The Fly vs Untill the End of the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

So which song do you like better?

• The Fly

Votes: 85 54.1%
  • Until the End of the World

Votes: 72 45.9%

• Total voters

Hallucination

Refugee
So which song do you like better? For me I think Untill the End of the World is better. The album versions of both are fairly close but I still lean towards UTEOTW. Though live I don't think there's much comaprison, live I think UTEOTW blows The Fly away.

I wanted to make this a poll but I don't know how, or I don't think I'm able to. Normally I know how but I don't see a poll option for me. probably because of my member status. I'm a cheapy, haven't payed.:reject:

The Fly in both ways. I love UTEOTW, but The Fly just kicked my ass the first time I heard it and it still kicks my ass everytime.

The Fly for me.

Sting said:
The Fly in both ways. I love UTEOTW, but The Fly just kicked my ass the first time I heard it and it still kicks my ass everytime.

The Fly for me.

Thanks STING. hey you other people. I see how many have read this thread. Just post the song you prefer if you don't want to discuss it. I'm just curious to see what people like. You have heard the songs right.:eyebrow:

Hallucination said:

hey you other people. I see how many have read this thread. Just post the song you prefer if you don't want to discuss it. I'm just curious to see what people like. You have heard the songs right.:eyebrow:

:lmao:

It's a tough call, but I think I'm going to go with UTEOTW. They're pretty much tied album-wise for me, and they're close live...but UTEOTW gets the edge live for me.

Tough one!

As much as UTEOTW rocks, The Fly's solo is mindblowing. And its lyrics win simply for "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief/all kill their inspiration and sing about their grief".

UTEOTW but only just, i think 'cos of the way B&Edge perform it :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Re: The Fly vs Until the End of the World

neutral said:
There's your poll. :wink:

And my vote.... :shifty:

Fantastic!!! Thank you so much.:cool: I'll pay someday I swear:reject:

Axver I agree with you the solo on The Fly is amazing and the lyric you quoted is one of my favorites. I even wrote it on the wall in a bathroom at my local pub hangout. yeah I'm a loser but if Bono can spray paint graffiti I can write on walls with a Sharpie. AS for UTEOTW I think it's just the mood of the song plus I love the line "In the garden I was playing the tart I kissed your lips and broke your heart, you, you were acting like it was the end of the world" For some reason I always change it to "You kissed my lips and broke my heart"

o.k. fine! It's because it happend in real life once. geeze people stop prying:lol:

Last edited:
Axver said:
As much as UTEOTW rocks, The Fly's solo is mindblowing. And its lyrics win simply for "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief/all kill their inspiration and sing about their grief".

what you said :up:

The line, 'In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they learned how to swim'....................FUCKING AMAZING!

Therefore..........UTEOTW

The Fly. I love the imagery of this manic last phone call from hell. Random, confused thoughts spitting out. At the same time the Edges guitar part is building and getting crazier as well. It's just one of those perfect little moments where, again, the music is telling just as much of the story as the lyrics, which in the end is one of the singular things that makes the entire Achtung album so brilliant. The Fly sounds like a manic madmans last spray, Mysterious Ways sounds like throbbing temptation creeping forward from the back of your mind to action, Love is Blindness sounds like absolute heartbreak, loneliness, depression, desperation etc, Even Better than the Real Thing sounds like carefree caution to the wind, on and on.
Until the End of the World is damn near perfect as well, but The Fly just has that edge to it (excuse the pun). It's also my singular favourite Edge track. It was also THE most incredible sound I've heard leap forward from the radio, back when it was released. I don't think anything else before or since has made me sit up so suddenly from just the opening "What the FUCK is THIS?!?!?!!!!"

:ohmy: This is like the closest poll ever. Damn now I jinxed it I know it.:|
originally posted by Earnie Shavers
It was also THE most incredible sound I've heard leap forward from the radio, back when it was released. I don't think anything else before or since has made me sit up so suddenly from just the opening "What the FUCK is THIS?!?!?!!!!"

That's cool but imagine UTEOTW had beeen released as the lead single. To me the intro on UTEOTW is better than The Fly. The part when the "strobe light guitar sound" kicks in is amazing. Oh hell they're both amazing that's why the difference in the poll is a single vote.

Last edited:
I can just imagine hearing The Fly on the radio for the first time. It would be incredible. It was awesome enough hearing it on the CD for the first time. It sounds like the Devil is in hell on a phone call, and hell is going down. Hell is about to merge into the real world, and the Devil is making one last phone call to the real world until Hell ceases to exist and becomes one with ours. The solo is just incredible.. the last few notes Edge plays before the Falsetto vocals come in (who does those on the Studio Release? It sounds more like Bono to me than Edge)

But both are good... I love the imagery behind the lines "In my dreams, I was drowning in sorrow. But my sorrows they had learned to swim - Surroundin Me, Goin down on me..."

Sooooo good. UTEOTW has some nice shit too... but The Fly all the way for me! Thanks for settingup the vote!

I've seen them do the Fly in concert and I've seen them do UTTEOTW and most recently in MSG with Edge running around the ellipse doing his riff.....electricfying .:crazy:

"The Fly" was the first U2 song which I had to wake up early in order to hear. I needed it that badly.

I love both songs more-or-less unequivocally (look--equivocation!), but "The Fly" gets the nod. I love it and I always shall...I think. Never have cliches sounded so fucking smart and cool.

The Fly because it is just BAAAADD! Love the attitude of B & E......
the swagger :drool:

Two of my all time favorites. But has to be UTEOTW for me. I love the double meaning of the lyrics where on one level it sounds like 2 ex-lovers but it is really Judas talking to Jesus.

It's no secret at all...

It's gotta be "The Fly". With the exception of "Ultra Violet (light my way)" and "Acrobat", no songs come even close to that on "Achtung Baby".

And when you throw "The Fly" and "Ultra Violet" together, it only gets better: "Lady with the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)":drool:.

Back
Top Bottom