should've made Boy, like 11 O'clock Tick Tock, and I think songs like The Fool and The Dream Is Over were at least b-side quality. I certainly don't understand why one of those two failed to make the Another Day single in favour of the Twilight demo.

and lets not forget "Father Was An Elephant" people. Which, as far as I know, is the only U2 song I've never managed to track down and hear in some form or other. I don't suppose anyone out there might have it?

skott100 said:
and lets not forget "Father Was An Elephant" people. Which, as far as I know, is the only U2 song I've never managed to track down and hear in some form or other. I don't suppose anyone out there might have it?

Well, that wasn't strictly a 70s song; it was played live a few times in November 1980 on the Boy Tour. I know recordings of it from the 11th and 21st of November 1980 are out there. I'll upload one if I can find it.

Here we go, here's a copy of Father Is An Elephant, though I'm not sure if it's from 11 or 21 November 1980:

http://www.send space.com/file/8i8bk0

Zootlesque said:

:hmm: I've been kinda thinking of getting 'U2 at the end of the world' after hearing all the praise for it here. Wonder if it covers the early days...

No, it doesn't. The writer basically links up with the band while they're recording Achtung Baby in Berlin and then travels with them around the world for the next couple of years through the whole ZooTV/Zooropa adventure. When he leaves them, the band are just starting work on Passengers. You MUST read this book though. Easily the best U2 thing ever written, especially if you love that era. The book is part "Diary of a 2 year drinking bender with Bono" and part brilliant insight into the music of that period and what was going on inside their minds when they created it (and the tour).

Lost in A Distant Planet had so much potential :(

How I wish the band recorded the song properly :sad:
All we know what happened with 11 O'clock Tick Tock, while the studio version is AWFUL and with one of the worst sounding production I've ever had the misfortune to listen to, the live version is simply unbelievable, WAY better than studio one:drool: :drool:

Damn, I'd love them to play Lost In A Distant Planet live

Axver said:
Here we go, here's a copy of Father Is An Elephant, though I'm not sure if it's from 11 or 21 November 1980:

http://www.send space.com/file/8i8bk0

THAT WAS QUICK! Thanks! Always wondered what that song was gonna be like. It kinda rocks. Not a silly as the early cartoon world, jack in the box stuff, but not as refined and focused as most of what ended up on Boy. It sounds like a great live song though. Thanks a lot! Maybe we'll add it to our live set and confuse the hell out of everyone. At 100+ songs, we're scrapping the barrel at this point. Although we just added Rejoice to our set and it rocks, drum solo and all.

skott100 said:

THAT WAS QUICK! Thanks! Always wondered what that song was gonna be like. It kinda rocks. Not a silly as the early cartoon world, jack in the box stuff, but not as refined and focused as most of what ended up on Boy. It sounds like a great live song though. Thanks a lot! Maybe we'll add it to our live set and confuse the hell out of everyone. At 100+ songs, we're scrapping the barrel at this point. Although we just added Rejoice to our set and it rocks, drum solo and all.

:lol: Yes, play it! If I heard a band playing Father Is An Elephant ... wow, that'd be hilariously awesome. Have you tried some of the really ridiculously early songs like Inside Out or Tonight? My goodness, Tonight is such a terrible song, but it's funny to listen to all the same.

And mmm, Rejoice. :drool:

ponkine said:
Lost in A Distant Planet had so much potential :(

How I wish the band recorded the song properly :sad:
All we know what happened with 11 O'clock Tick Tock, while the studio version is AWFUL and with one of the worst sounding production I've ever had the misfortune to listen to, the live version is simply unbelievable, WAY better than studio one:drool: :drool:

Damn, I'd love them to play Lost In A Distant Planet live

I agree with every word of this. Looking at the sound on Electric Co., The Ocean and Into The Heart you could imagine a more melodic and spacious sound on Planet. It would have been an even greater live song with a little studio reworking.

Love the "A Celebration" video, although it's from the 80's, so why are we talking about it?.........

Also, shocking that nobody has mentioned the video for "Lost On A Distant Planet" or whatever it's called........search YouTube for that masterpiece NOW!

A little before my time. I was only born 5 years ago. I am a Loris, afterall. :sexywink:

That said, I love 'A Celebration'. Yes, I know it's not from the '70s. I hope they re-record this song as a one off single at some point, ala 'The Sweetest Thing'.

Axver said:

:lol: Yes, play it! If I heard a band playing Father Is An Elephant ... wow, that'd be hilariously awesome. Have you tried some of the really ridiculously early songs like Inside Out or Tonight? My goodness, Tonight is such a terrible song, but it's funny to listen to all the same.

And mmm, Rejoice. :drool:

We joke about doing "Boy/Girl" or "Touch" from time to time but at a certain point you just disappear up your own ass if you push it that far. It'd be great to play some kind of U2 dork (I say that with love) gathering where we could get away with stuff like that. We did a party for atu2.com last year and we learned "Mercy" specifically for that crowd. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom