The FLY better than Vertigo!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
lets be real here .the fly is 100% better than vertigo. not just because it has a guitar solo the song is more rock&roll than vertigo.. vertigo is more of a punk song(no guitar solo and the running time)

ya i dont like vertigo(even though edge is playing some rock guitar) the song does not have much going on and in two years no one will be listening to it just like elevation.......

but i know ill love :Love and peace(listen to the clip 3:37):
and MD.

i also think hold me thrill me kiss me kill me,, is way,, way better than vertigo!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think Vertigo is incredible, to this day I've only heard it through my computer speakers, from my download or through the net radio. But today I burned it and played it on a great system in my car. Its the greatest. That being said, "The Fly" is better that "Vertigo". Of course, it's in my top 5 all time u2 songs.

The Fly is a better song in the end but Vertigo sounded better in a first listen. We cannot know how the comparison will be in a while after vertigo gets older and stuff. And remember people, on our final verdict for songs it always counts how the live version turns out to be.

shaun vox said:
the song does not have much going on and in two years no one will be listening to it just like elevation.......

What? Beautiful Day and Elevation are the only U2 songs ignorant teenagers here know because they're the ones that get all the play. Pisses me off.

Vertigo may be a bloody amazing song, but it doesn't top The Fly.

lol shaun, whenever I read your posts, I always get the impression you are completely stoned. No offence! lol :drunk:

And yes I believe Vertigo is one of U2's greatest songs.

actuall right now im trying to force my self to listen to vertigo (i love u2) and maby it will grow on me....

when ever new u2 comes out i always play it loud so every one knows about it and i tell every one i know about it, but i have not told a soul about vertigo yet... go figure...

I am not big into Vertigo like many others here but when I heard that 30 second clip of Vertigo Remix today that definitlely got me excited to hear the full version, that's the type of U2 music I love. :drool:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:no:

When the fly came out I was blown away but not like the last 5 days.

Evidence:

I am still playing vertigo over and over maybe 10 times a day if not more.

The day the fly came out I recorded on radio (still remember the djs hyping it up saying get ready u2 fans this is nothing like what you are expecting, i think it was club vej on triple m if im not mistaken), and maybe played it 2-3 times. I was actually more blown away when they played zoo station a few weeks after.

So i disagree, especially with your comparison to elevation...Vertigo is not elevation!:rant:

I even went to u2.com today and bought 2 u2 vertigo t shirts, now the fly didn't make me do that!:)

Last edited:
What I really like about this song is that it is real - not a manufactured pop song by somebody who has won a music contest or been put together by some record company but a real band playing real music that sounds real fine. I don't care that its not perfectly played or sung or recorded - its U2 and I can't explain that bit (sorry).

Vertigo, for me, has all the passion and comment about the goings on in todays world that U2 have always been able to put into their music. I get the terrorism message, I get the darkness but I also get hope. I just can't wait to go out and dance to it!!!

Bring on the next tour!!!!!

Also, there is nothing better than looking over at the car next to you at the traffic lights and knowing they are listening to Vertigo and loving it just as much as me (a car load of boys doing that head moving thing...) .

The Fly is a better song, I agree with that, I also agree that The Fly will have a longer life span, but I don't think it's fair to compair them. They're from totally different planets, you said yourself that one is a rock song the other is more of a punk song in it's style.

I really dig Vertigo, it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen too and have a good time too. I like the fact they haven't taken themselves too seriously with this one. U2 don't always have to come out and say something every single time they release something, I say give them a break and let them just have a good time with their music. They'll never make another record like AB, that's just a fact it's not in their nature.

Also, I don't really get this comparison of Elevation/Vertigo, yep, they're both guitar orientated, and they'll both be show openers (well Elevation already was), but that's where the likeness ends to me. Vertigo has more intriging lyrics than Elevation and generally is a better construced song. It'll have a short life span, and we'll be onto something better when the album comes out. But it's a single, that's it's job, a 'scorching 45' as the B-man puts it. Play it as it's meant to be played, and don't take it all so serious! just have fun with it!

Its grown on me, and I really like it now. Although im enjoying the bit at the start where Edge(?) says "Turn it up thar Captain", less and less now. Starting to sound cheesy...

Perhaps it is because we have more emotional ties wrapped up around in The Fly...it's been around long enough to have been woven into our U2 consciousness. I am very fond of The Fly because I can remember the video, jamming out to it in my car and parties, and seeing it performed live. What can compete with that?! :huh: BUT on the other hand I think that Vertigo is totally fabulous, I liked it from my first of many many listens and I know that once the videos and other connections come with it, it will have an important place in my heart as well. Right now I'm not calling it a classic-that wouldn't be fair, but I am definetly calling it a monster of a rock song and I'm waiting for this baby to have the chance to grow up.

i have to say something!

Electric Co ..much better than the fly!

err,,,

wait!.......11 o' clock tick tock....much better than the fly!

i am sorry!....i can't decide!..everything from u2 are good!

THE FLY!

The Fly wins!!!!

33%3B958%3A723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2334%3D539%3D%3A%3B4%3DXROQDF%3E2323572399232ot1lsi

shaun vox said:
realy????

It's really difficult comparing the two songs.

I put all of my favorite heavier rocking U2 songs on my .mp3 player (there's only about 11 songs) so I could compare/contrast and, of course, enjoy them along with "Vertigo". "Vertigo" did blend wonderfully with such songs as "The Fly", "Discotheque", "I Will Follow", "Even Better Than...", "Until the End of the World", "Elevation", etc. However, is "Vertigo" better than any of these songs? Are any of these songs better than "Vertigo"?

In my opinion, no. They are about the same. They are all great rocking songs that show why U2 are a great rock band.

"The Fly" was a powerful song as it showed the world that U2 was changing. It set the tone for the new album, the tour and the new U2. As astoundingly brilliant as "One" is, had U2 released that song first, the world might have actually felt U2 had released JT-Part 2. Having "One" be the third single allowed it to succeed, after AB was already established as a tremendous change in U2's sound and look. "The Fly" was a crucial song, even though it failed to make too much noise on the U.S. charts.

I have the feeling that "Vertigo" is a bit of the same. While ATYCLB had some heavier and rocking songs, for the most part, it was a softer album. "Vertigo" is setting the tone for the new album, which may prove to be very different. Therefore, it seems that these two singles have similar jobs.

In terms of quality, I really like both equally. I've loved "The Fly" for ages now, but it isn't exactly a radio-friendly song with a great hook. It's truly more of an album song (despite the fact it was released as a single). In contrast, "Vertigo", while being a heavy rocking song, is perfect for radio as it has a great hook, it's short and is very catchy. I think artistically, "The Fly" is a bit better, but I think in terms of a lead-off single, "Vertigo" is the better song.

Back
Top Bottom