The Fly vs Acrobat vs UTEOTW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of these 3 songs is the best?

• Acrobat

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • The Fly

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • Until The End Of The World

Votes: 37 41.6%

• Total voters

Miggy D

War Child
All lyrically brilliant.

All musically amazing.

All painfully beautiful.

These are the three songs on Achtung, Baby! I spin the most, and I believe they're 3 of U2's strongest songs ever. They also stand as some of the darkest tunes U2 has ever recorded.

But if you had to choose only one of these songs, which would choose, and why?

This poll hasn't even started yet, and I'm already excited for it!

Let the fun begin!

Last edited:
i agree, all are amazing songs, i gotta admit that i cant really decide on my fav or the three, all of them are just to good :D

I know! I can't either...not right now. It's such a hard choice I thought it would make a perfect poll! I can't believe I haven't thought of it sooner. This should be interesting.

Dear god... Ugh... Err... It's painful just thinking about this. LOL!

The Fly is brilliant. Acrobat is brilliant. But in the end (no pun intended), I'd probably have to pick Until the End of the World. Everything about that song is perfect - especially the lyrics - and it's just so awesome live (see the "Best of" DVD) ... I can't even explain how awesome that song is. I just start gushing incoherently... (As I'm doing right now. LOL!)

(BTW, Miggy, which one would you pick? Out of curiousity... *G*)

Yikes. Excellent question. Can I start off the thread by breaking the rules, and choose two of them? :D

I would choose The Fly and Acrobat, leaving out UTEOTW, although I agree that they're all brilliant. My reasons? I bought the Boston and Slane DVDs within a short period of each other, and played them both voraciously for months, and for that reason only, I think me and UTEOTW need a little break from each other.

The reason I can't choose between the others - they're two amazing songs with very different vibes. They're both awesome, in their own right.

See, this is why I never reply to threads asking you to rank, or to choose favourites. It's very much a mood thing with me, and can vary almost minute to minute. :huh:

And that's my convoluted non-answer. :wink:

forty said:
Dear god... Ugh... Err... It's painful just thinking about this. LOL!

The Fly is brilliant. Acrobat is brilliant. But in the end (no pun intended), I'd probably have to pick Until the End of the World. Everything about that song is perfect - especially the lyrics - and it's just so awesome live (see the "Best of" DVD) ... I can't even explain how awesome that song is. I just start gushing incoherently... (As I'm doing right now. LOL!)

(BTW, Miggy, which one would you pick? Out of curiousity... *G*)

The Best Of performance is AMAZING! "Is this rock and roll?! Is this rock and roll?!" :drool:

If I was pressed to choose between the 3, I would, in the end, probably choose UTEOTW. Lyrically, it's amazing, and it has certain significance to me that the other 2 don't necessarily have. But the other two songs are amazing and really, choosing one of the three is painful. I've always liked Acrobat, but I have grown to absolutely LOVE the song. I'd probably rank the songs this way:

1. UTEOTW
2. Acrobat
3. Fly

All very close to each other, mind you. But yeah. Man that was hard.

-Miggy D

P.S. - UTEOTW is a better live song than The Fly. I can't rank Acrobat against the other two, live-wise. I wish I could. :drool:

Last edited:
Acrobat. This song is so good that it's beyond words.

Axver said:
Acrobat. This song is so good that it's beyond words.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

If they played these 3 songs back to back, and followed it up with Gone...

I'd simultaneously burst into tears and melt into a puddle of wax.

(Yes, I am made of wax.)

The Fly, purely for sentimental reasons. That's the song I was most excited about when Achtung Baby first came out. When The Fly first came out on the radio, I thought "What a brilliant, bold new sound for U2." I couldn't stop playing the song.

I think all three are great and I almost voted Acrobat, but my great early memories of The Fly got to me.

The Fly is my favorite song, do I need to explain myself? Non didn't think so:wink:

Who made this thread? This is like the hardest thing to choose in the whole U2 catalogue...
OK, I choose The Fly over Acrobat... :sad:
That was hard. Until the End of the World - brilliant, but not as good as these two master-pieces for me.

Until the end of the world is my all time favorite u2 song....
but the other two are absolutely brilliant as wel......

Having to choose between these songs is cruel and unusual punishment. :(

But the choice is clear. Acrobat. I like what Axver said. So good it's beyond words. :drool:

Now, miss becky, did you ever think you'd agree with me on a matter of Achtung? :wink:

It's a close race, ladies and gentlemen! We'll have to have a run-off with the 2 champions! Good night - I'll see you tomorrow! (At least my tomorrow. Your today, perhaps.)

-Miggy

Back
Top Bottom